“Talented chef + Innovative cuisine = Wonderful Meal”
Review of Storm Cafe

Storm Cafe
Ranked #2 of 44 Restaurants in Middlebury
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Vancouver, Washington
“Talented chef + Innovative cuisine = Wonderful Meal”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

We ate here because the Swift House Inn didn't serve dinner the night we stayed there and the staff recommended this spot. What a great discovery! The Storm Cafe is situated in an idyllic location alongside Otter Creek at the bottom of a historic Mill. You can eat indoors or enjoy your meal outside on a small covered deck. (Good thing it was covered securely, because a strong thunderstorm accompanied our meal, complete with a torrential downpour but we were completely dry.) We had early reservations, and showed up just after the cafe opened for dinner. Soon, every seat in the house (both inside and out) was packed with locals, which should tell you everything you need to know about this quality restaurant. Our meal was so good that I popped my head back into the kitchen on the way out to say hello and thank you to the chef. I told him that he and his talents were appreciated, that I enjoyed their colorful and artistic presentation of local ingredients at fair prices. It was a wonderful meal presented by a hard working staff. The chef (co-owner John Hughes) thanked me for taking the time to offer some positive feedback and said he wished more people would take the time to do that! Another good sign of a good place. Everything we had for dinner was terrific...starting with appetizers, salads, entrees and a couple of absolutely stupendous desserts. If I'm ever in Middlebury again, I will make sure to eat here again and again.

1 Thank TravelingManVan

Washington DC
“Good food, great riverside location.”
Reviewed July 25, 2010

The food here was good, but I don't remember now what I had. Anyway, it was good enough and a nice spot to have dinner and watch the river go by.

Burlington, Vermont
“Inconsistent service and food”
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Been there a few times. It's predictably decent during lunch. Last summer, we had a good dinner. Recently, we returned for dinner. The paella was worse than boxed rice mixes. The salad was a pile of blue cheese and onions with few greens. Our appetizer was dripping with oil. Our server was rude and unconcerned about the quality of food when we called it to her attention. We're not going back for a while.

2 Thank sul2400
Vermont
“great little spot!”
Reviewed January 9, 2010

We were in Middlebury and used Google places to find this gem based on other recommendations. It's a great place! The service was fast and friendly. The wine was wonderful as were the appetizers (potatoe soup) and dinner (a pork wellington). I only wish we had time for desert! I will be finding my way back here again!

Lexington, Massachusetts
“Pleasant fare, perhaps the best in Middlebury, but nothing special”
Reviewed October 20, 2009

My wife and I had dinner at the Storm Cafe tonight based on the recommendations from Trip Advisor and from the front desk at the Middlebury Inn where we are staying. (The Inn's Morgan Restaurant was closed for the evening.) The food was good, but not special or great. I had duck confit sliders and the daily seafood special which was salmon. I forget what my wife had for the appetizer and she had the pork chop. The duck slider, was, good, but not particularly creative. Any oh wow in the duck confit was overwhelmed by a large ordinary roll. The salmon was very good and the spinach side was unique (in ways I can't really describe) and tasty. I had a bite of my wife's pork and that was good as well, but not noteworthy. We skipped on desert as we where stuffed as the portions are generous.

The wine list is very basic and California oriented but decent and fairly priced.

The service was ok, but with just two working a full restuarant, the service was not always timely.

If you are visiting from a large metropolitean area, you will wonder what all the glowing reviews are about. However, I suspect, if you eat elsewhere in Middlebury, you might regret not eating at the Storm Cafe instead.

The tab came to $50 a head, not cheap but still reasonable. That included a bottle of wine, a 10% tax for the People's Republic of Vermont, but no tip. ( I did tip.)