“Inn and Restaurant”
Review of Waybury Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middlebury
Waybury Inn
Ranked #3 of 11 Middlebury B&B and Inns
Rochester, New York
“Inn and Restaurant”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I'm sort of torn between a 3 and 4 star; obviously in a building of this age the rooms will be small, the bathrooms smaller and amenities limited, that was all expected.

We arrived around 3PM to a full parking lot (there was a wedding on property that day) and fears that we wouldn't have a room. After waiting at the vacant front desk for several minutes we found the bell tucked behind a sign on the desk and a woman came right out. Check in went smoothly but as we went to get our bags my husband asked me if I could smell the booze on her. I was just about to ask him the same thing; it was like she'd just had a drink seconds before coming to the desk. She did mention the wedding, that it would be getting loud, and that while the pub was closed for sit down service, we could go there right now and get drinks to have on the front porch.

Which is exactly what we planned to do. Except when we got to the pub the bartender told us to that he was closed to guests, that he would make us drinks but we had to be quick and he'd get us a waitress. No problem, right? Except that I didn't order fast enough. After he couldn't make a mojito and didn't have Bacardi Limon he told me that I was taking too long and he couldn't serve us. We went to the porch and he did send a waitress who served us one drink and never returned. Jake braved the angry bartender to get us another. This would all be fine if we hadn't been explicitly told that we could go to the pub to get drinks.

We had dinner in the restaurant that night, the food was very good. Venison, done medium rare and a dessert that I can't remember except that it was tasty. The wine list is limited and we made a poor selection, but that's our fault, not theirs. But the awkward service issues continued. When we arrived at the dining room we asked to sit on the porch and were told there weren't any tables available. As we waited for our waitress at our inside table we saw two people finish and leave from the porch. Of course we asked for that table and were immediately moved. Here's the thing: there were several unseated tables, and they remained that way for the evening indicating that they weren't reserved. I'm not sure why we were told we couldn't sit out there. In the end we sat where we wanted and had a nice meal.

Breakfast the next morning was included. Service alert...the waitress took our order, asking what type of toast and offering bacon or sausage. When our meals came out she apologized and said meat was not included with Inn breakfasts but we could pay extra for it. Again, not a big deal.

Its a nice place, it struggles with the service level an inn charging nearly $200 a night should have.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kim1406

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Vermont
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Our friends from out of state were staying at this beautiful inn. We had a reunion dinner that night, which we enjoyed - it is a great place for such an event. The outside seating gave us a view of the extensive and well-tended gardens, and the service was good. The food, however, was disappointing. Two of us ordered Caesar salads which came without croutons - they apologized for this, but there was really no excuse. I tasted the shepherd's pie and it was tasteless. My husband's fish and chips came in a rather dried-up looking batter. I don't know how anyone else's food was, but no one complained. It seemed very pricey for what we got. There were only two bathrooms that I could find downstairs, and there were many diners inside and out - I had to wait a long time for a bathroom. I feel qualified to rate the accommodations as we have stayed here in the past.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Grandmasfootsteps
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The Waybury was extremely comfortable, and in a perfect location for visiting The Breadloaf campus in Ripton, VT. It's far enough down the mountain so that you can get cell reception. We stayed in the Dunmore room, which was pretty small, but cozy. Great breakfasts too. And very clean, and well maintained. Will definitely stay here when I return next summer. Can't wait.

Room Tip: Dunmore room, small but cozy for 2
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Marys, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here overnight on a Thursday on our way to a Maine beach vacation. Exactly what we were expecting at a Vermont Inn, plenty of antique furniture, very quiet and polite and friendly staff. We were not disappointed by the large country style breakfast in the morning. The large lobby area provides a quiet place for reading and there are places to sit outside and enjoy the surroundings of the small village and woodlands. One tip, the inn is located in the village of East Middlebury rather than Middlebury, the address on this site and others does not indicate this.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David W
CT
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed here for the weekend (two night minimum) and loved the place. The rooms are small and it is a New England Inn (think sloping floors and creaky doors), but the staff were very accomodating, and the food was great.

Room Tip: LOng Trail Room was great
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Garden City NY
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We attended a catered group luncheon for more than 30 people at the Waybury Inn, East Middlebury VT. The food was pretty good for a buffet (loved the ham). This is a pretty place, service by waitresses was good. However, the person in charge at the Inn was somewhat rude to the hostess of the event, a local resident, hounding her for immediate payment on a credit card, won't take a check, can't send a bill. We thought this was not very nice, and not very good business to hound a local person who can recommend or not recommend the place to her friends. It soured our impression

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank GC_Guru
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I didn't stay overnight here but while traveling stopped for dinner. The meal was absolutely delicious, the waitress was very kind and friendly, and best of all the outdoor patio setting was beautiful, quiet, peaceful, and relaxing. I went because I wanted to see the "Stratford Inn" from the "Newhart" show but plan to at least have dinner in the restaurant and possibly stay overnight (depending on my travel schedule) on my next trip to Vermont.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank NYYVA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlebury
Middlebury Inn
#3 of 3 in Middlebury
Chipman Inn
Chipman Inn
#1 of 1 in Ripton

Been to Waybury Inn? Share your experiences!