“Refreshingly beautiful food”

Cuisines: Contemporary, Soups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2012

After arriving in Montpelier with no idea where we were to stay or eat this place was a fantastic find. A little bit of a walk out of the way of the Main St but well worth the trip. It would be recommended to book, we didn't and were lucky to get two seats at the front counter. The food is well priced, lovingly prepared, not an extensive selection but fresh produce, locally sourced creatively cooked. Limited seating (less than 30). Servings were sensible and tasty, Very friendly staff absolutely committed to good food. BYO which was great, supermarket near with great wine selection. For diners who truly appreciate well cooked food SALT is not to be missed, the most memorable meals we had in the USA over 21days, great value for money. Very casual dining, the visit to SALT enhanced our Vermont experience.

1  Thank Paul H

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We arrived late on a rainy Saturday night, with no reservations. The restaurant is small, maybe 8 tables? anyway, after a 15 minute wait they were able to accommodate the 3 of us. They were out of tuna, our first choice, but the lamb and the chicken were outstanding, as was the heirloom tomato soup and the beet salad, we were too stuffed for desert, although they looked delicious. And the service was excellent. I would definitely go back when traveling in the area.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

After reading about Salt and checking the web site, we decided to celebrate our son and daughter in law's second anniversery there. It's a small, simple dining room in a plain building off the beaten track. The menu changes every three weeks and is written on a large chalk board. We tryed a wide selection of the offerings. The food was interesting, tasty, and well presented. Special attention is given to local, fresh ingredients. I liked the book shelves filled with food and cook books, a nice touch in a creative environment. Be sure to call ahead, seating is limited.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I don't even know where to start with this place. It was one of the most satisfying dining experiences I have ever had, how that's for a start? The menu was adventurous and unique. The service and decor was casual and refreshing.

I really can't stop thinking about this place. Unfortunately, as you will certainly read, it is not for everyone. I think people see the reviews and think that it is a conventional place. It is not. There is no liquor licence, so it's bring your own. (Great, I think.) Also, some people seem to have an issue with the service. I thought it was excellent but again, it is a very casual and familiar style. cf. Bohemian.

One table of girls behind us certainly did not appreciate the set-up and were rather disruptive in their abuse of the wait staff as they poured vodka into their glasses from a Texas mickey. Unfortunately, I'm unable to rate their performance on TripAdvisor....

In any case, I have reservations in a few weeks as I am swinging through VT and can't wait to try their new menu (it changes every 3 weeks). See you soon!

1  Thank DM42
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Delicious locally sourced food, cooked with creativity and passion.If you appreciate wonderful food that is cared for from the field to table Salt is for you.