“Love the old Inn”

Middlebury Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Middlebury
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 15, 2014

It was my first time at the Middlebury Inn and was pleasantly surprised! In Middlebury many times before but never had the need to stay overnight. I stayed in the Inn on 3rd floor, no elevator, but made it up and was quite happy with room! Very clean, modern amenities and large air conditioner to keep me warn or cool! Everyone was pleasant and helpful. Lovely town steps away with lots to do! I would definitely stay there again, but only in the Inn.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank nool_11
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

We're happy you finally had the opportunity to stay over in our nice old Inn. You remind me of all the locals who drive by us for years and then remark, "I didn't know you were such a nice place", when they finally stop in. We are the quintessential Vermont country Inn on the green, just steps away from the College, shopping, museums and of course our own Morgan's Tavern, one of the best restaurants in Middlebury. Thank you for your nice comments.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed at the Middlebury Inn for two nights. I requested a King size bed because my husband is really tall. Apparently King size beds are only available in luxury rooms. Well this room was anything but luxury...it was nearly the opposite of luxury. It wasn't even cute or quaint enough to be "charming" in an old New England inn kind of way. It was just old. And small. And gave me a horrible asthmatic reaction unlike any I have had in the last ten years. I'm guessing it was a result of mold but I'm not sure. All I know is after checking out and being out of the hotel for a few hours, I could once again breathe. This really dampened my experience but finding out that the King size bed fell outside of the wedding block of rates and was $20 more per night nearly ruined the stay entirely.

Another person in our party rented a room that was 2 connecting bedrooms, I think it was called a family suite. It was so small it didn't even have a sitting area in it. Really uncomfortable for a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 small kids.

Cons - Their room pricing is anything but clear. They do not post pictures of their accomodations and now I know why. The luxury rooms have nothing luxurious to them. The hotel configuration is confusing. The website is terrible. The air in the hotel caused me and several others to have asthmatic reactions.

Pros - The food was surprisingly good. The beef was actually amazing. The bartenders are friendly and knowledgeable about the area. The drinks are fairly priced. The location is great - walking distance to most things within Middlebury. There are a lot of things to do in Middlebury including restaurants, bars, breweries, wineries, a covered bridge, a creek with falls, cute old New England buildings, local crafters, a food co-op, etc. The staff at the hotel was very friendly and accomodating.

There is an adorable Courtyard down the road. It's built to look like it belongs in this cute New England town. I would stay there with its modern amenities if I were ever in Middlebury again.

Room Tip: Ask a lot of questions. There are many different sections to the hotel - the main building, an annex...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

I'm sorry you found our Inn disappointing while attending as part of a small wedding group. You did receive the wedding block rate of 10% off which all of the group received but I must say that your comment that we have mold is unfounded. I'm sorry you didn't feel well while you were here, but there is no reason to suspect that it had anything to do with "our air". Yes, it's been called, raw and dry lately in Vermont, but the Middlebury Inn does not have a mold problem.

Thank you however for the other nice comments about the food.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Went here to celebrate my 1st anniversary with my wife. Great location within walking distance of the 'downtown' area for food and shopping. The staff were very kind and helpful in picking out a restaurant our first night there. Our room (on the second floor of the main building) was clean and comfortable with a nice view of the street in the front of the building. My only real complaint if you could call it that was the water pressure in the shower could have been better, but I say that about almost every hotel I've stayed at in recent memory.

Room Tip: Definitely get something in the main inn.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

The holidays in Middlebury and at our Inn are a great way to celebrate an anniversary. I wish we had a little more fresh snow for you (we do now!), but it sounds like it was picturesque nonetheless. I'll look into that water pressure issue and hopefully the next time you come, we won't be like every other place you've stayed. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed at the Middlebury Inn many times while our oldest son attended college there. We loved staying there. The rooms varied from average to very good, we had our favorites. We always stayed in the inn, and not the cheaper motel like rooms. The lobby is my favorite ever- beautiful large room with a fireplace and lots of desks, tables, and chairs. We often spent time there reading and talking. Afternoon tea is free each day, delicious- tea, scones, jam, fruit, etc. The breakfast is great also. The inn is right in town, and it's great to walk directly into town and go to shops, restaurants, etc. You can also drive quickly into Middlebury College or take an extended walk there- we did both many times. We have many fond memories!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

There is nothing more satisfying for a Manager of a hotel than to hear from guests who have stayed often. Over time and many visits, the mistakes and quirks can come out if they are there and It's nice to hear that you had pleasant memories overall. In a college town, this is more common than other destinations. If we do a good job, we hopefully will see our visitors for at least 4 years. Thank you for your loyalty and nice comments.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were traveling to Vermont to see the color, staying 3 nights in the south, the middle & the northeast kingdom. Our stay in Middlebbury was wonderful, our accommodations at the Inn were awful. We made reservations by phone and were not told that we'd be shuffled off to a row of cheap motel rooms in the back parking lot - and pay the same price as the rooms in the main Inn! We had a small pet and understand paying more for him; however, the room we walked into was dirty, shabby, dark and looked like a room in a run-down roadside motel you'd see in a movie. The towels weren't clean, the bathroom had hair on the counter and it felt as though it hadn't been vacuumed in months. We did bring it to the attention of the front desk, asked for a different room and were told that they were full; and then got clean towels and a small amount knocked off the bill. (While explaining the situation to the front desk clerk, another customer was offered "the last room available" for $40/night less than our room). The breakfast we had the next morning was also sub-par: the service was almost nonexistent and the food was cold. Hard to believe this place is on a national historic register - don't let the outside fool you! I would never stay there again, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Motel 6 would be a better choice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M G
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

I'm not sure what advertising you're referring to, although we do actively promote our Pet Friendly rooms of which we have just five, and which may explain why we weren't able to move you. They are all in our annex section, however there is no excuse for the lack of cleanliness that you experienced nor the poor service at breakfast. For this I apologize. I'm happy that you enjoyed our town of Middlebury otherwise.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

The Middlebury Inn is a very traditional, older New England inn. The decor dates straight out of the 70's (printed carpeting and wallpaper) but the Inn is spotless. The rooms and bathrooms in the main inn are small. It is very convenient to the town and to Middlebury College. You'll need to be manage the stairs in the main inn. There is free wifi and a very nice buffet breakfast was included in our rate. There is also a very comprehensive recycling program. Free parking as well.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Comfort is what we're all looking for and I'm glad you found it here at the Middlebury Inn. I wish you were given the opportunity to ride in our elevator and avoid those stairs - it's quite a treat in our old Otis elevator. Your other nice comments are appreciated as well.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Wonderful, beautiful Inn. Everything was GREAT. Room was perfect with a big antique bed and a jacuzzi tub. Dinner was delicious. Stay here if you love old historic buildings filled with antiques but updated with all the modern conviences.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mickey F
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Thank you, thank you, thank you - it's wonderful that you discovered all the best of the Middlebury Inn. Please come back and see us (and tell your friends :)

Geoff Conrad

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlebury
1 mi away
#1 of 11 in Middlebury
Greystone Motel
Greystone Motel
#3 of 3 in Middlebury

Been to Middlebury Inn? Share your experiences!