“Can't compare to the CIA”
Review of NECI on Main

NECI on Main
Ranked #10 of 61 Restaurants in Montpelier
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: School St.
Description: Imagine the entire state of Vermont as a food experiment or as its own laboratory where food products are grown and created for this particular climate; seasonally, organically, and sustainably. Now imagine restaurants as teaching laboratories this restaurant for instance. NECI on Main is a production lab for New England Culinary Institute. For over 30 years we have been teaching students to make connections with farmers, between the landscape and our food, and between seasons and culinary traditions. Sometimes we include food items that express a particular sense of place from outside of Vermont, or culinary traditions from other cultures, and use those items or experiences to enhance the foods grown here in Vermont. Our menu is no exception in this teaching philosophy, and reflects the best that Vermont’s farmers, and America’s next generation of young chefs offer.
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We enjoyed our supper at the New England Culinary Institute, but having dined several times at the CIA in New York, we were aware of shortcomings of the wait staff. Yet, the meal itself was innovative and quite tasty.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

As a cooking school the food is quite good. Can recommend the fish and chips for lunch, the best ever.

Neil A, Manager at NECI on Main, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear DinnyWaters,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and review of NECI on Main. Our Students and Staff appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Neil

Reviewed October 19, 2013

There were 6 of us, 2 vegetarians. We were all able to find god items from which to choose. My Duck Duo order somehow didn't get placed with the others so was late to the table but I was immediately informed that my dessert would be complimentary. The confit was disappointing - dry and tasteless but the breast was fine and cooked to my specifications. We shared 3 starters - calamari, the Greek mezze plate and cheese plate. Desserts were excellent. Since it was a Wednesday, all wine-by-the-glass was $5 - quite a bargain!

Dear neroads,

I am happy that our vegetarian selections were to your parties liking. I hope that your guests were able to try the Cauliflower-Steak as their entree. NECI on Main is always looking for new and innovative ways to satisfy our guests preferences. That being said, I would like to apologize that the confit on the Duck Duo did not meet your expectations. Your feedback has been shared with our Chef Instructors and Students in order to help them grow as professionals.

Our Wine NOT Wednesday special is one of five offers that we feature weekly. We look forward to seeing you again for a glass of wine or martinis.

Neil Archibald

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have been waiting a year to return to Vermont and NECI on Main street. We were lucky enough to get in on their Sunday Brunch.

Everything I had was so delicious that it was hard not to go back for seconds but try something else which was even better than the previous item.

Duck oh so tasty, salad fresh and crisp, smoked salmon buttery and sweet, flank steak rare and juicy, hash browns were very different then any other way I have ever had them but wow tasty. The hit? Butternut squash soup with pumpkin oil and pumpkin seeds.

Ginger bread pancakes, all they were missing was vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce!

The only thing missing was rolls and butter, but with all the other amazing dishes didn't miss rolls at all.

I guess I am glad I do not live in Vermont, otherwise I would be spending way too much time here.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Our visit to Vermont was for the famous foliage and we chose to stay in Montpelier because of the central location and budget lodging. I read from the Scenes of Vermont foliage forum for tips and advices and NECI was mentioned as a fine restaurant to try out in Montpelier. So we went. The greeter was very warm and welcoming, and so as the waitess. However, I am not sure if they are like L'ECOLE of the French Culinary Institute in NYC where they have students working in the restaurant or not. I can certainly understand that if that's the case because while the young waitess was very pleasant, she didn't do what she was supposed to do, at least not in a timely manner, e.g. gave us the steak knives only until we asked, misheard "turkey burger" as "vegi burger", let the empty bread basket sat there while we had our main courses, etc. I have one major complaint but not sure whose responsibility it is: two of us ordered root beer and they came in small glasses (like those for brandy) full of ice. both of us finished them in less than a minute and we were asked whether we would like to have another one. we said yes thinking it's free refill as many restaurants do that AND the glass size was just too small. the second round they came in standard soda glass size. so we were happy because we didn't have to keep refilling them. however, when the bill came, they charged us each and every glass, $2 each. what really bothers me is the first glass was just too small and I am suspecting that they served us the first root beer with the wrong glasses. Besides, the food wasn't that great. I've heard that Vermont is famous for it's farms and meat. so two of us ordered from the specials the sirloin but they were a bit tough. one friend ordered ducks two ways and her duck was overcooked and on the tough also. the tirimisu was sub-standard, not acceptable. we didn't taste any rum at all. we met an older couple there who happened to be staying in the same hotel as we. they told us that their dinners were terrible. so i am not sure it's only that night or what but we are a bit disappointed probably because we had high expectation based on the reviews and recommendations. i would probably eat there again when i am in town next time, just to support the students and give them a training ground but won't expect too much really.

1  Thank YCONWEB