Swift House Inn
Inn on the Green(Middlebury)
$149
$140
$206
$169
Hotels.com
Best Western Plus Ticonderoga Inn & Suites(Ticonderoga)(Great Value!)
$149
$127
BestWestern.com
$90
$72
$60
All reviewsgarden roomcarriage housethe main housewood burning fireplaceprivate deckfrench toastclassic new englandsteam room and saunadirect tvsmall barselect registryhomemade cookiesa great place to stayposter bedbreakfast each morningroom was spotlesscommon areas
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Loved our stay at the Swift House Inn! We stayed in the turret room in the gate house. It was described as the smallest room at the inn so we were surprised that it had plenty of space, storage, and room for luggage without feeling cramped. The room was lovely...nicely decorated with touches like ice bucket, glasses, flowers. The bathroom had fluffy towels & amenities. We liked the fact that the inn is "green" and does things like recycling and has dispensers in the bathroom instead of individual bottles.

The gate house was a gorgeous old building with beautiful architecture. There is a big wrap around porch with rocking chairs. Other nice touches include homemade cookies every afternoon and a coffee and water station available to guests.

Breakfast is in the main house, which was about a 2 minute walk. Umbrellas are provided in case it's raining. The breakfasts are delicious with a choice of 4 different items each morning. You can eat in the library or out on the deck. The servers were very nice. The owner was often around chatting with guests and giving recommendations for shopping, dining, etc.

The inn is about a 5 minute walk from town.

Room Tip: The gate house is on a main street, which didn't bother us, but if you are more sensitive to noise, stay in the main house. I would also recommend staying in the main house if you don't want the few minute walk to breakfast each morning.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I did a solo bicycle trip from Boston across the White Mountains and up through Middlebury to the Northeast Kingdom. My longest day ended at the Swift House Inn, and I arrived hot, sweaty, and no-doubt unpleasantly scented. As the well-heeled guests came and went, I slunk to the front desk, ashamed, but I was greeted warmly and offered a cold-glass of "anything you want"--I chose water (4 glasses of it).
From that first moment, throughout the rest of my time there, the staff went out of their way to make me comfortable, seating me early for dinner in a quiet sunroom, filling my water bottles with cold water, and storing my bike in a special bike shed.
My room was very comfortable, with a clawfoot tub and shower (well appreciated) and air-conditioning, as well as wifi. I would address the cleanliness, the luxury, the charm, but there is no point in using words to add to their perfect execution.
The owner, Dan Brown, told me stories of his own cross-country bike trip, which may explain their gracious welcome to sweaty bikers.
This inn is a standard to which all such establishments should be held. I doubt many would measure up.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We had another nice stay in a pretty Vermont town. The Inn manger gave us very warm welcome and walk around the property. We stayed in the garden room, small but nice. We had dinner in their restaurant. Food was very good and they have an excellent wine list. Staffs again were very friendly and helpful. Another spot to go back to.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Our 3-day, inn-to-inn cycling weekend came to an abrupt halt when we found a flat tire compounded by a valve issue on my husband's bike. We had no guide or van support, but innkeeper Dan Brown came to our rescue, not only trying to fix the tire himself, but taking it to a local bike store for a consultation and parts. All this when he had a scheduled doctor's appointment and an unexpected problem with the inn's hot water heater. Somehow, he handled it all, and we were off for a great afternoon of cycling. Loved our room (jacuzzi soothed sore leg muscles), dinner in Jessica's diningroom and breakfast, especially the fresh berries on my inn-made granola. We'll go out of our way to return.
Laurie & Jeff

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our week at the Swift House Inn. The owners were very warm and welcoming. The staff was attentive and always friendly. They provided us with excellent information and recommendations for area attractions. Our room was very clean and comfortable and the grounds were lovely and peaceful. Our full breakfast was amazing each morning. I loved to be able to sit in a screened in porch or on the patio with a cup of coffee and home made cookies that were available all day. It was such a lovely week we did not want to leave and hope to return for the fall folliage.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple