“Charming historic inn”

Middlebury Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Middlebury
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a great place to stay when looking at Middlebury College or just on a visit to Vermont. I was thrilled to come back here, especially with a groupon. The inn upgraded our room; the bathroom was huge! The innkeeper could not have been more helpful ehen I realized I had forgotten to print the groupon. We were so tired when we arrived after leaving Boston mid-afternoon, so we had dinner in the inn. It was delicious! We devoured the baked brie and enjoyed our entrees, mushroom raviolis and salmon. Cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

What nice comments! This was our first endeavor with Groupon and we're happy you took advantage of it - they have some great deals, you just need to be patient and observant. I'm sure we'll do another. As for the dining comments, I should point out for those reading this, that we also have Trip Advisor Morgan's Tavern site where you can see reviews just on the restaurant.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Inn is right at the park in town, and about 10 mins walk from the Middlebury campus. It looks charming from the outside, and there is a lot of history built into it. We had two rooms in the main building that had sitting areas. The rooms have only steam heat (no control that I saw), and there is a window heat pump that its very noisy, but does supply additional heat. New mattresses are required. The furniture seemed collected from various tag sales. This could be a really great hotel with some ernest updating. I know it would be expensive, and it is on the national register, but it would be worth it. Breakfast was included in the room rate we had, and it was good. Ate in the tavern the first morning (due to function in the main DR), but they were installing a new bar sink at the same time a few feet from us. The Main DR is much more pleasant. The staff was pleasant and efficient.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for some helpful comments. I apologize for the plumbing work during breakfast - we could have communicated better with our contractor or vice versa. As for the tag sale furniture, part of this is a concerted effort to keep some historical conssistancy to the room decor. The Inn has been in a variety of hands over the last 100 or so years and each has made their imprint on the guestroom decor. And yes you're correct that changing that pattern would be expensive although the current owners have spent quite a bit in the seven years they have owned it. But thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here overnight while my daughter visited Middlebury College. It's a nice old hotel. Our room was small but comfortable with a large tiled bathroom. On the minus side, it was a cold, cold day and there wasn't heat in the bathroom unless we left the door open.

I liked the lobby a lot. We had a good, but not spectacular dinner in the restaurant. We'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the annex (we did not), but it not part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bigmamu
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

We've had some cold, cold days this winter and it sounds like your ceiling Heat lamp wasn't working, and for this I apologise. If your daughter decides to come to Middlebury College, you'll have plenty of opportunities to stay during warmer times and I hope you'll give us another chance.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Arrived on Saturday night Feb 16 and after checking in we decided to eat at the restaurant within the Inn. My wife and I both ordered a Scallop Fettuccine dish. When the food was served it was in a bowl with about an inch of broth. Not at all what the menu descried. When we searched for the fettuccine the closest we came were a couple green globs of pasta mush. No discernible noodles. The scallop were done nicely but the rest of the bowl (on a dish that should have been plated) was a mess. Also, I ordered the Onion soup as an appetizer which when arrived had lots of raw onion in it (shouldn't they be caramelized or at least cooked soft?), with a tasteless broth to go with. Upon noting this to the wait staff (they were always pleasant) we were offered a free desert but we weren't feeling up to it after our dinner experience. We were charged full price for the dinner with the tip that came to about $170. The following couple nights we were in Middlebury the Inn restaurant was quiet but the other places in town were very busy. We didn't mind waiting a 1/2 hour at the other places we went, the food was great. Supposedly the Scallop dish is off the menu but if you see it I would avoid it. By the way, I am in my 50's and this is the first trip advisor I have ever written - I don't want others to experience the food that we did. They need a new head chef, it was definitely Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare material. Sorry for the bad review to the Middlebury Inn, but they should have had least comped the main course, we couldn't eat it!

The Inn itself was OK for staying at. We were in the annex so can't comment too much on the charm of the main house.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Ken W

Any restauranteur will say that they want to hear the good and the bad. And any will also tell you that there are many good days, but also a few bad. In this case, we put an item on our menu that shouldn't have been there. Our chef's struggled with the execution and you're correct, we removed it following your bad experience. I hope you and others won't judge us on this one blooper. Our regular patrons love our food! Thanks for making us aware of your experience and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Quaint Vermont inn, but unfortunately, with steam heat and perhaps old plumbing, the many different noises we heard in our room during the night prevented us from having a decent night's sleep. So sad because it appears to be the quintessential Vermont inn.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

I'm sorry your stay with us was marred by a sleepless night. We are the quintessential Vermont Inn, but sometimes that means some creaks and groans go along with the experience. As I recall, this was a cold period and our bollers were working overtime. I hope you will return in the warmer months and enjoy the quiet.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had gone to the inn due to a sniqueaway I bought for my husband and I to get away. Nice old building, kept up well. Clean bathroom with oversized tub and nice front desk people. Breakfast was good.

Sniqueaway is supposed to be a bargain but I feel we paid what was average price for the inn. If it is actually more expensive then I would deem it a bit high priced.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dbbohner

Thanks for your nice comments. This was our first Snique-away promotion and as I recall was at least 25% below our normal rates. Maybe because this was our low season, the discount didn't seem as worthwhile. I'm sure we'll run another SniqueAway promo so keep looking - we'll try to make it more worth your while.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I expected the Inn to be historic, however history and dilapidation are not the same thing. I was required to book a two night stay because of a function at the college, yet the hotel was not close to full capacity. The two night stay cost about $500. It was probably worth about 80 per night for the quality of the room. I was on the third floor. The room had two beds which were fine. The problem is the bathroom. It had a very very old wood floor. This was simply disgusting especially around the toilet. I can only imagine what evil was lying in the wide cracks between the planks. The other problem was the tub was an old fashioned claw foot tub. The curtain for the shower would billow around you as you shower, constantly touching your body. Rather disgusting. There was peeling paint and other signs of poor maintenance. The breakfast which was about $10 was adequate, but nothing special. Internet was free. On a very positive note, the cookies and tea in the afternoon were quite good, as was the free coffee in the am. They also allow you free access to a gym about 2 miles from the hotel, which was very nice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jon T
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Yes, we still have two rooms with the original oak floors in the bathroom and your observations will likely prompt us to schedule this overdue makeover. I should point out that these are fairly narrow rooms that won't accomodate a standard size tub, consequently the original claw foot tubs have been left in place. Some find them historically interesting, but you're correct that the shower curtain solution for this type of tub is not ideal. I do appreciate your other positive comments but alas, I must correct your statement that we weren't full that weekend. It was Middlebury College February Graduation and there wasn't a room to be had in the area.

Geoff Conrad

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlebury
1 mi away
#1 of 11 in Middlebury
Greystone Motel
Greystone Motel
#3 of 3 in Middlebury

Been to Middlebury Inn? Share your experiences!