“A little more effort...”
Review of Capitol Plaza

Capitol Plaza
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Montpelier
Burlington, Vermont
“A little more effort...”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I wasn't sure what to expect from my stay, as the Capitol Plaza really is the only hotel in town. I made a reservation the day before my arrival, then adjusted it the day of arrival to save a little money by selecting a different room type. ($40 more for a king rather than two queen beds? Really?)

When I checked in around 6pm, the front desk attendant seemed less-than-thrilled to be working. When I called attention to rate on my check-in card being incorrect, he hesitated- almost as if to say "do you want me to change it?". It seems his internal better judgement won out and he manually adjusted the rate. While all of this was going on, there was a hotel staff member looking to get help with some keys. I was pretty surprised that she kept interrupting the check-in process. Finally I think she realized it was a little inappropriate and stepped back until I was all set.

I had also brought a bottle of champagne with me, and asked if room service could bring up two glasses whenever they had a chance. I was promptly pointed in the direction of the restaurant to get my own glasses. I really enjoyed juggling my luggage, coat and 2 champagne glasses while fumbling for my room key.

The room was very nice and well-appointed. Everything was in good condition and I was surprised to see a Keurig coffee maker. I loved the Bath & Body Works bathroom amenities. In the morning, we realized the curtains were not very light-blocking....

As we were getting ready to leave by 11am (earliest check-out time ever...) we had housekeeping knock on our door not once, but twice. I understand they want to get a jump on cleaning the rooms, but maybe a little more communication between the front desk and housekeeping would help avoid the awkward "I'm in a towel, not quite ready to leave" conversation.

I work in a boutique hotel myself and was a little disappointed with the level of service from the staff I encountered on arrival and housekeeping. On the flip-side, the staff I spoke to on the phone while making and altering the reservation were very nice and the front desk associate at check-out was very nice.

As the only game in town, I think they may have gotten a little complacent on the guest service attitude.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cindy M
VermontTravelfamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Dear Joanne U, Thank you for staying with us and your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your room and all the amenities. I wanted to clarify that the difference in price between the two styles of rooms is because the King bed rooms, we refer to them as Colonial Rooms, are a little more upscale and have 46" LED TVs, and Refridgerators, in addition to the Keurig Coffee Machines and amenities.
WE pride ourselves on providing the highest level of service, and are disappointed that the standard was not met with your visit. I want to assure you that we have spoken to the individuals involved and reemphasized the importance of good customer service.
On your next visit, please be sure to let me know if we can do anything to make your stay more enjoyable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Montpelier is a very nice little town and this hotel fits right in with nice decorations up for thanksgiving, a fireplace and old-style decor.

The rooms are spacious and functional. The staff are very friendly and always say hello to you which is a nice touch. We couldn't get wifi to work on our laptop though which was annoying. Was quite noisy overnight as well.

All in all very comfy place to stay when in Montpelier.

Room Tip: Although it's nice to have a view of the main street and mountains, the road is surprisingly bus...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Recently we were booked to stay at the hotel for the last night of our holiday in the USA, but my husband suddenly contracted appendicitis and had to have his operation in the Central Vermont Medical Centre, I therefore had to stay for a further week and everyone at the hotel from the management to the domestic staff could not have been kinder or more helpful to me in my time of need. The front desk staff were exceptional. Nothing was too much for them.
The hotel itself was just right for us, 2 visitors from England. Excellent accommodation, The free internet access was vital for me to communicate with the family back home.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We arrived in Montpelier at around 8pm without a place to stay the night. We quickly saw The Capitol Plaza and luckily managed to grab one of their last rooms. The room was huge with two double beds, and a view over the main street. Along with free wi-fi it was everything we wanted for an overnight stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pw80
Midland, TX
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The staff was so pleasant. The restaurant next door was great. There's not much to do in Montpelier, but it's close to lots of things, so it makes a pretty good home base if you are touring the area.

My bed was very comfortable. My sheets were so old that they had become very, very soft. Some people might not like that so much, but they felt good to me after a hard day of "looking around." Everything was very clean in my room. There was a coffee maker. I always appreciate that.

The state house is right down the street. It's worth a quick look. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who might be in this area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank lindaabc
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for business. The location is downtown Montpelier. The location is hard to beat if you have business in the state capitol. There are limited options in Montpelier; if you want a full-service hotel the Capitol Plaza is just about the hotel game in town (there is also a comfort inn, where I've also stayed).

We arrived around 11:00 p.m. The front-desk staffer was unfriendly (enough that I tried to avoid him the rest of the stay). Our rooms were on the second floor. The hotel has a mix of hotel rooms and office space. So, for example, the NPR office was down the hall from my room. There was also a conference room on the same floor that was full of lawyers from sunup to sundown.

We didn't try the restaurant, although it gets decent reviews. I sent a fax, which was $1 a page, but the staffer didn't really seem to care about the count of pages, so it cost less than it should've. This hotel must have the only conference space in town, every day there was another group visiting. When we were there, the hotel was "full." In addition, someone at the front desk told me that many legislators stay there when the VT legislature is in session.

The room was a typical hotel room: two full size beds, reasonable linens, seemed clean. The bathroom was really tiny.

I've stayed at both the Comfort Inn and the Capitol Plaza. The CP is in a better location, access to better restaurants...but services are really limited wherever you stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Wasilla, Alaska
Reviewed October 4, 2011

The wifi/internet connection did not work. Could not get the problem resolved and the front desk was of no help. There is no way to control temperature in the bathroom. There isn't a fan in the bedroom. The sofa beds are old and uncomfortable. The room looks nicer in the photo.
There is a church across the street. Be prepared to hear the bells ring day and night.
There was a small kitchenette. So while breakfast is not included,you can store food and make coffee/tea. The exercise room is pretty nice. Stay away from the restaurant. Go to the diner on State and Maine or the New England Culinary Institute for breakfast.
We visited the little B and B's in the neighborhood. I would suggest checking them out. They had charm and ample space in the rooms. No tv but the wireless at the B and B's were reliable.

Room Tip: Ask a lot of questions
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
Stowe Mountain Lodge
Inn at Montpelier
Inn at Montpelier
#2 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to Capitol Plaza? Share your experiences!