“Worst culinary experience ever= rip off”

Red Clover Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Mendon B&B and Inns
Millbrook, New York
“Worst culinary experience ever= rip off”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We were in Killington for my 50 b-day/ ski trip/ New Year celebration. Our experience at the Red Clover was SOOOOO Bad that I do not wish this upon anyone else!!!

The Inn itself lacks charms/ character, void of all authenticity of its 1840 period architecture. It is construction remuddling, nothing but a few "boxes" in various sizes married together like a renovation that had gone bad. The main dining has no ambience. Our table was in the middle of the room and we felt like we were center stage because the rest of the tables were spaced too far apart and too few of them- nothing cozy about that space at all. There was no wide plank wood flooring that one would normally expect in a old country inn, instead, they have the econo narrow oak strip flooring, cheap beaded board wainscott installed, complemented by the cheesy gas insert fire place, that goes on and off due to the thermostat setting.

The dinner was the worst culinary experience ever. It was a 3 course pre-fixe dinner for $85.00 per person. We were a party of four and they charged us 20% gratuity- totally uncalled for! They certainly did not wait on us hand and foot; their service was the bare bone minimum one would expect within the industry.

For the first course we all had French onion soup. Their version of the French onion was nothing like norm, there wasn't any gruyere nicely melted and draped over the bowl. It was served in an oversized like ramekin, and was only half filled- worried about running out of food?? It tasted like salty bouillon with rosemary, with hardly any onions in it or cheese.

For second course they served their version of the cassoulet with lobster. Nothing of substance or hearty like what one would expect from the real caasoulet- only a few chunks of lobster and the rest were white beans.

Main course, my husband and one son had the beef Wellington- what a joke- if they were on the show "Chopped" they would have been chopped. It was for New Year's Eve, you would think they would put extra effort to make it special. The plating was bad-the beef Wellington sat on a pile of mashed potato with literally ONE broccoli floret on the side. How about fingerling potatoes and a few spears of asparagus or haricot vert instead??

As for dessert, it was either 3 single bite sized very dry cupcakes or bread pudding. How about trying to indulge us a little with something like flourless choc tort, or creme brulee, or flambé of some sort?? Mind you, coffee or tea was not even included, for $85.00.

In our almost close to 25 years of marriage this was the very first New Year's eve that we didn't even open a bottle of champagne afterwards because of this horrendously bad experience at this Inn. The meals was almost $500- money was not the issue, it was the fact that it tasted so bad and they have the balls to charge that price! Even The Garlic down the road has a much better over all experience to offer...nice bar to hangout and certainly a much cozier dining room to dine in, something that the Red Clove can learn from!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Alex S
TheRedCloverInn, Innkeeper at Red Clover Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
We sincerely regret your 4-course New Year's Eve dinner at the Red Clover Inn was unsatisfactory. We only wish you had informed your server or one of our innkeepers of your displeasure and we would have gone out of our way to improve upon the situation. We invite you to visit us again soon in the hopes of offering you and your family a more exceptional experience at the Red Clover Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I celebrated my b-day weekend here and it was simply amazing! Great atmosphere, clean and huge room and the nicest service ever!!! The food is to kill for and Thomas is the nicest server ever!!! We will be back for another b-day, snowboarding or maybe even hiking trip! 5 stars guys! We are sooo happy that we found our new favorite get away destination from busy Manhattan!

• Stayed January 2014
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Inn was wonderful. We had a great time and so close to the Ski mountain's. Food at restaurant was excellent... Great for couple get aways. The perfect inn for any getaway. The breakfast was to die for and was quick if you were on the go in the morning. Great place

Room Tip: Rooms are just as described when booking. Was very nice and cosy
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boater2013
Bothell, Washington
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Our visit to Red Clover Inn was amazing.Innkeepers Annie and Caitlin were warm and welcoming and made us feel like family. Breakfasts were delicious. Dinner was incredible. Colin Arthur is the most talented chef I know. The qual salad, mussels, halibut with gnocchi and hanger steak with mushrooms were exceptional. The creme brulee is the best by far we have ever tasted. I can't remember the last time, if ever, I swooned over everything I put in my mouth. Thomas, our server at dinner, was knowledgeable and friendly. I tend to order like Meg Ryan did in "When Harry Met Sally" and he took it all in stride. This is one of the few restaurants I would say is worth the destination. In addition, the Inn is charming and our room was very comfortable and cheery.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front of the inn are most cheerful.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Elma, New York
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I wanted to get away for a few days, to heal a broken heart and connect with my inner being. The Red Clover Inn and the Killington area are just what the doctor ordered. I was there during "off: season... Nov 3-6 but the weather was beautiful. Cool but sunny- perfect for being outdoors. The breakfasts were hearty, unique, and served with smiles and good conversation. I was especially fond of the Maple Yogurt, fruit and locally made granola! YUM!!! I also enjoyed a dinner at the inn and chose the "chefs tasting" with wine pairing. This was a wonderful flight that consisted of a duck confit, scallop ad shrimp w/ Andouille sausage and for dessert... truffles. The wine was wonderful and I ended the night with a glass of port in the "lounge" area. My room- The Lydia- was clean and comfy, and I enjoyed the IPOD docking station so I could listen to music to dance like no one was watching, or listen to my spa station while reading in bed. the Lydia room is located in the Carriage house and I appreciated the Privacy! I fully enjoyed the hot tub every night... and especially after my 4 hour hike up to Pico Peak! I am definitely planning on returning to the Inn... hopefully when there is snow..... And I have someone special to share it with!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Yonkers
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Very excited for my stay up there this weekend. Does anyone know of anything happening that is fun/cool in the neighborhood? I will give a better review after my stay, but just was curious as to any local attractions in the area for us to check out. Thanks!
Noelle

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had dinner recently at this well appointed inn. They had a well balanced menu with entrees from 25 to 33 dollars. They had an extensive wine list that they were knowledgeable about and steered me to an excellent Syrah. For apps we had the mussels (large mussels with a flavorful broth), quail with great grilled squash on a bed of greens, and a hearty bowl of French onion soup -- all flavorful, fresh ingredients, and good sized. For mains we had the steak frites which was very tender, Portuguese steak with the sauce spicy but we were warned beforehand, and a perfectly prepared rack of lamb. Lots of interesting dessert options and we had some tasty chocolate truffles. Overall an excellent meal, good service and dishes executed perfectly.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
TheRedCloverInn, Innkeeper at Red Clover Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
We appreciate your wonderful review! Our head server, Thomas pays great attention to our wine cellar. He is frequently meeting with our wine reps to update and expand our extensive wine list. Chef Colin takes pride in his menu and recognizes that every great dish has to start with great ingredients. Colin has connections with a few independent purveyors who bring the freshest and highest quality produce to choose from. Thank you for taking the time to share your dining experience at the Red Clover Inn! We look forward to your return visit. Best wishes, Charlotte
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendon
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
#2 of 3 in Mendon
Killington Mountain Lodge
Killington Mountain Lodge
#3 of 13 in Killington

Been to Red Clover Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!