“This place is very special. You must see.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Danforth Pewter

Danforth Pewter
Ranked #1 of 7 Shopping in Middlebury
Burlington, Vermont
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“This place is very special. You must see.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

My husband and I passed thru Middlebury today. In addition to their main store where they make the products, Danforth opened a space in the center of town (very easy to find : ) near other small shops. The woman in the store was incredibly helpful and authentically very enthusiastic to share the history of the business. I feel this business is quintessentially Vermont. Their products are top notch, of beautiful quality and workmanship. It is a small business of less than 50 people who are committed to their work and community. It shows. They have products with price points from a couple dollars to some very beautiful high end pieces. Even the more expensive ones are well within a fair price and not like a piece of art that the average person can't afford.
I strongly disagree with the person "givemeabrake" that said almost nothing under $50. That is totally untrue. The store is filled with many, many, many items for less than $20.00... from jewelry to Christmas ornaments, to buttons, to spoons, hair barrettes, key chains. There are too many to name.
As a Vermonter, I am very proud to have Danforth selling such beautiful products in a number of locations in our state and at prices so many can afford.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank happyinvt

Fairborn, Ohio
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Interesting Shop; Beautiful Products”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is a hard place to find even with a GPS. The workshop shuts down at 4 but there is a video that shows the entire production process. Many beautiful items but definitely high end prices. Be sure to check out the charms and tree ornaments. The clerk was very helpful even though we were pushing the closing time.

Visited August 2013
Richmond, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Picture frame”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were looking for a specific color and size of frame and we finally found it at the main store! The people were very nice! One of the ladies gave us a quick tour of how the frames are made!

Visited August 2013
montreal
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A very nice store in Middlebury, Vermont”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Danforth Pewterers makes tasteful objects in pewter and their store in Middlebury deserves a visit. It is done in excellent taste with a few hand-made objects from Vermont to complement (ex: a book called Good Night Vermont for children). It is an expensive store, with almost nothing under $50. Visitors can watch the objects being made through a glass window. They have an excellent choice of gifts for babies (spoons, bowls, cups, all in pewter, very well wrapped.)

They also have a nice catalogue and ship everywhere.

They are a little hard to find but you can ask for a map of this pretty small town at any store.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank givemeabrake
Orlando, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“An incredible selection of fine, American-made art, jewelry and household pieces”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Okay, I'm going to gush a bit, so forgive me: we loved this place!

This is a small manufacturer of hand-made pewter items, still in the hands of the husband and wife owners. They design most items themselves, and the end products are delightful! The work is all done on-site, and the large windows in the showroom give you a peek into an average workday making pewter objects. If that isn't enough, the very helpful staff in the retail store will happily show you a video which describes what is being done, and how everything is formed. Fascinating!

I'd looked them up online, and seen several items I thought we would need to buy at their store, but grossly underestimated what I would find when we got here. Necklaces, earrings, Christmas ornaments, key rings, letter openers, bookmarks, candle holders, cake servers, oil lamps, pins... We bought early Xmas gifts, thank-you gifts for friends, wedding presents, birthday gifts, and a couple (!) of items just for us, too.

The very friendly women in the store clearly wanted us to move to Vermont after all of this... They also suggested I ship the items rather than shlepping them all home, and cleverly held that box an extra day, in case we came back to pick up something else (we did.) I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival - I can't wait for the fern necklace to remind me of all of our hikes in the lush Vermont mountains.

This was the high point of our visit to Middlebury by far, and I'm thrilled to have found so many excellent, beautiful, hand-made and made-in-America items. This should definitely be on your list if you visit the area!

Visited July 2011