“Quaint Atmosphere”

J Morgan's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
J Morgan's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 63 Restaurants in Montpelier
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tayler Street
Description: Our award winning restaurant J.Morgan's Steakhouse, not only caters to the hotel guest, it is among the top locals restaurants in the very culinary city of Montpelier. We have become known for our hand cut aged-in house steaks and the freshest seafood available in the region, homemade desserts and large portions. Our expertise in wine and great variety of our own martinis and seasonal drinks makes J.Morgan's Steakhouse a place that you will run back to.
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We sat at an outside table along the main street in Montpelier. I had salmon, baked sweet potatoe, salad and what they call 3 vegetables. My husband had steak, french fries, salad and 3 vegetables. Food was excellent, service was excellent, other customers were respectful of the close quarters. Next time we're in the area, we will be back.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

the montreal rubbed ribeye was very good. the chocolate cake and the carrot cake were wonderful! The wait staff were very friendly and competent.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

It is a very sad thing that our new favorite restaurant is 3 hours from home, so we can't get there once a week. Our usual stop in Montpelier on our way to and from Montreal is the excellent Culinary School restaurant, but it was closed on the 4th of July, so we tried J Morgan. Yum, yum, yum. The pesto shrimp salad was amazing and my husband's lobster roll was excellent, not to mention that it came with the best shoestring sweet potato fries ever.

So naturally we stopped on the way home on Sunday and, due to an hour backup crossing the border from Canada into the US, we missed the brunch and thus ate from the regular menu. Baked stuffed shrimp - excellent. Scallops with pesto linguini - not nearly as good as that pesto shrimp salad, but nonetheless very very good. The coup de grace was the most sinful garlic bread, hot out of the oven, sitting in a pool of garlic butter.

And it is all reasonably priced and served efficiently by a very pleasant staff, who were kind enough to turn off the miniature engine circling around on a tiny track that gave me a headache.

VermontTravelfamily, Manager at J Morgan's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Rogers1515,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It's always a treat to become someone's favorite restaurant.

I will share your review with our chefs and staff as they deserve the credit in making both trips through Montpelier a memorable one for you. We look forward for your next drive through our town.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Last night we ate at Morgan's and because the town was celebrating July 4rth, the restaurant was full. We had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated, although we had reservations. We were given a table next to the kitchen door where wait staff almost bumped into each other as they tried to go around our table. There were several near collisions. Our meals took a while to arrive, but seeing as to how we were there with family to have a good meal and conversation, we didn't mind.

Our meals arrived with delicious bread in oil sprinkled with cheese. This was followed by salads, also very appealing. Our meals arrived next. There were 7 of us. The men in the group ordered filet mignon, and one had peppercorn sauce. The steak got mixed reviews. There was scarcely any peppercorn sauce and this was an item that we had to pay extra for. The waitstaff disappeared after bringing the meals due to the restaurant being full as mentioned earlier, so we were unable to ask for more.
The gals ordered salad--Ceasar and the Vermont salad, and the plates were fully laden. There was enough here for two people to eat and not go hungry. Kudos on the salads.

Two teens ordered pasta and they were satisfied with their meals. Overall, dinner food was good but the experience was dampened due to the lack of personable wait staff which was severely needed. For the price we paid for this meal, waitstaff should be warm and friendly, and not disappear.

The next morning, we decided to give Morgan another chance since we were staying at the hotel. This time there were only five at the table. I looked around glad to note that there were few tables being used --about 8. There were two waiters, which should be enough to cover those tables.

Chris, our waitstaff, didn't look like he was fully awake, or else he didn't want to be working. He wasn't friendly, and it took him a long time to get our items. For instance, we didn't have enough napkins and cutlery, so Chris went out back to get some and after a few minutes arrived and simply left a heap of napkins and cutlery without sorting them in a pile in front of one person. He simply walked away without separating or distributing them to us. We asked for hot chocolate with whipped cream but received hot chocolate without the whipped cream. We had to wait for Chris who we couldn't see anywhere, and when we asked him for it, he left, and again it took a while for him to return with the cream which was in a pastry bag which he then squeezed onto the mug. (Pastry bag from the kitchen??? Never had that before.) The water for the tea was cold, and you know the rest of this story...

I must say, however, that the pancakes, and waffles were tasty.

So let's wrap up this review. Although the food was fine for breakfast, and okay for dinner, our experience with the waitstaff was not up to par, and made the meals less appealing . Truthfully, I'll look elsewhere for my next meal. I'll also let all my friends know that Sarducci's just down the street, has a very warm and inviting staff working for them. Sorry, Morgan's, I gave you two shots, and no more. What a shame!

VermontTravelfamily, General Manager at J Morgan's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear 4ok,

I'm sorry that you did not receive the high level of service that we strive to provide to our guests. Even though everyone had different reservation times, everyone showed up when the parade ended. We did our very best to accomodate and seat everyone quickly and the restaurant was filled up all at once. That does not excuse the lack of service that you received, and I have spoken to the server about revisiting her tables once the food is served. The server could've easily brought more peppercorn sauce for the steak. I'm glad that all the other meals were very good.

I shared the review with your morning server and he is very sorry for not being more attentive. Although you only saw a handful of tables, the other side of the restaurant was very busy, and he was overwhelmed. We did not expect to be that busy so we sent a busser in to help the servers, unfortunately too late to benefit your level of service. I have reminded him and the manager is reminding all of the servers that they always have to provide a high level of service. Again, I'm glad breakfast was delicious, but sorry about the service.

I'd like to send you a gift certificate so I will contact you privately to receive your mailing address.

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I have been here probably 50 times over the years and have experienced nothing but absolute perfection each and every time with no exceptions, period.