“Best Comfort Inn Ever!”

Comfort Inn at Maplewood
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Montpelier
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I'll make this short & sweet..........everything about this facility is first class!

Room Tip: The suites are very roomy & comfortable.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed February 11, 2012

Comfort Inns can be a hit or miss but was pleasantly surprised when I walked into the nice lobby area. Staff were very welcoming and efficient. Room was good size with fridge, coffeemaker, free wifi and free domestic phone calls. Complimentary sodas, milk and cookies were available in the lobby lounge. Breakfast area was nice and breakfast buffet was pretty good too again with friendly, helpful staff. Checkout was as pleasant as check in and receptionists seemed to care about there customers. There is an Applebees just in front of the hotel which was handy. Would not hesitate to return when in the area again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stay all over Vermont frequently and Comfort Inn's in other parts of New England. This is the best one by far. The staff is over the top friendly and helpful. The whole motel is very clean, and little touches like cookies, free soda, free water and Kuerig machines seperate this from other places. The weekend I stayed here, the rate was an actual bargain. I would go out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2012

My husband & I have been staying at this Comfort Inn for the past few years while we visit nearby cross country ski resorts. It is much more affordable than places farther north in Stowe. It is conveniently located right off I- 89, between Montpelier and Barre.The hotel staff is pleasant and friendly, from the front desk to the housekeepers and breakfast room attendants. The complimentary breakfast is among the best we've had at similarly priced motels. Whole grain waffles, Vermont made maple syrup, scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, french toast, bagels, yogurts, cereal, pastries, etc. The rooms are comfortable and include a large flat screen tv (appearing to be HD), room refrigerator and microwave. The bonus was an in-room Keurig coffee maker complete with Green Mountain Vermont coffee. We really liked the local touches, which makes the stay seem very Vermont, rather than a generic motel room. The room included two double beds for $99 per night which I considered a good deal. the lobby is spacious and comfortable. This establishment is only three miles away from the state capital with ample opportunities for a fun evening out. If you head in the other direction, you will also find restaurants in Barre. It's a best bet for us...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swiftmom
Reviewed January 27, 2012

After reading several verrrry discouraging reviews of other motels in the Montpelier area (dirty, ill-equipped, care-less staff) my wife and I called the Comfort Inn at Maplewood and were pleased right from the start. I inquired about AARP or other discounts and when the clerk found that we were coming to the area for a funeral he noted that a "bereavement rate" was available and offered it to us. We booked and were quite pleased with all aspects of our stay here with one exception - but that was addressed promptly by the staff. We found the inn to be attractively decorated, plenty of coffee, hot chocolate, tea, snacks available both in the beautifully decorated lobby as well as in our room. The staff, both the evening staff upon our arrival and the morning staff the next day, were all extremely courteous and genuinely interested in making our staff a satisfying one. The room was large and comfortable, the motel was easily accessible from I-89, and contrary to other reviews we found the morning breakfast to be excellent and the breakfast staff to be extremely friendly, also. This is NOT a cold muffin and coffee breakfast (Continental); this is a full menu breakfast offering waffles, cereal, juices, toast, bacon or sausage, condiments, etc. Well done! The only problem we encountered was a noisy heater/AC unit in our room. The staff immediately offered to move us to another room, but since our arrival was quite late evening, we declined and said we'd be ok for the night. The next day upon checkout, the desk staff made a sizable adjustment to our bill in light of the "inconvenience" of the heating unit and our willingness to be ok with it for the night. Very much appreciated and very appropriate response with no pressure from me. If we are in this area again, this will be the very first place I call to look for accomodations, I assure you. Good service all around!!
Larry M. - Coventry, CT

Room Tip: Request first floor - accessible from several entrances.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2012

It is certainly not the best in Montpelier. I can say that after staying here last week on business that the rooms are ok, Breakfast is so so. Breakfast could be better as they serve mostly cold stuff. For the price paid for the room, the hotel could use some upgrades. I will stay elsewhere next time around.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank WilliamTBoston
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Although we enjoyed our stay for the most part, when I had called ahead to book an extra night at the hotel on the front end of our trip, I was told I had an "odd name" by the lady at the desk. When we arrived, I discovered she had not booked us for the additional night. To be fair, the room was nice, and so was the lobby, which had games, cookies and hot cider... all very nice.

But there's more. The day before we left, I called the front desk and asked if we could get late checkout. It was not late in the day, early afternoon... my son wasn't feeling well, and I thought he could use a little extra sleep. There was much hesitation (and not the greatest attitude) on the phone. I was asked how late I wanted, and I said 1:00. I was made to hold while the receptionist checked with housekeeping, and then I was told I could only get until 12:30. I said that was fine, but the next morning we chose not to take any extra time and checked out at around 10:00.

When the guy at the desk asked about our stay, I told him it was very nice, but I mentioned the fact that we weren't booked for the extra night on arrival. (I didn't mention the "odd name" comment... it's a Greek name, btw, and most people like it.) Then I told him about the difficulty over my request for late checkout. I was pretty much scolded by him (yes, really), in front of another guest, and told I should have requested late checkout when I originally booked the reservation instead of the day before checkout. No apology for anything. That's when I decided to write this review.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kkat642
Vermonterwantingsun, General Manager at Comfort Inn at Maplewood, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2011

Thank you for your honesty in regards to how you were treated at our Hotel. It is unfortunate that we did not have a chance to discuss what bothered you about your stay while you were here. To be honest, I need to apologize profusely as I was the one who checked you in. “Odd” meant “unique” and I am so sorry that you took my response to heart in the manner that you did.

As for the late checkout issue: no we did not handle your request in a professional manner and I again apologize. We try to accommodate as many Guests as possible with late checkouts and had I known the circumstance of your request, we would have found a way to make it work for you.

I would love to speak with you one on one to discuss how you felt when you left our hotel. We value your opinion and would love for you to give us a second chance as well. Please feel free to contact me by phone at any time.

Sue Martin
Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Capitol Plaza
4 mi away
High Hill Inn
High Hill Inn
#1 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to Comfort Inn at Maplewood? Share your experiences!