“Wasn't that bad!”
Review of Hilltop Inn

Hilltop Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Montpelier
Reviewed August 4, 2008

My brother was graduating from Norwich last year and my father called this place and made reservations for everyone. When I learned the name of the motel I looked it up here on trip advisor and I was scared!
We just needed a place to crash the night before the graduation so we figured we would make the best of it.

Well it was nothing special but it wasnt that bad! It was your typical motel room. My parents room was pretty much the same. It didnt seem dirty or gross at all..

Hey you get what you pay for and it served its purpose. For what we paid (about $80) we couldnt complain. A hotel would have been a lot more and they were all booked up because of graduation.

The pool area was a little run down but it was clean and we actually swam and had some fun.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
hilltopinn, Owner at Hilltop Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2008

Dear Reviewer,
It gives me great pleasure to thank reviewer like you to post a positive review.We have made a lot of changes and upgrades to the hotel.We would also encourage site visitors to read our reviews on expedia and orbitz.We value the business we get thru Norwich University and promise to treat every guest as a VIP.
DD/Owner.

Reviewed July 21, 2008

I stayed at this hotel because it had a coupon rate of $49.00 plus tax and WiFi. That is where the positives end.

It looks decent from the outside, but don't let it fool you. This may be the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed at. The carpet of my room had numerous stains. There were spots on the bedspread, sheets, and pillows. Even the TV screen had spots on it! Dead flies in the windows. Trash behind the chest of drawers and couch.

Did I mention the smell? Try stale incense and sweat.

This was my first and last time staying at the Hilltop. Try the Comfort Inn up the road or Best Western in Waterbury. Make reservations because they fill up FAST.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
14  Thank Jonathan S
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I book ed this after finding it to be near the area I was visiting. I was only looking for a clean room and clean bed.
I should have walked away when I drove into the parking lot. Broken hot top and trash strewn around. The front doors were pretty dirty, and walking in the hotel, a definite smell that was not appealing. It was late, and I had no place else to go, so I checked in. The hallways were littered with dirt, and I'm sure not vacuumed in a long time.
The room was disgustingly dirty. The carpet was completely covered in dirt , cigarette burns and stains, as were the walls and ceilings.I have never seen a hotel room so dirty. The room was quite large.There were two chairs and a sofa, which were stained and smelly. I was on the first floor, and could barely close the drapes that were falling off the window. I took a walk to the pool, which looked cloudy and dirty.
I didn't try the free coffee, and certainly didn't eat in the restaurant. I was thinking of sleeping in my car........

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
14  Thank emma824
Reviewed July 12, 2008

We spent one night in mid-June at the Hilltop Inn. As we opened the door to our room, the smell was terrible. It was very late in the evening and we were exhausted so we stayed and tried to make the best of a bad situation.
The smell may have been from some type of chemical they cleaned with?? I really don't know other than it was strong and unpleasant.
There were toenail clippings on the floor between the beds, and as I turned down the covers of my bed I found one long strand of black hair on my pillow and another between the sheets. I believe the sheets were clean it appears that whoever does the laundry was shedding like a dog.
Then as I began to step in to the tub the next morning, once again stopped and plucked long black hairs out of the tub.
I suggest that the housekeeping department either undergo a change or perhaps wear hairnets and be taught to vacuum.
The smell remains a mystery......

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
14  Thank texasford
Reviewed June 21, 2008

If you don't like foul smelling rooms,stained carpets, showers that don't drain,and being double billed this probably isn't the place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
16  Thank ncaafan100
Reviewed March 4, 2008

Have stayed at Hilltop before on business, conveniently located minutes from Montpelier. Friendly staff, clean room, great price!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Bethy24
hilltopinn, G.M/Owner at Hilltop Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2008

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive response,We have done some major upgrades and it really shows well.

Thank You once again.

Dave D
G.M/Owner.

Reviewed March 2, 2008

Though I had read reviews of the Hilltop I had little choice but to spend one night there. Went prepared with cleaning products, pillow and sleeping bag. Should have brought a vacuum, never saw one at the motel, and I had nail clippings on my floor. The bureau had someone's clothes in it, the sheets had hair, the smoke detector had been disconnected and the wires were hanging from the ceiling. I did not dare open the windows wide enough to clear the odd odor, as the window frames were rotting and I feared the glass might drop out. On the floor between the nightstand and the bed I found used Kleenex, the heater/AC had mold, and could not really be controlled. There were strange stains on the walls, weird stuff on the ceiling. The plastic glasses provided, though wrapped, had a cigarette burn through the bottom. I would strongly suggest that the state of Vermont look into the health and safety issues at this place.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
14  Thank strettle
hilltopinn, Owner at Hilltop Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2008

Dear Guest ,

It is quite unfortunate that your experience was not satisfactory.We will refund your entire night stay .
We are currently undergoing renovations and are doing necessary upgrades from top to bottom.We are the best value for money in the area and provide all amenities of a modern hotel at the best price.
However since your experience was less than your expectation we will re imburse your entire nights stay.

Thank you.
Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
#11 of 24 in Stowe
Twin City Motel
Twin City Motel
#1 of 3 in Barre

Been to Hilltop Inn? Share your experiences!