We were in Killington for my 50 b-day/ ski trip/ New Year celebration. Our experience at the Red Clover was SOOOOO Bad that I do not wish this upon anyone else!!!
The Inn itself lacks charms/ character, void of all authenticity of its 1840 period architecture. It is construction remuddling, nothing but a few "boxes" in various sizes married together like a renovation that had gone bad. The main dining has no ambience. Our table was in the middle of the room and we felt like we were center stage because the rest of the tables were spaced too far apart and too few of them- nothing cozy about that space at all. There was no wide plank wood flooring that one would normally expect in a old country inn, instead, they have the econo narrow oak strip flooring, cheap beaded board wainscott installed, complemented by the cheesy gas insert fire place, that goes on and off due to the thermostat setting.
The dinner was the worst culinary experience ever. It was a 3 course pre-fixe dinner for $85.00 per person. We were a party of four and they charged us 20% gratuity- totally uncalled for! They certainly did not wait on us hand and foot; their service was the bare bone minimum one would expect within the industry.
For the first course we all had French onion soup. Their version of the French onion was nothing like norm, there wasn't any gruyere nicely melted and draped over the bowl. It was served in an oversized like ramekin, and was only half filled- worried about running out of food?? It tasted like salty bouillon with rosemary, with hardly any onions in it or cheese.
For second course they served their version of the cassoulet with lobster. Nothing of substance or hearty like what one would expect from the real caasoulet- only a few chunks of lobster and the rest were white beans.
Main course, my husband and one son had the beef Wellington- what a joke- if they were on the show "Chopped" they would have been chopped. It was for New Year's Eve, you would think they would put extra effort to make it special. The plating was bad-the beef Wellington sat on a pile of mashed potato with literally ONE broccoli floret on the side. How about fingerling potatoes and a few spears of asparagus or haricot vert instead??
As for dessert, it was either 3 single bite sized very dry cupcakes or bread pudding. How about trying to indulge us a little with something like flourless choc tort, or creme brulee, or flambé of some sort?? Mind you, coffee or tea was not even included, for $85.00.
In our almost close to 25 years of marriage this was the very first New Year's eve that we didn't even open a bottle of champagne afterwards because of this horrendously bad experience at this Inn. The meals was almost $500- money was not the issue, it was the fact that it tasted so bad and they have the balls to charge that price! Even The Garlic down the road has a much better over all experience to offer...nice bar to hangout and certainly a much cozier dining room to dine in, something that the Red Clove can learn from!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Red Clover Inn and Restaurant is truly a one-of-a-kind experience where the Tyler Family strives to make our guests feel like personal house guests on a memorable Vermont country holiday. A haven for foodies, sports' enthusiasts, and romantics alike, the Inn and Restaurant are acclaimed for local food with European flair; stylish, comfortable lodging; fireside apres-ski and an award winning wine cellar. With mountain views on all sides and tucked off the main beat on its own private road, you'd never guess the Red Clover Inn and Restaurant is right at the cross-roads of Central Vermont within minutes of Killington and Pico's best skiing, biking and hiking. Whether you come for a brief getaway or an extended vacation, a Vermont wedding or an intimate elopement, you'll find the Red Clover Inn as special in its own way as its "big sister" property, the Tyler Place Family Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Expedia so you can book your Red Clover Inn & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Red Clover Inn And Restaurant
- Red Clover Inn & Restaurant Hotel Mendon
- Red Clover Inn & Restaurant Vermont/Mendon