“Wonderful meal in an inviting setting”

Red Clover Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Mendon
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Looking for an interesting dinner experience while on a ski vacation in the Killington, VT area, we chose the Chef's Choice 3 course dinner and were each served 3 different choices... which allowed for sharing / enjoying a variety of selections. The atmosphere (in the least formal dining area, with a lovely crackling fire) was inviting while not stuffy, service was attentive and charming, and each course had a subtle, unexpected twist, delicious and was visually appealing. We splurged on wine, but the meals were a great value and a lovely experience. We definately plan on returning.

1  Thank Eva B

Reviewed February 17, 2014

What started off rocky was surely compensated for during the rest of our stay! We got to the Inn a little before check-in in the middle of a snow storm. They had not plowed, making parking difficult and necessitating a few trips to our car in blizzard conditions. We were hungry and in need of a rest room after a long drive so we were crabby to begin with. Our Innkeeper, Laura, immediately tried everything she could to help us out, shoveling the walk, carrying our gear, and, in general, being so good-natured and accommodating it was hard to feel inconvenienced-or crabby!
After settling in, we relaxed by the fire, talked with other quests and felt very much at home. It was Valentine's Day and we had reservations for dinner at the Inn. Our meal was wonderfully prepared--scallops that were tasty and a home-made gnocchi that was to die for! Our chocolate flourless torte for dessert was accompanied by salted caramel ice cream. It was fantastic! After dinner, we had drinks at the bar with Ryan, who was friendly and accommodating to the nth degree. We discovered we were from the same home town.
After a full evening, we slept in a very comfortable bed and woke to coffee and a full breakfast. The chef was very willing to accommodate my vegetarian requests. Then…Innkeeper, Charlotte, made plans for us to take cross-country ski lessons at The Mountain Top Resort---where we had a blast all day (and, the next)! After a night out in Rutland for a change of scenery, we came back to the bar for drinks and again had a really warm, inviting experience with Bartender, Ryan. We met, Colin, the Chef, and chatted about life in Vermont, music, Bob Dylan, family, food...
We had dinner at the Inn on our third night there and it exceeded our expectations. My husband had a filet mignon prepared to perfection and I had spring rolls, salad, soup…all wonderful and served with a variety of warm breads and olive oil. We were served coffee by the fire. After dinner, we again joined Ryan for a drink. Chef Colin came out of the kitchen and, as promised the night before, sang "Hurricane" by Bob Dylan, a capella with my husband. Their audience of 3 really enjoyed the show.
Overall, this place is quintessential Vermont. It is down home and friendly with a touch of elegance. There was just the right balance of privacy and sociability. The grounds are beautiful, the room was comfortable and clean and the common areas were welcoming and cozy…especially, sitting by the fire every night. The staff that we met-Laura, Charlotte, Jeff, Ryan and Colin-were all so friendly and accommodating. If there was a problem or request, they were on it!
We look forward to returning to the Red Clover again for our winter get-away.
Tips: for XCS Mountain Top was great. A visit to Woodstock is a 25 mile ride but worth the trip.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

On a cold winter evening my husband and I were looking for a special place for dinner. It didn't get better than the Red Clover Inn where we sat in front of the fire and enjoyed a wonderful dinner. My husband had the salmon and I had the pork schnitzel - both were great! Although I was comfortably full from my meal, I passed on dessert. My husband could not resist the salted caramel ice cream which he seemed to put down pretty quickly and raved about all the way home! If in the area - put the Red Clover Inn on your list of restaurants to visit!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

It has been awhile since my family has visited Killington. The past few years we have been skiing at Stratton. This year we booked MLK weekend at Killington and were looking forward to dining at Hemmingway/s Restaurant. We had no idea it was closed. We were very disappointed as we loved their food. Looking online, we found The Red Clover Inn. My husband, 14 year old son, and I ate there Saturday night. The food was fabulous!!!!!!!! I had the crispy duck appetizer and the short ribs. Both were delicious! My husband had the butternut squash soup and the trout. Excellent! My son had the mussels and the veal schnitzel. The muscles were wonderful. The veal was good, but had too much breading. For dessert, we were all so stuffed, we shared the exquisite creme brûlée.

The Red Clover Inn is the perfect country inn. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. It reminds me of The Inn At West View Farm in Dorset, VT. The next time we ski at Killington, we will book our stay at The Red Clover Inn. I can only imagine how great the breakfast will be!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We were in Killington for my 50 b-day/ ski trip/ New Year celebration. Our experience at the Red Clover was SOOOOO Bad that I do not wish this upon anyone else!!!

The Inn itself lacks charms/ character, void of all authenticity of its 1840 period architecture. It is construction remuddling, nothing but a few "boxes" in various sizes married together like a renovation that had gone bad. The main dining has no ambience. Our table was in the middle of the room and we felt like we were center stage because the rest of the tables were spaced too far apart and too few of them- nothing cozy about that space at all. There was no wide plank wood flooring that one would normally expect in a old country inn, instead, they have the econo narrow oak strip flooring, cheap beaded board wainscott installed, complemented by the cheesy gas insert fire place, that goes on and off due to the thermostat setting.

The dinner was the worst culinary experience ever. It was a 3 course pre-fixe dinner for $85.00 per person. We were a party of four and they charged us 20% gratuity- totally uncalled for! They certainly did not wait on us hand and foot; their service was the bare bone minimum one would expect within the industry.

For the first course we all had French onion soup. Their version of the French onion was nothing like norm, there wasn't any gruyere nicely melted and draped over the bowl. It was served in an oversized like ramekin, and was only half filled- worried about running out of food?? It tasted like salty bouillon with rosemary, with hardly any onions in it or cheese.

For second course they served their version of the cassoulet with lobster. Nothing of substance or hearty like what one would expect from the real caasoulet- only a few chunks of lobster and the rest were white beans.

Main course, my husband and one son had the beef Wellington- what a joke- if they were on the show "Chopped" they would have been chopped. It was for New Year's Eve, you would think they would put extra effort to make it special. The plating was bad-the beef Wellington sat on a pile of mashed potato with literally ONE broccoli floret on the side. How about fingerling potatoes and a few spears of asparagus or haricot vert instead??

As for dessert, it was either 3 single bite sized very dry cupcakes or bread pudding. How about trying to indulge us a little with something like flourless choc tort, or creme brulee, or flambé of some sort?? Mind you, coffee or tea was not even included, for $85.00.

In our almost close to 25 years of marriage this was the very first New Year's eve that we didn't even open a bottle of champagne afterwards because of this horrendously bad experience at this Inn. The meals was almost $500- money was not the issue, it was the fact that it tasted so bad and they have the balls to charge that price! Even The Garlic down the road has a much better over all experience to offer...nice bar to hangout and certainly a much cozier dining room to dine in, something that the Red Clove can learn from!!

1  Thank Alex S