“Great place!”

Middlebury Natural Foods Co-op
Description: The Middlebury Natural Foods Cooperative is a democratic, member-owned cooperative committed to providing healthy, competitively priced foods while encouraging ecologically sound and healthful patterns of production and consumption. Our cafe serves a variety of healthy foods including made-to-order hot and cold sandwiches, hot soups, full salad bar, hot pizza by the slice, and many house-made burritos, salads, wraps, and baked goods in our deli grab-and-go case. You can also find fresh, hot, fair-trade, organic coffee and tea.
Reviewed January 21, 2020

Excellent choices of healthy food! Friendly staff. Plenty of parking. We picked up fresh baked goods which were delicious!

Date of visit: October 2019
Write a reviewReviews (70)

Reviewed October 15, 2019

For anyone who cares about what they eat (and use), this is THE place to shop in Middlebury. The curated product inventory lining their many shelves is extensive and high-quality, with lots of knowledgeable employees about available to help, and plenty of staffed checkout lines so there's never a long wait (the same can't be said for Shaw's or Hannaford's, which have a lot more checkout aisles but often only 1 or 2 open). The cheesemonger is particularly nice and will let you sample any cheese, will cut the size down to any order, and usually has free samples out often for a cheese on-sale. Many products are sourced locally especially the fruits and vegetables, which put the quality of anything at Shaw's and Hannaford's to shame (even the local products they carry, which seem to always be older). There's a large stockpile of local and other quality meats in the coolers and freezers.

One of the biggest complaints about the co-op are the higher prices. First of all, you will pay more for quality... that's how many places lower prices, by using lower-quality ingredients. But the co-op always has both monthly and weekly sales, coupons, and a rotating 20%-off brand each week. On top of that, every Thursday edition of the local Addison Independent paper has a $3 coupon which in and of itself will more than pay for a co-op membership and thensome, on top of the cash back you get at the end of the year for being a member. I would also point out that because the vegetables/fruits/etc are local and fresher, they will last longer after you buy them unlike the ones from Shaw's and Hannaford's which seem to go back within a day or 2. Since you're throwing less spoiled produce out, you save money that way as well.

One of my favorite things at the co-op is the weekly sale island as you walk in which is usually based around a selected recipe. So you can quickly grab all the ingredients you need (along with a copy of the recipe), all of which are on sale. It's great inspiration if you need a meal idea, plus you're getting a deal. I've often changed my evening meal plans based upon what I've seen in the sale island.

If I had to give one complaint, it'd be that after the renovation/expansion, they did away with the custom made-to-order sandwiches. This seems an unnecessary loss of a popular and useful option. Now all the sandwiches are limited and pre-made for grab-and-go... but I rarely find what I want (with many having ingredients I don't want). So now I never buy sandwiches there anymore. It would seem that with the nice new huge kitchen there'd be more than enough space to retain the same deli bin they had before to continue offering custom sandwiches.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed September 26, 2019 via mobile

Fresh, locally sourced and organic delicious foods prepared for you to choose and pay by the pound. We would go daily if this was in our town. Location near Middlebury inn makes this our go to lunch spot when we are visiting the college. Nice grocery store. Bigger than it looks. Love this place,

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 19, 2019

The Coop caters to folks looking to buy healthy, nourishing food. It is very big with a huge amount of choices. I was looking for a favorite pancake mix which I get at a health food store, and they had it. Produce is extremely expensive - actually almost everything is. But you get what you pay for - except that the turnip I bought for over $4 dollars a pound was so bitter I had to throw it out.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 17, 2019 via mobile

After finding that many restaurants in downtown Middlebury were closed due to the railroad and bridge construction, we were frustrated. We didn't want another asian meal. We followed the reviews and were not disappointed. Oh my, the choices from the salad bar, prepared foods and the sandwiches were amazing. We chose a jackfruit bbq sandwich and y husband chose a roast beef sandwich. We had them heated and they were so flavorful and well put together.

Date of visit: September 2019