“Highly recommended”

Jessica's at Swift House Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Jessica's at Swift House Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Middlebury
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 7
Description: A meal at Jessica's Restaurant is always memorable. The recently updated dining room is a reflection of the casual comfort and style of this New England country inn. Jessica's Restaurant is located in the Swift House Inn in Middlebury, Vermont. Jessica's is just two blocks from downtown Middlebury, set in an 1814 stately home, surrounded by beautiful lawns and gardens. Jessica's casual atmosphere is the perfect place for an dinner for two, or a celebratory dinner for four to forty! Come early and enjoy our bar; Tom, with his more than 30 years of bartending experience, can fix you a cocktail or help you choose the right bottle of wine. We have won the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for our wine list for six straight years! We also have local beers on tap including Switchback, from Southern Vermont; and two brews from Middlebury, Wolaver's Organic India Pale Ale and Otter Creek Seasona.
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Jessica's Restaurant at the Swift House Inn was a pleasure from start to finish. It has been a long time since we had enjoyed a dining experience so much.
A lovely dining room, (beautiful wood paneling and a low fire going) friendly host and server, and an interesting menu laid the groundwork for a delightful meal. This is a place where you would feel comfortable all dressed up for a special occasion or just in slacks and sweater.
First we were served freshly made sourdough and rye breads, and happily, were brought whipped butter in a dish rather than the (hated by me) pats of hard butter. My husband had wild boar sausages for his appetizer, and he loved it. I tried the lobster bisque which was out of this world good (and honestly, the best I have ever had). For entree, I had steak au poivre, It was done just as ordered, and the creamy sauce was set off by the crispy onions. My husband had the duck with blueberry and balsamic dressing. He frequently orders duck when dining out, and commented that this was the best duck he ever remembered having - moist and delicious.
For dessert, I had the maple creme brulee which was excellent, and my husband had a trio of sorbets, which, he said, tasted freshly made, and not too sweet.
Throughout, our server was relaxed and attentive at the same time. This was a lovely meal which we will remember as one of the better ones we have had anywhere in New England.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I hadn't eaten at Swift House Inn in quite a while. The current chef has raised the bar in a way that guarantees a good experience for everyone at the table. For a special occasion or just a superior dining experience, you can do no better in Middlebury.

2  Thank Dickson77
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I've been living in/visiting the Middlebury vicinity for 20 years: initially as a student, now as a fan. One of my favorite things about the area is the wealth of fine dining - Boston has nothing on Vermont when it comes to restaurants.

Each visit centers on where my friends and I will have dinner each evening. Lately my restaurant of choice has been Tourterelle, which I still hold in extremely high regard. Lately, though, I have to say my experience at Jessica's (Swift House) has been consistently more satisfying. I was never a big fan of the restaurant during my students days in the mid-90's, but my last 3 visits have been absolutely amazing.

The wine list is exhaustive and without peer. The staff and host in particular are always cheerful and welcoming in typical yankee fashion. Last night's dinner consisted of the wild boar sausage followed by a perfectly cooked steak. But the eye-opener of the evening was dessert, which I ordered on a whim: banana bread pudding. I've never tasted anything like it. It was easily among the top 5 most delicious things I've ever experienced and what finally prompted me to write this review.

During the summer, I highly recommend the outdoor seating; the fresh Vermont air brings out so much more in a meal. Bottom line: you can't go wrong with Jessica's and the Swift House and odds are it'll be an evening you'll be telling others about as I am now.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Creative menu integrated with local ingredients, well executed flavorful meal with fantastic service. Highly recommended.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

This restaurant is promising, with a very interesting menu. And because it’s located right on the premises of the Swift House, it’s very convenient. But our seared scallops were not browned, the foie gras was cold in the center, and the braised lamb was tough and undercooked. Cute little bar, nice service, but the food was not up to par.