“Excellent weekend stay!”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Montpelier
Boston
“Excellent weekend stay!”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

In town for a shower a few friends and I stayed Capitol Plaza Hotel for weekend. Our rooms were on third floor facing the town. Rooms were clean and looked newly updated. The beds had all white soft bedding, I'd guess down. We all slept great. Big flat screen tv, keurig coffee maker and safe in closet were pleasant surprises. Totally recommend brunch at Morgan's restaurant!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sporty1234
VermontTravelfamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Hi Sporty1234,

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your weekend stay. I will pass on your positive review to our staff. We try to put the newest amenities in the guest rooms to give our guests a wonderful experience. Thank you and we look forward to having you visit again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I read the reviews and they were pretty accurate. Not many accommodations in the area to pick from so I guess it could have been worse. Front desk personnel is not friendly or personable but adequate. Room was small and very old looking. Feels like I just went back in time at least 50 years. Price seemed high for such a old place that's not updated. The best part of my experience was the on site resterant that was great but very busy. Good thing I made a reservation. It seemed very inconvenient to park & carry luggage a long way to elevator. Elevator very sm & old. I really can't beileve that the capital of Vt dosent have more to offer. This place needs major renovations .

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Foodie10465
VTTravelFamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Hi Foodie 10465,

Thank you for staying with us at the Capitol Plaza Hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed your dining experience in J.Morgans Steakhouse and I have shared your review with the server who delivered your cookies. Out staff strives to provide a high level of service to our guests. With regard to your guestroom, you were staying in one of our Colonial Guest rooms, that were intentionally designed to give a more old-fashioned country inn feel. All the standard guest rooms were completely renovated just recently, and we are in the process of re-designing the Colonial Guest Rooms to give them a more modern feel. There are two elevators on property, one is the small historic hotel elevator in the lobby and the other is a large elevator near parking lot entrance. Our staff should have explained that to you at check in, and more importantly, offered to help with your luggage. I have shared your review with them as well. Thank you again for your review.
Stow, MA
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I recently stayed at the Capital Plaza for business and as a frequent traveler I was impressed with the service of everyone. From the front desk to the chamber maids to the wait staff in the restaurant - everyone was eager to please. The rooms were very nice - great for a business traveler or vacation.

I was surprised at how good the breakfast was - their home fries are a must! They are well known for their steaks and mine was great.

The location is also good - you can walk to the small downtown in two minutes and Ben and Jerry's is just a short drive away. I highly recommend the Capital Plaza.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Shelley H
Plainwell, Michigan
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The hotel is downtown, near the capital building and within walking distance of restaurants and shopping. Check-in was quick, clerk helpful. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. We were visiting our family, and for our purposes it was ideal. The rates were a bit high but other housing options were farther away and in many cases, in sorry condition.
We had a 3rd floor room, in room Kerig coffee service was nice but no mini-fridge.
There is a restaurant, which we did not eat at as there were many dining options to sample.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Wanda1973
Albany, New York
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stayed here in February as we were visiting my Mom at the Senior Complex she just moved to.

The Hotel was quaint and quite lovely on the outside. The inside was another story entirely.

It appeared that this hotel really needed some money put into updating/upgrading the place. The rooms appeared old and the furnishings and rugs needed replacing. We found mold growing in the inside of the shower curtain when we went to use the shower.

The bed mattress also seriously needed to be replaced. We also noticed debris of sorts behind the bed on the floor. Their housekeeping needs to spend a little extra time in the rooms it seems.

Front desk people were nice and polite.

Some investments in that property would make this a nice hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DonnaAlbany5
VTTravelFamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Dear DonnaAlbany5,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry that you felt the rooms needed some updating. Within the past two years, we replaced all the hall and bedroom carpets as well as the furnishings. I have passed on your housekeeping concerns with our housekeeping supervisor. Each of the rooms are inspected after the cleaning, and your areas of concern are areas they should be double checking. The housekeeping department takes great pride in providing a high quality clean room.
The next time you visit your Mom at the Senior Complex, please let me know so that I can ensure everything is perfect.
Manager, Capitol Plaza Hotel
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed January 8, 2012

It had been over a year since my last visit to this hotel, and I was hoping it may have gotten better, but it's not. To start, I waited about 25 minutes to check in because there was some sort of computer problem. The clerk apologized, but didn't seem to have any idea how to fix the problem and was obviously annoyed at my presence.

The rooms here have never been glamorous, but historically they had been at least well kept. The pictures I took show the state of the room upon arrival- the grubby tub and unkept bed is exactly how I found it.

In summary, this is still the must pick option of all the hotels in the central Vermont area- and it would be fine for $75/ night but at $150 (and that's when you get a good deal)- it's a total rip off. I recently stayed at a Comfort Inn that was 100 times nicer for 1/3 the price. If you are traveling to Vermont for pleasure and you don't HAVE to stay in Montpelier- I highly recommend commuting the extra 30 minutes to Burlington or considering one of the inns in Stowe.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Yainey
VTTravelFamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Dear Yainey,

Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We strive to provide the highest level of service and amenities to our guests. I have shared the review with our front desk staff and housekeeping staff to address your concerns. Last summer we selected the 32" LED TV in your room because it was energy efficient. Just this past month, we replaced the TV's on the 3rd and 4th floors with 40" LED TVs. The Colonial Rooms and Suites have 46" LED TV's. The bedding is a down comfortor with duvet changed daily, and if not fluffed properly, will settle. The housekeeping supervisor will work more closely with her staff to ensure done correctly.

Please contact me the next time you are visiting us so that I can ensure everything is perfect.
Lilli Cain
Glover, Vermont
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for first night 2012 - the hotel is very conveniently located, with free parking behind the hotel. We chose this location to walk to local restaurants / venues for a romantic stay.

Montpelier is a pretty safe city and there are no concerns, however the hotel (and the rooms) is accessible to anyone walking into the building as it is sharing office space in the same corridor as the hotel room.

We stayed in a double queen room. The bed was not comfortable (you could feel the coils) and new mattresses are in need. The heating unit was very noisy and the walls very thin which means you clearly hear noise from the adjoining rooms. The bathroom was very clean and hot water available at all times. The coffee machine in the room was convenient. There was no mini-fridge in our room - ice machines on the same floor. There is a small but clean and nicely appointed gym on the 2nd floor as well.

The restaurant on-site has a nice menu, however hotel staff (check-in, hotel, store) during our entire stay was not friendly nor helpful. Service was subpar, and we were not so politely told to go elsewhere for dinner as we did not have reservations. We understand it is a busy time of year, however we still were looking for food and we usually prefer a polite refusal to a <dah, what were you thinking> attitude. Overall the second floor of the hotel looked renovated with tasteful wallpaper, however the building is from the 1990's and it really is a 3 star hotel with thin walls and a noisy environment.

It is the best value for the location as it is the only one in town! Would go back again with no romantic expectations. Perfect for business / one night stay, great location, Montpelier is a very small and nice town and everything is accessible walking distance from this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Genevieve9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
#2 of 4 in Montpelier
Twin City Motel
Twin City Motel
#1 of 3 in Barre

Been to Capitol Plaza? Share your experiences!