“Nice but a bit Spendy for what you get”
Review of Middlebury Inn

Middlebury Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Middlebury
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Nice old building, but a bit pricey for what you get...

The bathroom was a combination early 1900's & Home Depot's bargain bin - same with the mini bar setup. Restaurant was good, and all the staff were great, but the owners have not put the investment into the building that they should, to bring it up to the class they promote it as. (It is nothing like their photos on their web pages!).

It's close to the school & the staff was nice.... but pricey for such a run down place.

Room Tip: Take a Room with a View.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

I wish we had spoken when you were here so I could have seen which room you were so disappointed with. Of course with any 185 year old Inn, not all rooms are created equal, but I should say that our owners have invested a great deal of money into bringing the Inn back to it's glorious past. I'm very sorry you were unhappy with your stay and again I wish I had the opportunity to rectify the situation.

There are newer reviews for Middlebury Inn

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed 2 nights with friends. The Inn was lovely and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Our room was very large and comfortable. Our room was on the 2nd floor and in order to take the elevator a hotel staff member had to operate it for us. We were very comfortable sitting in the Inn and chatting while afternoon tea was delightful. The location could not have been better. Can't wait for our return.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building and facing the town is very nice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your very nice comments. You tapped into most of the reasons our guests love it here including our 100 year old Otis elevator. I wiil confess that my staff prefer that I don't run the elevator and it appears that you weren't terrified so I'll assume I wasn't your operator. Thanks again and we hope to see you again someday.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Middlebury Inn on the night of Thursday, October 4, 2012. As far as the Inn itself goes, we had no major problem with our room. It was clean, and everything worked. The internet was rather slow, but this is not the kind of place that caters to business travelers, so it wasn’t a big deal to us.

Nevertheless, my wife and I have a serious problem with the Inn and its policies that we want to share with readers here. We paid for our one night stay in full and in advance. The initial reservation and $50 deposit was made on August, 11 2012, and payment in full was completed on September 20, 2012. Therefore, the Inn received a total of $186 for one night’s stay 2 weeks before we had even arrived in Middlebury.

The Inn however, without informing us at check in, proceeded to place a hold of an additional $186.00 from our bank account. We were told that a small amount would be taken as a deposit but were not informed as to the amount by the individual who checked us in. We certainly were not informed that an additional $186 would be taken. Nor was this critical information contained in any of the fine print we received from the hotel prior to our arrival.

I learned of this issue just prior to check out the next morning and was informed by a person who I think was the manager that our $186 would be returned promptly. She even handed me a receipt showing that the charge had been reversed. However, the money was not returned to our bank account until Wednesday, October 10, almost one full week later, and one day before our long planned vacation was scheduled to end. The Middlebury Inn’s deceptive policy therefore effectively, and without cause, deprived us of a significant portion of our spending money for the remainder of our vacation.

I see that the Inn often responds to comments it receives on Trip Advisor. Therefore, I want to anticipate and respond to what I think will be their reaction to this review.

1. “This is your bank’s fault not ours.” No. NO. Two nights prior to our stay in Middlebury we stayed in another hotel that cost more than the Middlebury Inn. That hotel was much more straightforward was and VERY CLEARLY informed us that they were only taking a deposit of $50. (I also note that that $50 was returned within 48 hours.) The problem here is not our bank but that the Inn did not meaningfully inform us what they were doing. If they had told us “we need a full one night’s deposit in addition to the full night you already paid for,” I could have gone to an ATM and gotten cash to cover the deposit. That way the money would have been returned to us immediately upon check out. But since the Inn never informed us, we had no chance to work out an alternate arrangement.

2. “It’s our policy, one that we have a right to establish.” Fine, but the Inn needs to be much more straight forward in explaining this to its customers. Don’t just say it after the fact or bury in fine print that nobody reads. (Although let me reiterate that I actually did read the fine print and didn’t see anything about this policy.)

I don’t know when or if my wife and I will be in the Middlebury area again, but if we are, I doubt we will stay at the Middlebury Inn again. I have never experienced anything like this at ANY hotel either domestically or internationally, and my wife and I have travelled a lot over the past few years.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JAldrichMaryland

I accept full responsibility for this unfortunate occurance. This was an oversight by the front desk employee at check in who didn't verify that you had paid in full prior to arriving at our Inn. She pre-authorized the full amount on your debit card when she should have only held $50, as is our policy. Because you checked out on a Friday, the error was compounded by the weekend so that your authorization was not releaased by your bank until 5 days later. I fully appreciate that this contributed to a cash shortage on your vacation and am profoundly apologetic.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We booked months in advance for fall foliage season, choosing Middlebury Inn for a number of reasons, including it’s location and that the room was accessible (no stairs).

We often stay at National Registry properties, appreciating their interest and charm. On a positive note, the lobby and common areas are very pleasant and for the most part the staff were very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately our room in the ‘annex’ was not pleasant. It had less charm and character than a budget chain motel. The room was a dark, shabby box, and was not very clean. We were so unhappy that after the first night we asked if there were any other rooms available. Of course, there were not -- we were stuck for the next 3 nights. We were disappointed that the front desk associate didn’t even ask why we were not satisfied. Our theory is that she knows the room is not nice, and that this is not the first time she’s had an unhappy guest. We stayed for four nights because we did not have any other options (fall foliage season in Vermont) and were sad because we had this bad experience on a vacation that we had been planning for months.

When we checked out, we got the obligatory ‘how was everything’? question, to which we replied once again that we were not happy with our room. The desk clerk (the same person to whom we had complained 3 days before) seemed surprised and asked us if we’d like to write down our reasons for not being satisfied with our room. No thanks. We will not return, and have already found a much better alternative for our next trip to Middlebury.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the annex.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Foodie12348
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

I'm obviously disappointed that your stay was unsatisfactory. We know that our guests plan and save to visit New England during our spectacular foliage. It seems that we dropped the ball when it came to responding to your comments and needs although with your request for a ground floor room there were few options other than the Annex rooms. Most of our rooms are accessible without stairs, using our elevator, but only the Annex rooms are ground level, as you had requested. I'm sorry that your expectations were not met and we will certainly learn something from your comments.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is a great old inn that's been kept up well. It's a beautiful place and conveniently located - you can walk downtown in a matter of minutes. The decor and historic photos are fun and interesting.

Room Tip: We actually stayed in the newer annex, and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2012

In need of some "down-time" my husband booked a 2 night "Special" at the Middlebury Inn in Vermont. We could not believe how totally relaxed we were after our stay, even without going to the Spa, which is located in the Hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed the really pleasant staff, they treated us royally, and any extra thing that we asked for,( Like some hot water, very late in the evening ) was provided in a carafe, with a warm smile. We stayed in Porter Manor, in a room with 12 foot ceilings, a four poster bed and lovely old furnishings, it was like a setting for "Gone with the Wind" While we found the restaurant menu rather limited, the food was excellent, the Maple Creme Brulee was the best I ever tasted. We will happily go back Nanook 9

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I arrived in the early hours of the morning having flown in from London. I was about to embark on a 7 week language course at Middlebury College. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and saw how tired and jet lagged I was. A complimentary bottle of root beer and some bottled water were provided "on the house". The room was lovely and comfortable and I slept so well in a very comfortable bed. The breakfast was delicious and the buffet style meant you could eat as much as you wanted, the coffee kept on coming. Middlebury Inn - thank you :)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Your welcome! I'm very pleased that you were made to feel welcome after a long trip. It's something that's very easy to do but must come from the heart, and as I've said before, made even more easy by the wonderful people that visit us and this beautiful part of Vermont. I hope you had a rewarding experience at Breadloaf - the cream of the crop in language programs. Thank you for staying with us and for being a Root Beer lover like myself.

Geoff Conrad

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlebury
Courtyard Middlebury
#3 of 3 in Middlebury
Basin Harbor
Basin Harbor
#1 of 1 in Vergennes

Been to Middlebury Inn? Share your experiences!