House of Tang
Ranked #46 of 63 Restaurants in Montpelier
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: Serving Cantonese, Szechuan and Mandarin Chinese favorites for over 30 years, the House of Tang continues its tradition of serving fine lunches and dinners, including buffet, seven days a week in Montpelier, VT.
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I got take out from this restaurant. While most of the food was kind of blah, the boneless spareribs were some of the best I've had.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I went with my spouse and had bumped into another group of people that I knew personally when I was there. Afterwards, I got so very sick from the food...at first I thought it may have been the flu, but the people who I bumped into all got sick from the food too! I was horrified!

2  Thank rockintrixi
Reviewed November 18, 2011

The food is absolutely horrible! Everything that was fried literally drips with grease and is overcooked and dried out. The lo mein same issue drips with grease. The fried rice tastes like canned dog food and has nothing in it but rice but they call it pork fried rice. The place is filthy too. I would not eat here unless you have no other choice. Not much else good in Montpelier so head north to Burlington!

1  Thank IzzybellysPaPa
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The other reviews are right-- give this place a miss. It's dirty, worn, and has all the ambiance of a gas station. Tired, brown, gloppy "Chinese" food. I occasionally eat there when my dining partner chooses the restaurant, but as for me, I'd never chance going here of my own accord. The food just isn't appealing or tasty, and i keep wondering if I'm going to get sick from eating it. Give it a miss-- drive to Montreal to eat Chinese.

7  Thank MontpelierGuy
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I gave this restaurant 2 points because I'm feeling generous. I moved to this city over a year ago and have been to them all . There are NO "good" restaurants - none. Reviews from anyone from this area can be deceiving as they are unaccustomed to REALLY good restaurants. Tang's floors, tables, chairs and bathrooms were dirty (food scraps, carpet stains, etc.) on every visit. The buffet selection, compared to a good Chinese buffet, is scant and taste is not up to par. Many of the dishes are dried out and/or tough due to sitting in steam pans way too long. The restaurant is lax in refilling empty buffet pans so....don't wait. The decor is a shrug - if you have ever been in a beautifully appointed Chinese restaurant, you know what I mean. Tang's 'decor' is 80s style American & shows the wear. The atmosphere is another problem. Too bright lighting, lots of loud people, running kids and elbowing rude patrons means this is more like a McDonald's than a nice restaurant for an evening out. The staff is friendly enough, NOT exemplary, just adequate. The price of a meal is about double what it should be. I say this because I have dined in HUNDREDS of Chinese buffets across the country. If you are a visitor, drive out of town - central VT DOES have some good restaurants. If you are local, spend $12 a person on a gourmet home-cooked meal with candles and you will be far better off.

4  Thank snaffujay