“The most perfect wedding we could ever wish for”
Review of Capitol Plaza

Capitol Plaza
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Montpelier
Middletown, Rhode Island
“The most perfect wedding we could ever wish for”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Capitol Plaza was the perfect location for our wedding. All of our guests were able to stay and dine at the hotel (for days before and after the big event). Even now we still get comments about how great the food and service were for our big day. I absolutely recommend this place…in fact my sister just got married there as well! My husband and I hope to return to Capitol Plaza each year on our anniversary to relive our perfect day!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 22, 2011

After reading many of the reviews here, I was pretty scared about the fact that we had already booked two nights at this hotel. As a family with two young kids, I was particularly worried about the comments about cleanliness and mold. I called the hotel and they assured me that was not the case and that our room was in a section of the hotel that was renovated. When we arrived, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious and clean -- the bathroom was recently renovated and spotless. Perhaps it's not the best deal around (although in general I've found Vermont never is) but the location is right in the heart of the quaint town. We enjoyed our stay and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I stay here a lot and every time I do it irks me to shell out at least $130 for a stay as I stay in hotels 5 times as nice in NYC for less! In the end, this is really the only game in town, so they can get away with it but I feel like its more on par with a Best Western. Pros: The front desk staff is usually kind and pleasant and the location is perfect. Cons: The rooms lack in the details- the bathrooms are dirty and dated. A few of the rooms have updated flat screen tvs but they are tiny. The furniture is also quite dated. The addition of the fitness center was a really nice idea, but it falls short- the one treadmill & eliptical are shoddy- they seem like sears specials. WIFI is free, but finicky.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Yainey
Carson City, Nevada
Reviewed January 22, 2011

It's too bad we picked this Capital Plaza Hotel to stay at because we were seriously unimpressed with the cleanliness of the rooms. The bathroom was disgusting and we are really sure the toilet was overlooked by the cleaning people. The bathtub has this grungy black stuff growing on the bottom of it and the room had surely been occupied by a very smelly dog (or human ewwww). The new room they gave us wasnt much better. Never again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dangerzone
Houston
Reviewed January 20, 2011

When in Montpelier (Vermont's state capitol) or Barre area, don't bother trying to find any other place to stay that would be any better than the Capitol Plaza. The rooms are extraordinarily roomy and comfortable: bed and bath linens are wonderful, the beds are heavenly and the amenities are as good as you get at any 5 star resort (toiletries, bathrobe, gourmet coffee maker, bed throw). When you add in the relatively good hotel rate (@$180), the location of the hotel (right in downtown Montpelier within short walking distance of restaurants, movie theaters and shops), plus a FABULOUS steak restaurant and bar, you just can't want for more. I have stayed here off and on now for over 5 years and it remains a favorite and consistently top notch.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Waterford, Connecticut
Reviewed December 2, 2010

I didnt book this hotel but my wife did based on what she found on Trip Advisor.

I'm not particularly picky and found this hotel in need of work to bring it into the current century. I was afraid to go to sleep because it looked like it had been a long time since anyone cleaned under and behind the bed. Made me wonder what was living back there.

Generally the hotel was ok but the rooms need to be cleaned better.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank welovesnowmen
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed November 28, 2010

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years. Both before and after the upgrades. We were so pleased to find it, especially after trying other places in the area.
We thought it was fine and a very good deal. They did a successful upgrade - not just a cosmetic one but improving the quality of the beds, the linens and the furnishings. We also enjoy the bathrobes- one less thing to pack. I have never written a review before but after seeing all the negative reviews , I felt compelled to write.
One more thing they serve a fabulous weekend brunch- at the attached restaurant- very reasonable and high quality- it seem to be the place that the locals come for brunch. very popular.We have family in Montpelier and visit often- it has become our home away from home. Also they give a discounted rate for AARP, Triple A and Military.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
#2 of 4 in Montpelier
Twin City Motel
Twin City Motel
#1 of 3 in Barre

Been to Capitol Plaza? Share your experiences!