“Excellent food in a cozy atmosphere.”

Red Clover Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Mendon
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Our family tried the Red Clover Inn because we had a gift certificate, knowing nothing about it. We loved this place! It's a very cozy atmosphere (fireplace in the dining room) near Killington Mountain and wonderful wait staff. The food was outstanding and elegant, and they were willing to make changes due to our dietary needs. We will definitely go back to take some of our friends!

There are newer reviews for Red Clover Inn & Restaurant

Reviewed February 16, 2012

My wife and I dined at the Red Clover Inn and Restaurant for the first time this evening. After living in the area for over 40 years, we tried the restaurant for dinner and what a pleasant surprise. Superb dinners in a very nice country inn atmosphere. We will definitely be returning now that we have discovered this hidden treasure. The inn and restaurant is located about 15 minutes east of Rutland, VT just off US route 4 in the little town of Mendon. Just far enough from Rutland and the Killington and Pico ski areas to keep it intimate.

2  Thank Ted_in_VT
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Having recently moved to Rutland from the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, I was really looking forward to eating at the Red Clover Inn. Based upon what I had heard, it sounded like a sophisticated restaurant of the type found in South Florida, but located in the Green Mountains. So, on Valentine's day, my fiancee and I headed up the mountain to have dinner there.

The restaurant is very cosy and we were shown to a table for two next to a table for four that was already occupied. The service was a bit slow to begin with - to be honest, I think that they were slightly understaffed. Cutting to the chase, we decided to go with the Valentines Day tasting menu at $72 per head. The food was very good: first course, a parsnip soup with Maine lobster; second course, scallops with clams on a bed of risotto; third course, tenderloin of beef with potato, french beans and spinach; finally, dessert of key lime pie with homemade ice cream.

Now for the not so good part. The table of four seated next to us was loud and obnoxious. Although they were in their 50s, they were loudly boasting about doing shots at a local hangout and other juvenile behavior. At one point, one of them even stated loudly how quiet everyone was in the restaurant. Trying to conduct a conversation was difficult, given the volume of the table next to us. However, despite, their loud and obnoxious behavior, management did nothing to tone it down; even though it was quite clear that we were not the only couple in the restaurant to feel uncomfortable.

When we left, we mentioned the behavior of the other table to the waitress, who spoke to someone who appeared to be a manager, who in turn did nothing. Having bought a bottle of Caymus at $180, the total bill including tip was over $400. Although, the food was very good, the average service and failure of management to ask the other table to quieten down led to a mediocre Valentine's day dinner. I have eaten at better restaurants for the same amount of money. Perhaps we just picked the wrong night to visit, but at over $400 for two, I won't take the chance to repeat my mistake.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Nice ambiance without overdoing it. Friendly and hospitable. Food is very nice with special attention to local products. The wine tasting menu on the first Friday of the month is really recommended. Chef Dennis is for sure one of the best chefs in northern New England.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

What a fabulous meal and exceptional service in a lovely location. It's a bit pricy but worth every penny. I'd rather eat here once a week, than some place else twice. You can keep the expense down as there are delicious dinners for $24.

I've been to many fine dining establishments all over the world and right down the street from where I ski is this amazing place. It's hard to find meals that are memorable, but this is the place.

It's a romantic setting but I went with friends and will go back with friends. This place is a DO NOT MISS.