“Great location and clean rooms”
Review of Capitol Plaza

Capitol Plaza
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Montpelier
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel. We did use the fitness center which had adequate equipment especially for a hotel. It was clean throughout the hotel, very plush towels and it was very quiet. We even had a room facing the street and we didn't hear a thing. We had a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
VermontTravelfamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Thank you oneyearride for your very nice review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. I will share your good comments about the clean room and soft towels with our housekeeping staff. They work very hard and love to hear the nice words from guests.

We look forward to seeing you again, the next time you're in Montpelier.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is a great hotel but I was a little off guard on check in. That's when you are given a room based on your assessment of the person on the other side of the counter. When the man could not find my room right away in the stack and asked me if I booked on the internet it should have alerted me. They did not have my reservation, even though I booked it two weeks in advance by Expedia. I was given Room 436 by the man with the glasses at about 5:15 pm Friday June 27th. Ok there was a wedding on and the place was packed. I felt I was given the worst room in the place, that darn Room 436. Classic disaster. It was next to the noisy roof top air conditioner that has a vent out side the entrance door in the corridor. Next to the elevator of course. All night noise. The Travel 101 bit: ALWAYS ask to see the room before you commit to it. I didn't. I should have. I will next time. Capitol Hotel you are a beautiful building to stay in. I'll be back!! Next time I'll get a better room.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Eburkartjr
VermontTravelfamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Hi Eburkartjr,

Thank you for staying with us and for your review.

I'm sorry that you were not given good service from the front desk when you checked in. We pride ourselves on providing a high level of friendly service and when we fall short, we will work to fix it. Your room was the same one reserved when you made your reservation on your own through the internet. It just happens to be one of the smaller Colonial Queen rooms and it is next to the elevator and roof fan.

Though, unfortunately, we can not control the sounds of the elevator, the roof fan is on a timer, and should have turned off in the evening. I've asked the maintenance man to check to see why it did not turn off. It looks like the timer is working, but I'm learning that someone can inadvertently override the timer. As this is out of my comfort, I've asked him to come up with a way to ensure someone can not override the timer.

I would've corrected the situation for you before you checked out if I had known of your experience. I have made a credit to your room. Please accept that as my apology.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and town enough and would stay with us again. Please call me directly and I'll assist you with your reservation. If you do make your reservation on line again, please give myself or the front desk a call to ensure it is a room that will be comfortable and restful for your visit.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed a week and found the hotel and "attached" restaurant, J. Morgan's, to be the perfect combination for our family's needs. Our room was nicely finished, well maintained and the housekeeping staff was friendly and efficient. The front desk personnel were very accommodating. Our son found the fitness facility well equipped (and this comes from a certified personal trainer). The food at J. Morgans was just amazing. Every meal was beautifully presented and totally delicious. The wait staff was very friendly and completely attentive. We will stay here again when the opportunity presents itself.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This old hotel is well maintained and run by an extremely friendly and well-trained staff.
The room was spacious and spotlessly kept.
We had a reservation for one night after our previously chosen site came up short of expectation.
We ended up staying three nights, Friday through Sunday.
On Saturday, the Capital City Famer's Market is held just behind the hotel. Fun.
The hotel is connected to J. Morgan's Restaurant which is very convenient.
We'd return if our journey took us to this part of the country

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BandB-Lovers_30-yrs
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We planned our son's rehearsal dinner at Capitol Plaza in VT from NY. The sales manager was with us from start to finish, arranging details, answering emails, and making great suggestions. The day of the event, the staff was friendly and professional and all of our special needs were accommodated seamlessly. The food was also delicious--wedding guests were commenting about this the next day. The convenience of having our guests stay right on premises was a real advantage since most of our guests were from out-of-state. Rooms were comfortable and clean, and our friends/family occupied close to 20 rooms. We definitely received personal attention from this independent, family owned hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank longislandmom2014
Reviewed May 30, 2014

My preference is usually to find local hotels with character rather than the standard chain properties, but often the tradeoff isn't worth it as "character" can be synonymous with "inconvenience". That is NOT the case with the Capitol Plaza. Rooms are spacious, the staff is friendly and efficient, and it has an outstanding restaurant (J. Morgan's Steakhouse). The only significant concern was their very small elevators, but I was not inconvenienced by them even with a major conference underway in the hotel. The location is ideal and there is free parking for guests in the large lot behind the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank lightbreadman
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I had a group of professionals who stayed and worked at the Capitol Plaza hotel for several days. The rooms were comfortable and clean, the location excellent, and the restaurant exceptional. We experienced some issues during our stay which I brought to the attention of management. Among those were an archaic system of dealing with internet access and a couple of customer service related concerns.

I have to say that I've never experienced such a professional response from hotel management when I brought these issues to their attention.

In summary here is what to expect at this hotel:

1. A clean room in a wonderful location.
2. Attentive staff... please take the initiative to bring any issues to their attention and it will be dealt with in a professional way.
3. A wonderful restaurant (especially if you are in town on a Sunday night)
4. Some outdated internet practices that are being resolved by the management... (perhaps they will be resolved by your stay!)

In sum, I can't express more appreciation for the attention that the management took to the concerns brought up during our stay. I would recommend this hotel if you are staying in Montpelier. It is not the standard hotel but a welcome downtown presence in the Green Mountain State's Capital.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
Stowe Mountain Lodge
Trapp Family Lodge
Trapp Family Lodge
#6 of 24 in Stowe

Been to Capitol Plaza? Share your experiences!