“Best in Montpelier”

Kismet
Ranked #6 of 64 Restaurants in Montpelier
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: If you don't live in Montpelier, Kismet is reason enough to plan a road trip! The chic, farm-to-table, community-oriented restaurant is Montpelier's best organic restaurant and offers up an inspired menu featuring fresh, local ingredients and meals crafted with love. Chef/owner Crystal Maderia creates seasonal craft cocktail and dinner menus that are sophisticated, creative, and complimented by her natural wine and artisan beer lists. All dishes are made naturally with local meats, organic produce, and sustainably harvested regional fish and seasonings from the restaurant's very own garden. It doesn't get any fresher than this! A great atmosphere, an inspired and nourishing menu, and a friendly staff make Kismet a local favorite.
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I am a local, and have eaten at every restaurant in Montpelier SEVERAL times. I never tire of Kismet. I love that I can trust the quality of the ingredients... always with an emphasis on local. They do an awesome job of balancing creative and rustic cuisine - something familiar with a twist that makes it more delicious than you have ever had it before. Their drinks - both alcoholic and non are delicious... I crave their ginger lemon martini... lattes, maple breve, FRESH vegetable juice with salt and pepper rim... I could go on. Atmosphere, music, and staff are all warm and pleasant. If I had to choose only ONE place to eat in Montpelier for eternity... it would be Kismet, without blinking.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I have written a review of this restaurant before but it was their "Secret Sushi" day serving a completely different menu. So to be fair, I am writing another review on my experience when they had their regular menu.

I called during the day to make a reservation and left a message. They called back while I was away and left me a message that we were all set as I requested. When we got there, it was already packed but there was a table waiting for us.

It was warm and toasty, very comfortable and my feet were not cold like I experience at many other restaurants. (Outside temp was in the mid teens.)

We ordered glass wines, a stuiffed red peppers for an appetizer, a gnocci, and chicken breast entree, all to share. They use interesting ingredients (such as quinoa in the peppers) and try to be innovative (the Gnocci sauce had cardomon, cilantro, yogurt, like Indian curry). The chicken breast was most and tender all the way to the end, not a dry part. "From Farm to Table" program is working, I think.

The only thing was that the Gnocci dish was so small that I thought if I had ordered it just for myself, I wouldn't have been satisfied. We were happy to share three things, all different flavoprs. On the other hand, the stuffed red pepper comes in two halves each with plenty of stuffing so it was just right to share and too much for one person.

We also shared a truffle dessert, which was very good.

Their menu is not huge but covers the ground in a price range of $18 - $23 for an entree. The space has a small bistro-like atmosphere, active and cozy but not too overcrowded with one table on top of each other. It was loud enough to be happy, but quiet enough to have a conversation without yelling.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Group of 4, awesome mimosas, everyone's breakfast or lunch was really good. We had one of the XO burgers, huevos rancheros, french toast, and the squash crepes special. All excellent. Cute restaurant, not too long of a wait at 1pm on a Saturday. Definitely would recommend if you are in or around Montpelier, it's a nice half way point on the way to Burlington.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

From the moment I walked in the door, I loved this place but I really didn't know why. Friend who lives in the area gave me four choices of where to eat so in reality, it came down to the name. Very cozy--it was a cold night and it was nice and warm inside. We had a reservation and were seated immediately. I'm a pickyish eater but found a few things on the menu to decide between, decided on the duck which was exquisite. It was served w/buttermilk spaetzel--they were tiny, not the type I was use to but very flavorful. I substituted the seasonal veggie (roasted beets) in place of the mustard greens. Even though it's not suppose to be eaten this way, I asked for the duck to be cooked more towards the well done than rare. Again, the flavor was delicious and the duck was still tender. The smells in the restaurant were heavenly and we had a delicious bottle of a French pinot noir-first sip out of the bottle was delightful and a perfect pairing w/the duck. Friend had scallops which she said were wonderful. Had to go for dessert--salted caramel on the bottom, next was chocolate mousse and whip cream on the top, lived up to my high expectation. Wish I was staying in VT another night so I could have gone there for brunch and another dinner.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

First off, I just can't understand why so many people like Sarducci's (other than the LCD factor ;-), as to me it's just crowded and noisy with ordinary food. NECI can be good, but it's highly variable based on the dish and who's cooking it. I don't get to Montpelier that often, and the late, lamented Pheobe - which had previously occupied this location, was my clear favorite.

On my way back to Boston from Stowe (and points north) yesterday, I stopped in town to give it a try. I actually usually bypass lunch, so only had two Oysters Rockefeller and a bowl of the acorn squash with maple cream soup. I'm more a gourmand than a gourmet, but I found both dishes tasteful and satisfying, and reasonable for $12.

My only complaint was the constant clatter of the waitress's hard heels against the wooden floor, which both interfered with the music (Jazz as I recall) and the otherwise relaxing atmosphere. I'll be back for dinner sometime.