“Drive on by this one”

Ranked #2 of 3 Mendon B&B and Inns
Northampton Mass.
“Drive on by this one”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

First of all I don't know who the owners are because they were invisible. I did meet the phone at the front counter. Hopefully the sidewalk around the pool area, which is all lifted up and treacherous to walk on,will be fixed before someone gets seriously hurt. You may end up going swimming when you don't want to. The furniture in the room,that we shared with a mouse, is in need of repairs. (broken bureau legs,etc.). Also the moldy shower liner was pretty disgusting too. You'd better go out for breakfast and then come back to eat there FULL breakfast or your going to be hungry. I guess they are used to feeding that mouse that lives in our room. That $195.00 a night room. There wont be a next time. I gave this place 1 star because my wife paid for it and I can't rate it any lower. BEWARE!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. A tent, your car, the nearest homeless shelter, but move on.
3 Thank backpackingfool
thevermontinn, Owner at The Vermont Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
I am so sorry to hear about your experience and I am appalled to hear about your issues. Your experience is certainly not typical. We have a new team of Innkeepers joining us in a few weeks, which we hope will help. They are so excited to service and wow our guests and you won't be able to miss them. We recently replaced all the shower curtains with new ones. We have gotten the services of an exterminator to help with any mice, which I can promise you has not been a big problem for the Inn but does occasionally happen at an 1840 farmhouse, but even one issue is one too many. We are on it and I hope that issue has been resolved since your visit. We pride ourselves on cleanliness so I am embarrassed by these issues and can guarantee we are on top of these problems. I am sorry you weren't satisfied with breakfast. This is the first complaint we've had about portion size. It is all you can eat and we welcome people to order more if they want. We appreciate the feedback so we can make sure all problems are addressed. We would like to apologize directly and we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to really impress you at our expense during a future visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed one night while on a trip further north. We were set up in a comfortable room and enjoyed a nice breakfast prepared by Tim, the innkeeper. The inn was comfortable and quiet which was to our liking, and was close to a few choices for dinner. Our 3 year old daughter had room to play and run. Before going the traditional hotel route, I would give the Vermont Inn your business.

• Stayed October 2012
thevermontinn, Owner at The Vermont Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your business and hope you will join us again!
New Jersey
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We recently stayed at the Vermont Inn for two nights. Although we had high expectations, this B&B fell short due to the lack of visibility of the innkeepers and their inability to separate the business from their family obligations (their young children).
Upon entering the B&B, we were greeted by a phone at the front desk that you must use to contact Tim, the Innkeeper. Apparently, Tim does virtually everything so he is often elsewhere. He greeted us with a newborn baby asleep in his arms (this was the norm). We never met his wife and were left to feel she was not interested or involved with the inn. There is none of the warmth and friendliness normally associated with a B&B. Our room was OK although we were not given enough towels for three ... two requests to Tim and we finally had our towels. Breakfast was average. The first night we went down to the living room area to relax and talk with other guests. We were absolutely appalled that this area was being fully occupied by a large group of moms and their babies (not paying guests). When we entered the room we were made to feel we were intruding and got a cold reception. In addition, the kids were allowed to run throughout the dining area and the kitchen screaming and playing around. We felt that it was rude to invite friends to occupy inn space that should be available to paying guests (we paid over $500 for two nights) In addition, the "game room" was in disarray and cluttered with the innkeeper's kid's toys, bikes, etc. We expected and deserved more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank NJGuy230
Please accept my sincere apology for your dissatisfaction with your stay. Our top priority at the Vermont Inn is to make guests feel comfortable, happy and well taken care of. We take pride that most guests give us top ratings for our service and I am so very very sorry that you did not have that same experience. We were all so upset to learn that you felt this way about your stay. Your experience at the Inn is not typical and we are taking additional actions to resolve the conflicts you mention (please contact me if you would like more details). I agree you deserve better and promise you that we will deliver if given a chance.
UK
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The staff are friendly and helpful. The accommodation is quite old and is in need of refurbishment and in my view is very expensive for what you get. It was good to be able to use the sauna and hot tub. The breakfast was average although the portions were generous. My suggestion is that if you want to go hiking you need to be closer to Woodstock - this Inn is about a 30 minute drive away.

1 Thank Johnny95
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you enjoyed the sauna, hot tub and breakfast portions but I wish we could have lived up to your other expectations. We purchased the Inn less than a year ago and we love the character and charm of the 1840 farmhouse and fortunately most of our guests agree. We have done many renovations and refurbishments and we continue to do more. I am sorry you didn't experience the satisfaction that we are accustomed to providing. I was surprised by your comments on our location since we received positive feedback from most hikers due to our proximity to the Appalachian trail (just minutes away), along with other great hiking spots. And we strive to provide a great value to our guests. We would love the opportunity to host you in one of our renovated rooms and I am sure we can do so at a value that you will appreciate.
Wakefield, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed two nights for our 25th anniversary and had a lovely time. The innkeeper Tim gave a great discount to start with, since there were online problems and I had to call to book in person. When we arrived, he gave a free upgrade to a bigger room with a jacuzzi (room 8). Nice! Room felt very clean; I am a clean freak and the bed felt very sanitary and the bathroom was good (teeny bit more cleaning would have been good in the shower, but as I said I am a clean freak).

The whole inn felt very cozy; nothing like a sterile hotel. More like someone's large rambling house. Tim was super friendly and attentive; made us feel welcome. He made a nice breakfast each morning (included in the fee), with offerings like omelets, eggs, oatmeal, fresh fruit. Food wasn't gourmet, but still very good. He gave us fantastic recommendations for dinner (Try Roots!), since they didn't offer dinner there (but may in future??).

Lovely area, very scenic, tons to do. We will definitely stay at the Vermont Inn again next time!

Room Tip: We peeked in a bunch of rooms and they all looked nice!!
1 Thank Sherri C
Thank you so much for your fabulous review! We strive for this level of pleasure out of every guest. We are honored to have helped you celebrate your anniversary. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness, service and comfort so we are extremely pleased to get this feedback. We hope to see you again in the future.
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 19, 2012

While we originally planned to spend 2 nights at Vermont Inn, everything was so terrific we ended up staying 4 nights. Tim (new owner) has done a wonderful job bringing it back to its former, well-deserved reputation after the previous owners. My family has stayed at the Vermont Inn since the 70s and the Inn is again the warm, clean, friendly, yummy place we knew so well. Breakfasts are very good with lots of choices; there's fruit and cookies out for snacking in afternoon and evenings. Tim gave great recommendations for restaurants (although he plans to have dinners back at V.I. for season), for hiking, for reasonable golf. Also kayaked and visited local museums/sites. We stayed in Room A, but got to see a lot of the rooms and would stay in any of them. Go and Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank pattigail1
Manchester, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I won a free 2 night stay at the Vermont Inn and can't wait to go back as a paying customer. The couple that run the Inn and their staff are so inviting and friendly. The Inn is perfectly located for those who enjoy the outdoors (we went for a couple hikes, kayaked and during the winter you can ski). The Inn is also near Rutland so we enjoyed a movie night and a street fair. While we spent a lot of time outside our room was perfect (we were in room C which was newly redesigned). The room included a comfy King bed, a jacuzzi, fireplace, TV, and beautiful vanity. Your stay also comes with a great breakfast (for a small inn they have a large breakfast menu). I would highly recommend staying at the Vermont Inn for an escape or if you're just traveling through!

Room Tip: Room C is perfect for a private couple because you have your own entrance and you're close to th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kaitlin S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendon
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Comfort Inn Trolley Square
Red Clover Inn & Restaurant
Cortina Inn and Resort

Been to The Vermont Inn? Share your experiences!