“Amazing building; amazing tour guide!”

Vermont State House
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Montpelier
More attraction details
Owner description: Gold dome building located in Montpelier.
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Took friends from the UK and we had a wonderful and highly informative time. The building is beautiful.

1  Thank Kathryn D
There are newer reviews for Vermont State House

Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was the highlight of out day in Montpelier. Less than 30 minutes drive form eastern Burlington. The grounds are nicely cared for. The building is in great shape for it's age and the climate zone. We had the option of a self tour and went that way not knowing how our 1 year old would last in an umbrella stroller. The architecture and craftsmanship are just lovely. The rooms for the Legislature are smaller that I'm used to in the Iowa State Capitol, but they are rather nice. The tour we caught up with was very educational. Outside are statues of Ethan Allen, cannons from various wars, and a green space perfect for kids to run around on.

1  Thank Michael R
Reviewed October 28, 2013

we walked up to the capitol building to discover a landmark building you can tour. It is like walking around on a piece of history. The outside is very lovely in the fall with the leaves turning and the gold roof. Worth a 1/2 hour to hour visit.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I would not recommending visiting until this major construction project is over. I drove into town and I left at once. The town was filled with dust and noise. Right near the capitol building that people wanted to see, there was a huge project. I don't know what they are doing. I assume it will look better when finished so check and see before you make your reservations. I was really glad I did not stay at a hotel in Montpelier as the whole vacation would have been ruined. Most people go to vermont to get away from noise dust and big city like atmosphere.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

As a photographer, I really much enjoy it if an attraction, especially one run by the government is photography friendly. So this is going to be a very photography specific review:

When I visited Montpelier, VT last week I have to admit, I didn't even know it was the capital of the beautiful state of Vermont as it's a rather small town-like city in the middle of nowhere.

Once I got there, I quickly realized that this beautiful building must be the capitol and since it was a rainy, rather cold day in October, we had time to kill and decided to check if we can see the state house from the inside.

Having done a tour inside the US Capitol in DC, I assumed that I needed to leave my camera bag in the car as they anyway wouldn't allow big backpacks inside government buildings, boy I was wrong....

Not only do they allow photography inside the entire state house, they don't even bother about tripods which I didn't bring because I never in the world thought that they would let me use it. We joined a free tour with a very knowledgeable tour-guide who showed us the senate chamber, representatives' hall and the governor's office. Once the group moved to the next room I stayed inside the previous room and took my time to photograph it without anybody inside but me and the camera. All the guide was asking is that the last to leave the room put the rope back in place - I gladly took over that job.

So if you are ever near Montpelier, VT - make sure not to miss that tour inside the Vermont State House.

1  Thank Ingo M