“Plus & Minus”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Montpelier
Massachusetts
“Plus & Minus”
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Stayed here 8/23/09 to 8/24/09. Room was recently remodeled, and was clean and pleasant, but had a faint mildew smell. Weather during our stay was very humid. The bathroom door would not close at all, as the door appeared to be warped. At our request we were assigned another room, also neat and clean, but the bathroom door also was sticky and only closed part-way. Since they had no other rooms in close proximity, we chose to stay in that room. Walls are thin, and we were able to hear with some clarity, the conversation taking place in an adjacent room at 5 AM. Also, the housekeeping staff had not turned off the alarm clock set by a previous guest, so that we were rudely awakened at an early hour. The A/C unit in our room kept shutting down before cooling the room, so that the room remained very uncomfortable through the night. There are very few lodging choices in the City of Montpelier, and this hotel is very conveniently located in the center of the city. It presents well and is clean and bright.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Nevada
Reviewed February 25, 2009

While visiting Montpellier we found a B&B, “Betsy’s”. We rang the bell, yet no one answered. We noticed a beautiful cat in the living room, but concerned about allergies, we drove away and stopped at “The Inn at Montpellier,” where we were curtly greeted by a hostess who was less than friendly. Disappointed, we excused ourselves and drove to “Capitol Plaza Hotel & Conference Center”. The very friendly front desk staff and a quaint lobby gave us relief and made us think we had finally found a nice place to spend the night.

After we checked in and went up to the room, we realized that we had paid $150 for what looked and smell like a low-rate motel, but as darkness was setting and we had been driving all day we decided to make the best of it. To start, the desk chair had stains, the carpet had stains, and the heavy draperies were so dirty that you could see and smell the dust on them, coupled with the fact that there were no sheers. The bedspreads and the blankets looked very old…..we wondered if the owners or management have stayed at a Hyatt, Hilton, or Marriott lately to get an idea of the new linen covers that hotels are using to make the bed cleaner. Even their low-budget hotels have nice linens! Some tiles on the ceiling had pieces falling and they had brown water stains all over. We kept wondering when one was going to fall on our heads! The hangers in the ‘wanna-be closet’ were secured on the bar as they do in motels. Who pays $150 a night to steal hangers?

And there is more…..the toilet had no lid and looked like one from a gas station. The shampoo and hand lotion didn’t have a hygienic seal, plus they have one of those wide-mouth bottles that are easily refillable. The bathtub had so many black stains from residue of non-slip decals, that it looked disgusting. Plus there was mold in the corners of the bathtub. Most of the white towels had yellow stains; both the hand towels and the bath towels.

What a disappointment! They definitely need to invest in renovating their hotel rooms so we travelers don’t feel as we are being ripped off considering there are not too many other choices for lodging in Montpellier.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeanChasers
VermontTravelfamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, May 15, 2009
It should be noted that at the time of the guest's visit, the hotel was undergoing a complete renovation. The hotel rooms each received new carpet, vinyl wallcoverings and curtains with sheers. The rooms now offer the comfort of having plush down comforters and 4 pillows per bed. In addition, we are currently building a fitness room.
Rhode Island
Reviewed January 16, 2009

Pros:

Location, location, location: it is right in the heart of the city. Easy access to not just government buildings, but other areas as well. Many restaurant options in very close proximity. I just wish I was there when it was not so cold that I was constrained to the hotel restaurant for breakfast the second day.

This is a first-class operation, and I say that despite some of my less-than-positive comments. They have the potential to do so well.

I arrived late Wednesday night and was treated extremely well during the registration process.

The room was very nice. All one could want, including many available electrical sockets! How I wish I could explain the benefits of such to the other places I stay. I found it clean, with none of the attributes from the last review. Despite having a room that fronted one of the main streets, noise was never an issue.

Breakfast was very nice. Only drawback for me, as a business traveler, was that it didn’t start serving until “the servers showed up”, which in this case was a little after 7:00. I liked the honesty of letting me know that it depended on things, but I am used to having a meal available earlier. Not a big deal.

I have to give a shout out to Sarah, who was on the desk the first morning of my visit. She was very courteous and helpful, going beyond expectations to help me. She deserves to be commended for her attitude and courtesy.

Dinner was very nice, with a mixed group of diners. There were the ubiquitous legislators, conducting business, relaxing, or both. There were also many locals. Dinner was presented well and my entrée (steak) was cooked to order. Service was a bit slow, but didn’t concern me. The ambiance was very nice. I will eat here again when I stay here.

Cons

No newspaper delivery to the room. I inquired at the front desk the first morning and was immediately given my choice of newspapers. The second morning I was charged 75 cents for the local fish wrap, and when I mentioned it had been gratis the previous day, the person behind the counter seemed shocked. It may seem like small stuff to some people, but I am a newspaper reader, and I don’t see why this hotel doesn’t do something even the most inexpensive chains seemed to have figured out.

The shuttle service to the Department of Labor (where I was in meetings) was good first thing in the morning, and useless the rest of the day. I, unfortunately, had a vehicle with a dead battery and needed to rely on that form of transportation. After they ignored me for lunch, I gave up and took public transportation back to the hotel at the end of the day. It was a nice touch initially, that ended up leaving a very bad taste in this traveler’s mouth.
In the interest of allowing a server to have a bad day, I will withhold how I was treated my last morning in the hotel restaurant. I don’t want to brand a place based on one experience, especially since it was diametrically opposed to my experience the previous morning.

No skim milk. No further explanation needed. C’mon, this is the 21st century, and you guys are operating in a state that promotes good health. Please don’t insult me by giving me 2% and telling me it is skim.

I will give this hotel high marks, and am sending my comments to management, in the hope that they improve some improvable things.

Oh, one more hint: don’t discuss Demo critic politics in the lounge. The Vermont Republican Party has its offices on the fourth floor of the building, and the politics of those who were “regulars” are extremely right-winged. It was a surprise for me, and I only offer this to help others avoid what I ran across. Like sex and religion, ask about sports, or something inane, like the weather; you will be more comfortable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No free daily newspaper
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank manfrompawtucket
Boston
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Stayed one night en route to Montreal. Big mistake. Dirty room. Dirty bed sheets. Dirty towels. Dirty tub (enough to make you want to not shower). Bed bugs. Rank smell in hallways. Carpet coming up. Great if you're in college and need a place to crash with your buddies after drinking all night but otherwise steer clear.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelaloLoco
Brooklyn
Reviewed July 15, 2007

Overall, we had a lovely time at the Capitol Plaza. The room was clean and the bed was amazingly comfortable. It is also the first hotel I have ever stayed at with colored sheets. The staff was friendly. However, there were a few glitches. I was unable to book a room via the internet and ended up having to call after a few tries online. Speaking of the internet, the hotel is supposed to have free wi-fi and it does, just barely. We never got more than 2 bars in our room and many times, no matter where we pointed our laptop, we could not get any signal. We were just on vacation, but for business this would have been spotty. It is still probably your best bet for Montpelier. The location is great and while you're in town check out the restaurants at New England Culinary Institute- delicious.

Stayed July 2007
6 Thank kewpie_pubie
Fort Worth
Reviewed August 3, 2006

We stayed at this property for two nights in July. We booked this hotel through inntopia.com. Upon arrival, our reservation was 'lost'. Luckily I had my confirmation and they managed to find a room for us. The front desk staff was very helpful. The room was smallish, but adequate. We had a great view of the 'downtown' area. (Montpelier is very small) The room was clean, neat and very functional. We ate breakfast downstairs one day and the food was excellent, and the service was great. Highly recommended.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — slightly cramped
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank joyp
North London UK
Reviewed April 30, 2006

We stayed at this hotel basically because it was all we could find in Montpelier. As such it did the job pretty well. The staff were pleasant and efficient. the rooms were big, well decorated and clean, but a little basic for the price. No minibar, but vending machines on each floor. Only real problem with my room was excessively noisy air conditioning unit outside it.

We ate in the resturant that evening, food again was generally good, typical American steakhouse fare. One point make sure you specify the type of vegtables you want. My partner didn't and got jacket baked sweet potatoes and brocolli. Steak and salad were fine, and desert a dream.

As a one night stop on a journey from Maine to New York it did the job.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank Dagdabear
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
#2 of 4 in Montpelier
Betsy's Bed and Breakfast
Betsy's Bed and Breakfast
#3 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to Capitol Plaza? Share your experiences!