“My Favorite Place to Go”

Countryman's Pleasure
Ranked #4 of 9 Restaurants in Mendon
Cuisines: Austrian, German
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Vermont
“My Favorite Place to Go”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I live in the area and this is my place for celebrations. The food is consistently good and the menu has not changed in the 12 years I've been going there. I like that I can count on that. The atmosphere is homey and comfortable. Service is not swift but the chef makes everything as it is ordered so it hasn't been sitting around.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank rdinvt

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food & Service!!!”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We went to Countryman's Pleasure Restaurant in Mendon, Vermont as a family this past winter and had an excellent time! After skiing all day, we stopped for an evening dinner and began with a variety of appetizers. We were pleasantly greeted by the hostess and our waitress was friendly and attentive to our family dinner. We had a Fiddlehead toast and an authentic German brautwurst with garlic mashed potatoes and house homemade mustard and saurkraut. These appetizers was so good and of good portions we decided to order an extra appetizer, which was the Bavarian Split Pea Soup. Hats off to the chef! We were all impressed by the variety and quality of these appetizers and also that Countryman's Pleasure has an extensive German beer variety. I ordered the Dunkel (dark) beer and my son ordered the Berliner Weisse with raspberry sugaring. For the entrees, my wife ordered the Weinersnitzel with Crabmeat and hollandaise and described the foot as mouthwatering with authentic Austrian German food delicious flavor. My wife lived in Germany and is quite fond of German food and of the authenticity of the German food at Countryman's Pleasure. I ordered the Venison Medallians, also very tastey and perfectly cooked. My daughter was very happy with the Roast Duckling with Orange Sauce. We are a family that enjoys skiing in Vermont, and after a day of skiing our day could not have been more complete with the great meal and a great atmosphere we had at Countrymans Pleasure! We will definitely be back next winter to visit this cozy Austrian-Colonial Restaurant with a great variety of food and service!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Chris M
“Fo' Schnitzel”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Went here this past Presidents' Weekend. Food is good, as is the quality. Portions could be a quarter percent bigger for the price. Atmosphere is like eating in a well-kept grandmother's house. Staff is friendly and attentive. I have been here four times now over a 5 year period and it is very consistent.

2 Thank OhFace
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
“Excellent food and service! Loved it!”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We went to the Countryman's for dinner on New Year's Day and couldn't have been more pleased with our choice. We wanted a nice glass of wine, comfort food and a cozy atmosphere -- this was absolutely ideal.

The staff was extremely welcoming and friendly. Not being especially familiar with German/Austrian cuisine, we appreciated their explanations and suggestions, as well as their recommendations for good wine pairings.

The meal began with a bread basket filled with piping hot crusty rolls - two of which had some type of orange marmalade baked into the top. YUM. Our salads had a homemade house buttermilk ranch dressing that was such a treat. We shared the sausage app, which was delicious sitting atop fresh sauerkraut and garlic mashed potatoes. The house mustard for dipping added another great flavor level. The show stopper was the wiener schnitzel--tender veal slices with a wonderfully crisp light breading. Not at all greasy. The anchovies and capers gave it a great spark of saltiness. We also had the sauerbrauten, which was cooked beautifully, but I think that's more of an acquired taste as we liked the veal best. Both dinners came with a tasty creamed spinach, a sweet type of cabbage and there was spaetzle and more garlic mashed potatoes. We basically licked the plate. Of course we had to try dessert after such a satisfyingly terrific dinner. The chocolate linzer torte was outstanding. The deep dish cobbler was good, but seemed a bit watery on the bottom. I would have gone with the struedel or one of the more native pastries instead.

This is a chef who knows what he is doing and employs a staff who clearly seems to enjoy sharing his culinary talents with guests. It's true the prices are not cheap, but I think you get what you pay for -- the food is deserving of this price point. I highly recommend it and we will definitely be back if we return to the Killington area. Thanks Countryman's, for starting our New Year off right!

Visited January 2012
Killington
“Outstanding food. Great service.”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Hans Ettinger knows what he is doing. Lots of great choices - definitely recommned the Veal Ettinger with Alaskan King Crab.

1 Thank KTownLocal

Been to Countryman's Pleasure? Share your experiences!