“A very nice store in Middlebury, Vermont”
Review of Danforth Pewter

Danforth Pewter
Ranked #1 of 9 Shopping in Middlebury
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit our workshop to learn more about how we work metal by hand. Watch us handspin a pewter old lamp or cast pewter ornaments.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Danforth Pewterers makes tasteful objects in pewter and their store in Middlebury deserves a visit. It is done in excellent taste with a few hand-made objects from Vermont to complement (ex: a book called Good Night Vermont for children). It is an expensive store, with almost nothing under $50. Visitors can watch the objects being made through a glass window. They have an excellent choice of gifts for babies (spoons, bowls, cups, all in pewter, very well wrapped.)

They also have a nice catalogue and ship everywhere.

They are a little hard to find but you can ask for a map of this pretty small town at any store.

1  Thank givemeabrake
There are newer reviews for Danforth Pewter

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Okay, I'm going to gush a bit, so forgive me: we loved this place!

This is a small manufacturer of hand-made pewter items, still in the hands of the husband and wife owners. They design most items themselves, and the end products are delightful! The work is all done on-site, and the large windows in the showroom give you a peek into an average workday making pewter objects. If that isn't enough, the very helpful staff in the retail store will happily show you a video which describes what is being done, and how everything is formed. Fascinating!

I'd looked them up online, and seen several items I thought we would need to buy at their store, but grossly underestimated what I would find when we got here. Necklaces, earrings, Christmas ornaments, key rings, letter openers, bookmarks, candle holders, cake servers, oil lamps, pins... We bought early Xmas gifts, thank-you gifts for friends, wedding presents, birthday gifts, and a couple (!) of items just for us, too.

The very friendly women in the store clearly wanted us to move to Vermont after all of this... They also suggested I ship the items rather than shlepping them all home, and cleverly held that box an extra day, in case we came back to pick up something else (we did.) I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival - I can't wait for the fern necklace to remind me of all of our hikes in the lush Vermont mountains.

This was the high point of our visit to Middlebury by far, and I'm thrilled to have found so many excellent, beautiful, hand-made and made-in-America items. This should definitely be on your list if you visit the area!

5  Thank derring_do
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Danforth Pewter is a favorite stop when I visit Middlebury. The staff is incredibly friendly and the shop is set up in a manner where you can see the artisans at work. In previous visits, the staff has shown a video of the history of pewtersmithing.

Since this is a store as well as a workshop, it is worth mentioning that the merchandise is of excellent quality and variety (I get compliments every time I wear the jewelry/use the other merchandise). Everything is attractively arranged with new and seasonal items available each time I've been there.

I will be visiting Middlebury again this month and look forward to stopping in to see what's new. :)

3  Thank MommaStork