“Horrible!”
Review of Waybury Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middlebury
Waybury Inn
Ranked #3 of 11 Middlebury B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Horrible!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I shouldn't have even given this place one star. The room was clean for the most part, except for the spit bottle that was left beside the chair. I'm guessing it was one of the housekeepers because she always seemed to have a "buldge" in her mouth through out our stay. I believe she was the head housekeepers as I heard her and the other housekeeper joking around. The room was also very warm. The inn keeper was a bit rude and always smelled of booze. The food was very tasty and the breakfast was fantastic. I would recommend eating to everyone but for staying overnight I would think twice!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travelby_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Never, never again. True story: we made reservations for an early dinner in the dining room, with an elderly parent as our guest. Upon arrival, we were grumpily greeted by the owner, who went on to insist that we did not have a reservation. Not only had we made one, but the room was virtually empty. Our guest was simply dumbfounded, aghast at the inhospitable exchange.
We had experienced her surliness before, more than once, in fact, but dismissed it as the food is indeed quite good, and the location works well for us. We would attempt to avoid interaction with her by going to the pub, which, at the time, had an engaging bartender (since moved to far greener pastures). After one more episode when we were told there was no table for us, and then watched a trio who came later seated after admitting they had no reservation, I vowed never to return again- and have kept that promise- for years. I eat out at least once per week, spend liberally and tip well, and do not demand anything more than a decent meal and reasonably attentive service. Do the math- that business now belongs to other local establishments. When the very owner of a business sets such a dark tone, I can only conclude that my business in neither needed nor wanted.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Jeff S
Arizona
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed two nights there. The room was fine although we couldn't get the heater on. As it turned out, we were fine. The food in the tavern was quite good and the service was good as well. Breakfast was wonderful with delicious specials each day. The french toast stuffed with a strawberry cream and thick Vermont maple syrup was my favorite. They had coffee available early which was also much appreciated. I would gladly stay and eat there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

We did not stay here but we stopped for dinner because it is the inn that was used in the Newhart show. The food was very good as was the service. I was a little disappointed that we did not get to eat in the main dining room.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank BRCruiser
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My son's wedding was held here after being highly recommended by one of his co -workers. Some months before the wedding, we met with Tracey (the Inn Keeper) and I was immediately impressed with her firm grip on what it takes to make an outstanding experience. While she was flexible, she wasn't going to allow anything that could possibly "gum up the works" . We had dinner as well, and the food was outstanding! Fast forward a couple of months, and my wife had to go back to VT for a family emergency - and she stayed at the Waybury. Her stay was outstanding and the staff was supportive and personal beyond belief! (The lodging is what I would call "rustic elegance" and VERY well maintained.) My wife said - again the food was wonderful.
A few months later, and the wedding was perfect! NO buts - the food, service, EVERYTHING exceeded our best hopes! I'll end this review with my wife's (unsollicited) email after the wedding:
Tracey and Charlene-

We cannot thank you enough for doing such an incredible job for -------- and --------wedding last weekend. You really outdid yourselves...everything was perfect-the staff, beautiful garden setting, food, etc., and we appreciate your ordering such beautiful weather for the event. Additionally, all of our friends and family members, who were fortunate enough to stay at the Waybury, absolutely loved it. Hopefully, everyone did behave themselves.

Again, thank you for your patience, your time, your guidance, and warm graces.This is the stuff memories are made of.

Hope to see you in the near future sometime.

Warmest Regards.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 24phun
Rochester, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I'm sort of torn between a 3 and 4 star; obviously in a building of this age the rooms will be small, the bathrooms smaller and amenities limited, that was all expected.

We arrived around 3PM to a full parking lot (there was a wedding on property that day) and fears that we wouldn't have a room. After waiting at the vacant front desk for several minutes we found the bell tucked behind a sign on the desk and a woman came right out. Check in went smoothly but as we went to get our bags my husband asked me if I could smell the booze on her. I was just about to ask him the same thing; it was like she'd just had a drink seconds before coming to the desk. She did mention the wedding, that it would be getting loud, and that while the pub was closed for sit down service, we could go there right now and get drinks to have on the front porch.

Which is exactly what we planned to do. Except when we got to the pub the bartender told us to that he was closed to guests, that he would make us drinks but we had to be quick and he'd get us a waitress. No problem, right? Except that I didn't order fast enough. After he couldn't make a mojito and didn't have Bacardi Limon he told me that I was taking too long and he couldn't serve us. We went to the porch and he did send a waitress who served us one drink and never returned. Jake braved the angry bartender to get us another. This would all be fine if we hadn't been explicitly told that we could go to the pub to get drinks.

We had dinner in the restaurant that night, the food was very good. Venison, done medium rare and a dessert that I can't remember except that it was tasty. The wine list is limited and we made a poor selection, but that's our fault, not theirs. But the awkward service issues continued. When we arrived at the dining room we asked to sit on the porch and were told there weren't any tables available. As we waited for our waitress at our inside table we saw two people finish and leave from the porch. Of course we asked for that table and were immediately moved. Here's the thing: there were several unseated tables, and they remained that way for the evening indicating that they weren't reserved. I'm not sure why we were told we couldn't sit out there. In the end we sat where we wanted and had a nice meal.

Breakfast the next morning was included. Service alert...the waitress took our order, asking what type of toast and offering bacon or sausage. When our meals came out she apologized and said meat was not included with Inn breakfasts but we could pay extra for it. Again, not a big deal.

Its a nice place, it struggles with the service level an inn charging nearly $200 a night should have.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kim1406
Vermont
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Our friends from out of state were staying at this beautiful inn. We had a reunion dinner that night, which we enjoyed - it is a great place for such an event. The outside seating gave us a view of the extensive and well-tended gardens, and the service was good. The food, however, was disappointing. Two of us ordered Caesar salads which came without croutons - they apologized for this, but there was really no excuse. I tasted the shepherd's pie and it was tasteless. My husband's fish and chips came in a rather dried-up looking batter. I don't know how anyone else's food was, but no one complained. It seemed very pricey for what we got. There were only two bathrooms that I could find downstairs, and there were many diners inside and out - I had to wait a long time for a bathroom. I feel qualified to rate the accommodations as we have stayed here in the past.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Grandmasfootsteps
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlebury
Middlebury Inn
#1 of 11 in Middlebury
Inn on the Green
Inn on the Green
#2 of 11 in Middlebury

Been to Waybury Inn? Share your experiences!