“Amazing, beautiful cakes!”
Review of Birchgrove Baking

Birchgrove Baking
Ranked #2 of 4 Dessert in Montpelier
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Birchgrove Baking is a cozy bakery located in Montpelier, Vermont. Every day, we prepare an assortment of breakfast pastries, scones, cookies, cakes, and tarts, all baked from scratch daily. We also offer house-made warm, fresh doughnuts on Sundays and, seasonally, our own ice cream pops, in addition to coffee and espresso drinks. Of course, we also offer wedding and birthday cakes and would be happy to work with you to plan the perfect cake for your event. Come by, grab a coffee and pastry and enjoy our quiet back deck overlooking the waterfall.
Reviewed July 3, 2014

For the past two years, my in-laws have ordered the most creative and wonderful cakes from this bakery. One was an incredible pyramid with gummy mummies inside. This year, it was a dragon on top his hoarded gold. These cakes are delicious and utterly beautiful. If you want a custom cake with creative flair, this is the place to go.

BirchgroveBakers, Owner at Birchgrove Baking, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback! We're so happy you all enjoyed your cake! It was definitely a lot of fun to make. We hope to make many more cakes for your family -- the kids always have such fun and creative themes. Thank you again for your review and we're looking forward to seeing you and your in-laws for next year's cake challenge!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This was the most awesome tasting bakery I have ever eaten. Extremely friendly staff. From out of town, but will go back there next time I am in town!

BirchgroveBakers, Owner at Birchgrove Baking, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you so much for your review! We love having out-of-towners find us! We're a little off the beaten path so we appreciate that you made the journey to visit. Thank you again and hope to see you again when you return to Montpelier!

Jenn and John

Reviewed September 22, 2013

The staff at Birchgrove Baking were extremely friendly and inviting (which is not always the case at chi-chi coffee houses). However, the carrot cake I had was not worth ingesting the calories. The cake itself was bland and the frosting tasted simply like cream cheese (with a very subtle hint of sugar). Next time I will visit the other coffee shop on State Street in Montpelier.

BirchgroveBakers, Owner at Birchgrove Baking, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for the constructive criticism. I'm so sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your carrot cake! Our customers typically request less sweet icing, so it's hard to please all palates with every item. We hope you don't judge us on the one item you had and would love for you to give us another chance. We have many different pastries that cater to a wide variety of tastes and hopefully you'll try us again. Just let the baristas know that you prefer things a little on the sweet side and they can definitely direct you to something that you might like better. If you have any questions or would like to talk to us, you can always ask for Jenn or John -- we're always here! Thanks again!

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I love the variety of bakery items, the warm atmosphere of the store itself and the friendliness of the staff. It is always one of the highlights of my week to stop by and see what's been made - especially if they've made the duffin (an amazing combination of donut and muffin that easily makes my list of favorite baked goods ever).

3  Thank Eag180
BirchgroveBakers, Owner at Birchgrove Baking, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for all of your comments! So nice to hear that our staff is appreciated -- we think they do a great job, but it's always better to hear it from our customers. And those doughnut muffins seem to be a consistent hit, so those will be frequently in the rotation!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I moved to Montpelier from NYC and let's just say, humbly, that I know good eats. I don't recall how I found the Birchgrove but I will say that my life in VT changed from that moment on. I have happily bought and eaten their cakes, pastries and cookies for over 3 years now and have yet to try everything that they pristinely offer on a daily basis. Their baked goods are OUTRAGEOUSLY top notch, the space colorful and inviting and the staff and owners greet me like a true friend. If you live in Montpelier or are coming to visit us, your experience absolutely must include a visit to this bakery for some rich coffee and a perfect treat. Cheers to 100% YUMMY!

2  Thank MISSGMT
BirchgroveBakers, Owner at Birchgrove Baking, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for your feedback! It's great to hear that we're doing a good job -- we try our best! Thank you so much for being a loyal customer! Always much appreciated!