“Avoid it”

Ranked #9 of 11 Middlebury B&B and Inns
Farmington, Michigan
“Avoid it”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Bedding was dirty and towels were missing. I was reluctantly given new sheets and towels when I requested them. Some of the replacement bedding was dirtier than what was already on the bed. The place is just plain dirty and gross.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bill c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Traveling to look at the college with my daughter, I needed a place to spend the night while my daughter stayed on campus. It was a quick trip so I didn't want to spend a lot of money. It was disappointing to realize $70 was going to be the least I could spend and that it would be for a room in an old motel. My room was clean though threadbare and had a carpet that should have been replaced in 1990. It was depressing to have to spend that much for a room with such old and tired furnishings, bathroom and decor. I would have been fine if I had spent half of what I did.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Infr

Travelers are raving about these Middlebury hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Good god this place was terrible. The room was filthy, the floors weren't vacuumed, the shower wasn't cleaned, and nothing had been dusted. The door didn't fit the frame and didn't lock correctly so anyone could just open and come in. The sheets were dingy and it smelled like someone had been smoking in the room for at least 40 years. The clientele was super sketchy. As we were packing up our things the next morning, to our horror we noticed that there were blood stains on the mattress and bugs in our luggage. We wouldn't send our worst enemy here.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank BunRab11
Bronx, New York
Reviewed July 30, 2012

On a recent Saturday night in late July I came to Middlebury to visit some people. Hotels were busy and therefore expensive. The Blue Spruce said they only had a "cabin" available. I stayed because i was too exhausted to just sleep in my car. Where to begin?

1. On entering, I noticed the top screen of the screen door was torn and the bottom one was missing altogether. This was also the case with the other "cabins".
2. The cabin was "non-smoking". The cabin also stank of old smoke. Worse than a bar in fact. They did have the windows open, but this just mixed the smell with the manure from the neighboring farm, creating an all-the-more otherworldly stench.
3. The sheets were "thread-bare". I now know what this means because the sheets had holes in them and clearly worn areas where there will shortly be more holes.
4. The cover sheets were nasty. I just took them off and put them on the floor.
5. The rug looked nasty and perhaps moldy. I kept my sandals on when walking.
6. The bathroom is actually fine.
7. The place is not necessarily dirty (save perhaps for the bed's cover sheets), just awful and worn-out. I kept thinking how buying new curtains, sheets, blankets, a quick painting, and a new rug, would make the place fine. In the meantime it's like the set of the 1980s TV series "Roseanne", if they kept using the same rug, sheets, curtains, etc... through until today (while smoking).
8. In the morning I made a reservation at the nearby Greystone Motel. This is 100% better and seems terrifically luxurious after the Blue Spruce.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the cabin.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank McJasper99
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Similar to greystone motel.
Rooms were clean.
Good price.
I wish they gave complementary toiletries like greystone motel.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank traveltrips958
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Not really, but the two places are nearly identical. Cheap, right on Route 7, but not really near anything else. Purely a place to lay your head after a night's worth of activities, and then off to somewhere else as soon as possible. Not a terrible motel, just not a good one.Old School roadside Motel all the way.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank PFandtheFlyers
Long Island NY
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I saw this place online and it did not look bad. The price was only $79.00 for the night. I only needed to stay one night so I can visit Middlebury College the next morning with my wife and college bound daughter. After a very long drive from Long Island I was extremely disappointed upon pulling into the driveway. Immediately I knew this was not going to go well. My wife and my daughter stayed in the car while I went into the front office.There was nobody there and it looked run down. A woman eventually came out to greet me. She was wearing dirty clothes and no shoes. The front office was old and in desperate need of renovations. She took me to my room and all I can say is, if I absolute had no other choice I would reluctantly stay. Fortunately there was a Courtyard Marriot up the road. I spent $139 for the night and was glad to do it. I never would have heard the end of staying at the Blue Spruce. I would not recommend this place at all.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank chyman59
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlebury
Courtyard Middlebury
#1 of 1 in Ripton
Inn on the Green
Inn on the Green
#2 of 11 in Middlebury

Been to Blue Spruce Motel? Share your experiences!