“Brunch for Linner”

Kismet
Ranked #7 of 61 Restaurants in Montpelier
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: If you don't live in Montpelier, Kismet is reason enough to plan a road trip! The chic, farm-to-table, community-oriented restaurant is Montpelier's first organic restaurant and offers up an inspired menu featuring fresh, local ingredients and meals crafted with love. Chef/owner Crystal Maderia creates seasonal craft cocktail and dinner menus that are sophisticated, creative, and complimented by her natural wine and artisan beer lists. All dishes are made naturally with local meats, organic produce, and sustainably harvested regional fish and seasonings from the restaurant's very own garden. It doesn't get any fresher than this! A great atmosphere, an inspired and nourishing menu, and a friendly staff make Kismet a local favorite.
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was waiting for some friends and sat at the bar. The bar lady was really pleasant. I started off with an "ABC" - Apple, Beet and Carrot juice which is made fresh for you at the bar. Delicious. Then I ordered a biscuit. Not your typical homemade Southern biscuit or Bisquick biscuit out the box, but a nice fluffy and creamy herbal biscuit that was grilled and served with two different types of jam. Holy COW!!!! Delicious.

I had the cider soaked pork with scrambled eggs, potatoes, sharp cheddar cheese and root veggies. My friend had a poached egg with chicken livers and gravy. The chicken livers were cooked to perfection and tasted very fresh. My pork meal was fantastic. Not alot of pork (which was ok). The combination of flavors worked. Nothing overpowered each other. I cleaned my plate and am still full. I won't be having lunch or dinner today.

There are newer reviews for Kismet

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Kismet is a hole-in-the wall type of restaurant so prevalent nowadays, with first-class food but impossible acoustics! (This seems to be a much-ingored issue in restaurants.) It appeared also that the members of the wait-staff did not communicate well with each other, such as dealing with inside=temperature issues. Do it for the food, but bring earplugs!!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Marinated and braised tempeh is delicious. Had it at dinner one evening, and then the next day at lunch! First time was in their grain and vegetable bowl: brown rice, steamed veggies, tamari roasted sunflower seeds, crispy kale and this wonderful tempeh, with a miso ginger dressing. Next day I had their tempeh burger. Oddly, their hamburger buns are not vegan, so I ended up having it on bread. Great sandwich, with pesto, vegan aioli, red onion and tomato. Definitely rivals NYC vegan restaurants! Oh, and I almost forgot -- their ginger/chocolate cake. A little on the dry side, but tasted so good!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

The brunch is great, prices are pretty average by Montpelier standards and the drinks are quite good, especially the Bloody Marys. The service was slow the last time I was there and we were told a few servers did not show up. As others have said, its quirky, but with an interesting menu and good flavor. Its a great option in Montp.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Kismet was an interesting experience with only a few flaws. Arriving a few minutes early for our 7:30 reservation we were told the people at our table were still finishing dessert and we would have a few minute wait. Being flexible we took a seat at the bar. Over a half hour later our table was finally ready. I'm glad we didn't have a movie to catch for we wouldn't have made it. The food was phenomenal, yet the service was less than great. It took twenty minutes for our baguette and olive oil to show up and seemed as if there were too many tables for the few waitresses. Once dinner finally arrived ( gnocchi and a burger) we couldn't stop raving about each bite. I would certainly recommend Kismet for the food. However, when it came time to pay we were informed that they do not accept credit cards here. What restaurant in the 21st century doesn't have a credit card machine. There is even an app for that!

Overall I would suggest venturing out to try Kismet, with a reservation, some patience, cash, and no other plans for the night.