“Luxurious, Welcoming and Unpretentious Home Away from Home”

Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn
GreenLeadersGold level
CT
“Luxurious, Welcoming and Unpretentious Home Away from Home”
Reviewed July 12, 2008

My husband and I fell in love with each other while falling in love with this incredible inn, and its charming town of Montgomery. We stayed here for so many lovely, memorable weekends that we wound up buying a home in this adorable, community-focused town -- with incredible natural beauty and outdoor recreational opportunities. We love it so much here that in fact we just got married here! Jay and John, who are now good friends, not only were wedding guests, but hosts at their inn of a farewell breakfast for all our friends and family.

Jay and John are two of the most welcoming and friendly innkeepers one could ever hope to meet!!! Their recent renovation of the inn -- making it by far the most luxurious VT inn we've stayed in -- reflects their incredible taste and desire to give guests all the comforts of home -- if home were a 5 star luxe property!!! Their skills extend beyond the lovely decorations and eclectic furnishings (Jay's domain) to the kitchen. John makes the most incredible breakfasts you've ever enjoyed. Our wedding guests are still raving about his french toast!

We took over the entire inn for our recent wedding weekend and every single guest raved about their stay. We cannot recommend the Phineas Swann highly enough!!!!

Thanks Jay and John for everything!!!!
Sandy and Marty

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Great service in a beautiful setting. The Trout River runs cool and clear right behind the property with both shade and sun. The rest of the grounds are also beautiful with a nice little screened gazebo also available. The flowers around the yard were spectacular as well.

John, Jay, Jan, and the rest of the crew all do a wonderful job at making you comfortable and at ease. They pay a huge attention to all details. We considered ourselves "Hotel" people, and this was our first experience at a Bed and Breakfast. I hope by now you can tell we loved it.....and would absolutely recommend The Phineas Swann....

I forgot to mention the breakfasts...............fabulous!

Thanks John and Jay and their whole staff.....

• Liked — The setting and attention to detail.....very friendly
  • Disliked — The breakfasts were too good and I gained weight
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Our stay at the Phineas Swann was truly memorable. Although we only stayed one night, our hosts went out of their way to make us feel at home. But that's just it: the level of care and attention to detail suggests that my experience was not unique; the feeling at the inn is that the owners have thought of everything, literally every last detail, to make every guest feel as comfortable as possible.

Not only are your hosts Jay & John very warm, friendly, and inviting poeple, they convey the love they have for their work in crafting an environment that leaves one wanting for nothing. Emmy, who's in charge of housekeeping and other general maintenance, also goes out of her way to make you feel at home. The rooms have everything you could need, from the softest most luxurious beds to a full complement of well chosen toiletries that you wouldn't even find in an upscale hotel. We're talking high end, brand name mouthwash, "green" soaps and shampoos (non-polluting, no wrapper liquid gels that feel really high end - certainly no generic bulk-motel caliber choices here.) And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Everything feels and smells fresh, from the crisp yet soft linens to the plush towels - the place is spotless and clean, and I know I'm repeating myself here - everything smells great.

Feel like having a late night snack? I forgot about Jay's warning when he told me that I wouldn't need to by snacks before checking in. I should have. Avilable 24/7 in the main inn is a full spread of excellent knick-knacks to nosh on, from pretzels to candy bars to chocolate covered coffee beans. Ate yourself sick and have a chocolate induced headahce from their excellent home made brownies that are also freely laying about? No problem! help yourself to some headache pills that they also provide.

The examples I list above feel almost insignificant when compared to the overall sentiment of care they've put into the inn. The interior has such a fantastic sense of style and design that you'd think they specialize in antiques. Oh wait - they do. Jay has been collecting antiques since childhood, and around every corner you'll find some kind of antique, whether painting or sculpture, that will either pique your interest or put a smile on your face. There isn't any imitation Americana or fake antiquery here - everything is the real deal, and adds nicely to the overall feeling of warmth and homeliness of the inn.

If you're looking for the kind of upscale features and pampering you would expect from a luxury hotel, but haven't been able to find it within a reasonably priced comfy & cozy B&B, then the Phineas Swann is just what you've been looking for. I've never seen such attention to detail and thoughtfullness go into every aspect of an Inn's offering as I have at the Phineas.

I didn't have enough time to get to know the owners but that will change, as there isn't a doubt in my mind that I will return. Trust me - as a frequent B&B traveller, I can tell you that you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't check out the Inn and get to know the owners if you're in the area. I can't possibly imagine how one could leave dissapointed.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
NH
Reviewed March 30, 2008

After rescheduling twice for bad weather, my wife and I finally made our way to northern Vermont for a ski weekend at Jay Peak. The Phineas Swann seemed to have lots of personality and Jay was very flexible with the last minute reschedule requests. Janice was great as she greeted us when we arrived late on a Friday. The inn has tons of personality and along with the terrific staff, made for a very comfortable stay. When we get a new dog, we will appreciate the opportunity to bring him with us. Emmy was great in the mornings with making us feel at home and delivering the outstanding breakfasts. The only thing that could have made it better would be a choice of eggs and putting coffee cream in a container instead of the little plastic cups. We really enjoyed all the nice touches and especially the "self service" snacks, drinks, games etc. They all were welcome since the weekend was a washout with rain, sleet, hail and just everything but snow. I guess it's a pretty good review when you still have a great time, despite having crappy ski conditions.

Stayed March 2008
Vermont
Reviewed March 10, 2008

This is one of the nicest places we have stayed at. We have stayed at places that have extras, free movies, homemade baked goods, jacuzzi tubs, high class bedding that makes you feel like royalty, pet friendly, beautiful scenery, friendly staff, homemade breakfasts, coffee and tea readily available, board games for families, thick cozy absorbent towels, and a kitchen to cook in when I don't feel like dining out. But this is the first place we have every stayed that has had all of these things at the same place! Some little things I have never experienced before that I enjoyed here were: watching the blue jays, chickadees, and morning doves eating breakfast while I enjoyed my own, staying dry because there were umbrellas thoughtfully placed in our suites mudroom when we needed to step out on a cold rainy evening and having many choices of herbal teas to choose from in my own suite (not a coffee drinker).
Phineas Swann is extremely pet friendly. I actually felt a little guilty for not bringing our two dogs with us.
I will look forward to staying here again.

• Liked — Not just the obvious extras, but little things as well that might be normally overlooked.
  • Disliked — Most people wouldn't mind, but to many wonderful sweets. Not a place for health nuts.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank FayeSweetins
Ridgefield
Reviewed February 27, 2008

While planning our family trip to Jay Peak, I noticed a banner advertisement at the bottom of the Jay Peak Website. The picture of the Inn was charming and everything that a Vermont Bed and Breakfast should be. When I called a wonderful man named Jay (who turned out to be one of the owners) answered the phone and I just knew this was going to be a wonderful experience.
The stay was filled with surprises! Breakfast was delicious and was presented on a beautifully set table; the Inn's doggies were great company for my 2 children; the hospitality of the Inn's staff (April, Emmy and Janis) was warm and friendly.
I will defintely return to the Inn when visiting Jay Peak again!

• Stayed February 2008
1 Thank CTFamilyofFour_8
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 25, 2008

This inn is absolutely fantastic. We stayed in the carriage house, and although a little tight, the inn had all we could ask for. Decorated properly, clean (you would never know it is pet friendly) and has all the finishing touches of an outstanding inn including excellent homemade breakfasts each morning. It was relaxing, beautiful, and cozy, just as a vermont inn should be!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Jay Village Inn
Jay Village Inn
#1 of 1 in Jay
Rendezvous Bed and Breakfast

Been to Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!