“Very nice room, dinner, and conference facilities”
Review of Middlebury Inn

Middlebury Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Middlebury
GreenLeadersBronze level
Estes Park, Colorado
“Very nice room, dinner, and conference facilities”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed one night at the Middlebury Inn for a conference and wish I could have stayed longer. At check-in I was greeted by a very friendly young woman who then took me for my first ride in an Otis Elevator. Definitely an experience! She also helped me with my bags and I really appreciated that. Gloria in the dining room went out of her way to provide me with a late dinner of perfectly prepared duck and asparagus.

My room was an older room (obviously!!) with all the little quirks that come along with that. But it could not have been cleaner or more comfortable.

The conference facilities - - a meeting room and the library - - were both well furnished and comfortable. This was a 90+ degree day and I must say, the air conditioning was working very well.

I have added the Middlebury Inn to my list of places to return to and enjoy in my retirement.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
We remember that 90+ degree day last month and we're also happy that you were comfortable in your meeting. There are challenges to Air Conditioning a building that was never intended to be air conditioned 186 years ago, but we think we have all of the comforts in our Banquet and Meeting facilities that our more modern (but less historic) competitors do. Thank you for your nice comments and by all means come back for a return visit on your own.

Geoff Conrad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
boston
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We love to spend occasional weekends visiting places new to us. Our goals are simple.. A quaint, clean place to stay within walking distance of shops, restaurants and great scenery. The Middlebury inn offered all of that and the staff couldn't be nicer. The beautiful college is just a mile away and the green mountains offer trails for every skill level. We will return...

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm pleased that we were just what you needed for your fall getaway. Many guests are surprised by how close the Middlebury Is to the spectacular Green Mountains and all that there is to do. Also, another hidden gem is the TAM Trail for 'Trail Around Middlebury', a 12+ mile loop through the neighboring fields and forest. Thanks for choosing the Middlebury Inn.

Ithaca, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've been comming here for almost 30 years... I love the rooms, breakfast downstairs and a walk around Middlebury. Nothing fancy, Nothing outstanding other than being in an oldtime Vermont Inn thats been around for a long time.. For me it is always a pleasure; especially in the dead of winter when its 10 below zero outside...

Room Tip: Any room that you get!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael C
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Speaking of 10 below, we just inspected our big, old Steam Boilers and they're once again ready for the cold weather, but hopefully it's a few weeks away. In the meantime, it's a perfect time of year to enjoy the slightly cooler weather and still be able to sit on our veranda for dinner or enjoy a leisurely stroll around the wonderful town of Middlebury, just outside our front door. I thank you for being a loyal customer all these years and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Rhode Island
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We arrived at the inn about 5:00 pm August 12th 2013 without a reservation. I explained to the desk clerk that this was our first driving trip since my stroke and that I was still having balance and walking issues. And that I would appreciate any consideration they might be able to provide us. The clerk told me she would take care of us, that we would have a wonderful room for the second night of our stay but as they were pretty much sold out on for this our first night we would be sleeping in the "last room" available. As she explained it the room was on the 2nd and a half floor. Getting to our room went as follows; up one floor via elevator then a march to the other end of the building on nearly level flooring, then up and down an interesting ramp, ending in a "half flight" of stairs. The room was odd, it appeared to be one and a half rooms combined for some reason. The proportions everywhere in the suite seemed to be off. Sitting on the couch we noticed that he wall border at the ceiling must have changed about four inches from one side of the room to the other. I know houses settle, but that was remarkable. Now, because I still suffer from vertigo the extreme lack of anything straight or plumb in the room required that I hold my wife's shoulder in order to move within the room. Now for night two, in order to get our seconds night room we were told we'd need to check out and recheck in. We packed up, made our way to the desk and after eating the worst breakfast of our ten day trip, $10 in advance the night before, were given the key to our new room. This room was on the second floor and also at the end of a long hall, a bit of a tough walk for me. This "better rooms" only advantage was that it had a view of part of the town square. This room, although better in the plumb and square department was much smaller than our first night's room, I was told at check in that it would be better, with two bathrooms. Although I was told it was a wonderful suite it had no sitting room and was definitely smaller than our first nights room. Just after walking into the room my wife remarked to me that they must be having a great laugh at us at the front desk if they thought we really believed this was a step up from our other room. We decided to continue on with our day, depositing our bags in the room, having a wonderful day touring surrounding Middlebury. We returned to the room and prepared for bed. The bathroom fan sounded like a 747 preparing to take off, but if you did not use the fan the bathroom was oppressively hot, you either baked or got the noise. The real laughable part started in the middle of the night when we both awoke to the smell of sewerage in our room. It was obvious upon walking into the bathroom that the smell originated from there but we could find no place it seemed to be originating from. We closed the bathroom door and returned to bed, but a few minutes later started the "747" up because the smell was still intense and we were afraid methane gas might cause an explosion if the odor was allowed to gather in the bathroom. The Middlebury the last place we stayed, of four, on a 10 day unplanned trip through Massachusetts, New York, and Vermont. We made no advance overnight reservations and were blown away with the wonderful condition of the inn's and hotels we stayed at. Two examples being the Clarkson Hotel and 1896 Inn. The Middlebury Inn was a total disappointment and what I consider a rip-off at $400 for two night stay. We've paid much more for accommodations but never gotten stuck like this. I seriously suggest sleeping in your car before spending a night at the Middlebury.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Peteri11
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
I'm certainly dismayed that your last minute stay with us was so disappointing. You did arrive on a busy night and it was unfortunate that the only rooms available were in the oldest part of the Main Inn. However, your small suite is one of our most requested and to be honest I never noticed the slight slope of the floor (or that the wallpaper border was out of plumb). I will agree that we could have done a better job of locating you in a more convenient room the second day, although again, it is one of our more popular rooms. The sewer smell is a mystery and we haven't been able to recreate it, although because of your helpful comments, we have taken some measures to correct some old plumbing oddities that may have contributed. All in all, I can understand your disappointment and I wish I had had the opportunity when you were here to make amends. Thank you for taking the time to send in your review.

Lake Placid, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2013

A wonderful Inn!!! My husband and I went--very quaint. We stayed in a deluxe room. They offer tea time 2-5p.m. with all the fixings.

The Inn has been offering Afternoon Tea for longer than anyone remembers and some of us get a little jaded about what a nice feature it is, especially during these cool fall afternoons. It is the little things that make a hotel stay special and we know that our Afternoon Tea is one of them. That and our caring and capable staff. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon.

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Middlebury Inn is a wonderful place to stay. I stayed there while visiting my mother last week and had a great corner room with a very comfortable bed and cozy bathroom. The staff there is always very friendly and accommodative. Got a ride in their 1926 Otis Elevator - apparently one of Otis' first elevators ever in the northeast! Loved my stay there. Wish it were longer!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We all love to show off our 80 some year old Otis Elevator - it's not only fun to ride in, but fun to operate and I and my staff love the fact that it's a feature that makes us just a little different from our corporate hotel neighbor up the street. And that's what keeps our customers returning; the little quirks and niceties that you look for in an historic Vermont Inn. Thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed at the inn the first week of August. Upon arrival we were greeted nicely and allowed to check in early....always a plus. Old and nostalgic....quite a find. I was pleasently suprised at how clean the inn was....kudo's to the staff. My only misgiving was the exhaust fan in our bathroom...turned it on and it sounded as if there was a motocross race in the ceiling....ha ha. I would stay here anytime we visit Middlebury and my wife enjoyed the afternoon tea each day. Thanks to the staff at the inn for making us feel at home.P.S. The cheff at Morgans Tavern makes an awesome Shrimp and Grits....in Vermont???

Room Tip: Ask for the historic inn for your lodging.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Our Chef came to us from a sister property in South Carolina, so he knows his Shrimp and Grits and our patrons in Morgan's Tavern are often pleasantly surprised, just as you were. I appreciate the 'Kudos' for him as well as our staff. They all work incredibly hard to make everything perfect and it's nice to know their efforts are noticed.

Geoff Conrad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlebury
Courtyard Middlebury
#3 of 3 in Middlebury
Basin Harbor
Basin Harbor
#1 of 1 in Vergennes

Been to Middlebury Inn? Share your experiences!