All reviewscookiesmaple syrupgas stationbottled waterno elevatorfront deskwafflessoft drinksbaconapplebee's restaurantboard gamesroom was cleanoff the highwayright next doorfree long distancelittle extrasking suite
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Pros: Free internet, soft drinks, cookies, GREAT BREAKFAST included (highly recommend the waffles!), and nice customer service. They let us check into our room hours before schedule and within 10 min's of arriving to our room they called to see if we needed everything. A/C worked great - which was invaluable because it was HOT outside! Very affordable price as well.
Cons: Ice machine broke, TV had some grainy channels and no disney channel! Also, NO POOL.
Overall, for the price and location, I couldn't have been happier with our stay. If we are in town again we would definitely book here.

Room Tip: If you are in town for funeral, ask about funeral rate
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank huskiefan_11
Vermonterwantingsun, General Manager at Comfort Inn at Maplewood, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

Thank you for your wonderful review! We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again!

Management
Comfort Inn & Suites at Maplewood

Reviewed July 5, 2011

As a Director of Sales of a high end Vermont hotel myself, I feel compelled to write my first personal review on this site. I have read some of the other reviews and find myself asking if they stayed at the same hotel that I did! Everything went as well as it could possibly have gone. We checked in early and were welcomed with open arms; we also felt no prejudice checking in as a same-sex family. Gordon was our check-in and check-out agent and he was great. I especially liked that he said "don't be afraid to touch anything in your room" when it came to no hidden fees with anything. Keurig coffee in the room, bottled water, free soda, fresh baked cookies & milk in the afternoon! Our room was one of the older rooms and it was clean and well appointed with a mini-fridge and microwave (perfect for a family!). We also enjoyed the free internet as we had just come from two nights in Burlington where we had to pay $10 a day to connect. Breakfast was fabulous with regular and chocolate waffles available! The kids were very excited about the two different kinds. We found everyone to be helpful and friendly. The week before our stay our eldest daughter needed a hotel in Montpelier so she stayed here as well. She raved about it upon returning home so we knew it was a good place to call when we decided to visit Montpelier. Although the rates had just gone up for the season, the agent on the phone was willing to match the rate we had paid the week prior. Thank you for the great customer service, and we will be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mrsvermont
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Everything was just ok. Despite our requesting early checkin, they had no record of it in their system and made no effort to get us in before 3pm even though they could see we had a four-year-old who was obviously tired. The clerks at the desk weren't very well-trained and had a bit of an attitude. The hotel is old so there is no elevator and no automatic doors which makes it all but inaccessible if you have special needs. For what they charge for rooms, you'd definitely expect more. No pool and tacky advertisements for restaurants and area businesses on all sorts of things from the channel guide to the room keys. Also, don't expect late checkout. Not very accommodating. On the plus side, they are the one hotel with availability in town when all the other hotels are booked. Not really a surprise.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TheWanderingArtist
ranchguru, Manager at Comfort Inn at Maplewood, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Thank you for your honest opinion of our Hotel. We appreciate your feedback.

I sincerely apologize for the lack of understanding on our part in meeting your needs. Had Management known there was an issue, we would have stepped up and made certain that a room would have been available prior to check-in time. Our staff strives for excellent customer service and obviously we dropped the ball on your stay. We do also offer late check out - all you have to do is ask.

If you are in the area again - please contact me directly and I will ensure a wonderful stay.

Sue
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed June 16, 2011

This was a miserable experience compared to our past experiences at this hotel.

The smell upon walking into the building was overpowering, and it got moreso by the time we reached our room. They must have just cleaned the carpets, PLUS they had started using strongly-scented laundry detergent, and I was incredibly uncomfortable. I put my 4month-old down to sleep and could barely put him down in the sheets.

They did switch us to a room that had not had the carpets cleaned, but the sheets and other bedding was just as bad as the first room.

We have to go up to the area this weekend again, and I have yet to make reservations because I wish there were a decent place we knew to stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank berkley11

Thank you for your honest review. We appreciate your feedback.

I wish I knew when you stayed with us and what room(s) we put you into. Please call me directly to discuss as the issues you faced could be a combination of the pollen in the air, scents from our new rooms or a new sheet smell issue. Our Housekeepers have been opening windows to let the wonderful Vermont Spring Fresh Air scents in - sometimes it IS overpowering.

Regardless, I would love to make this right for you. Please contact me directly at 802-229-2222 and we will discuss options for your future stay with us.

Regards,
Sue
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at Comfort Inn three times during the early and mid-summer of 2010. After our first experience, we would have stayed at another hotel but the options are few in the Montpelier area and the arrangements were made by our employers.

We found our room clean and spacious, more than acceptable in every way. We noticed no dubious looking people staying there, as some other reviewers have stated, and it was quiet.

Our stay was unexceptional and I wouldn't even write a review about it except that I noticed none of the other reviews mentioned one thing that might be very important to some people - as it was to us. This hotel has a big parking lot, two long sets of steps up to the front door, and no elevator. One of us had recently had surgery that made this long walk, pulling our luggage and various bags with us, a real ordeal. When we finally got inside, we found there was no elevator and we had to walk up a lot of stairs to our second floor room. This may be no issue to a lot of people, but I wanted to bring it up for those of you who, for whatever reason, can't walk a long distance or up a lot of stairs. Other than that, we found the hotel perfectly acceptable, if overpriced.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room
  • Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Picklepod
ranchguru, General Manager at Comfort Inn at Maplewood, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

Thank you so much for reviewing our location. We appreciate your feedback and your business.

Your comment about folks requesting to be on the main floor is a great one to make. Unfortunately, our hotel was built without an elevator. BUT we are always here to help with your luggage and will make every effort to accomodate your needs.

Please never hesitate to contact us with any question or future business needs.

Management