“Terrible treatment, huge headache”

Cortina Inn and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Mendon B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I'm not sure where to start about this place. I booked through Killington.com and thought I was getting a great package. We only stayed one night and were there to ski, so we weren't very picky about lodgings.

When we arrived, they couldn't find our reservation -- even though we had picked up our lift tickets under the same reservation just fine. Luckily they had one room left, a suite, and unhappily put us there. The suite cost substantially more than the room I had already paid for, and they were obviously trying to figure out how to recoup the money. We waited 20 minutes while they tried to sort out the problem.

When we did get to the room, the heat didn't work, there was no blanket on the bed, and the room was dirty. In fact, the "tell us how we're doing" comment card was covered in grease and crumbs. Disgusting. When we went down to complain, they got the heat to work (thank goodness) and handed us a blanket...which we later discovered was COVERED in toothpaste. I will say that the bed itself was clean and comfortable.

When we checked out in the morning, we were again forced to wait 20 minutes while the staff attempted to figure out our reservation. They kept assuring us we didn't owe anything, but it was unclear why they were making us wait. We walked out and told them to call us if there were issues. I got home and saw a charge for $300 on my credit card from the inn. I called furiously, and the manager told me to take it up with Killington.com. I recommended that THEY take it up with Killington.com, since I was the guest and had paid for what I bought. Management could clearly care less about their guests. I plan on calling AmEx next to dispute the charge.

A total nightmare and headache. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anonymous131360745
jbhakta, Manager at Cortina Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I do apoligize for the mistake that we made during your stay with us. After some intense review of what led to the problem, I am happy to say that we have identified , and corrected the problem. If you have any other recomendations that you think we could improve upon please feel free to post them or contact us directly. In the future if you ever find your self in the killington area again, please be sure that you are always welcome here at the Cortina Inn.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

My research into lodging options for Killington turned out to be somewhat futile. I couldn’t find a well-reviewed resort so now that I have stayed in one; I want to build up their positive feedback. I chose the Cortina Inn based on Traveler photos here on TA as well as location. Regardless of past reviews I felt comfortable that more recent reviews since the renovation and ownership change have been positive. We checked in late Friday night around midnight after a long drive from NYC. There was a person on staff at the front desk who checked us in happily & provided guidance on where we could get a nightcap close by. The outside of the resort does not do any justice to the lovely renovations that were done since Cortina recently transitioned. It helped that in this very warm winter it began to snow as we entered the Rutland area. The check in area is Vermont quaint with fireplaces, old wooden skis and a central area with a comfortable & charming seating area around a common fireplace. Our room on the first floor was recently renovated with flat screen, new carpeting, new and very comfortable beds and renovated bathrooms. The room was quiet for being right near a main common area. Outside our room #104 was the entrance to the indoor pool & whirlpool which looked lovely and clean. We dropped our bags and drove less than a mile for a drink at McGrath’s Irish Pub – what a find.
We both slept quite well during our 2 night stay after sampling the free cookies at the check-in area. There was hardly any sound and we awoke to the included breakfast prior to hitting the mountain. It wasn’t spectacular but it did the trick. There was watery coffee but decent eggs, bacon, toast, cereal, apples & pancakes. We found stronger coffee on our way up to the mountain. The drive to Killington is less than 10 minutes & the area around Cortina has its own options for dining. Most notably Snow Angel which a great new dinner spot. Overall our stay was quiet, private, comfortable and close to the mountain. We were a couple alone and although it wasn’t 5 star, it felt romantic and New England-ish for us. We would absolutely go back.

Room Tip: Breakfast is okay but the Sun Up bakery on the way to the mountain has way better coffee. Super-cut...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2012

aVery nice and cozy. The rooms are renovated and clean, the pool is nice and big. They welcome you with cookies and coffee or tea. Great fireplace in the middle. The only complain I have about this hotel is that they don't serve breakfast (which is free) past 9a.m. We like to sleep late, stayed there for 2 night and did not have a breakfast once...then we had to ride to the town to get it. They do allow pets with a 25 dol per day fee :)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank kaska1
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My extended family and I used to travel to Cortina annually 10+ years ago--my husband and I even got engaged there. It was so disappointing to see it fall into disrepair and close. We couldn't have been more thrilled when we learned that it was operational again and under new management. We booked 4 rooms for a weekend in December and really had a great time. We are excited to see the new owners bring it back to life as they continue to make improvements and get the entire hotel functional. My kids LOVED the pool and jacuzzi. The open space by the fireplace was great for relaxing and the kids played games on the floor and explored. The renovation on the rooms currently open has been done well. New carpets/drapes/flat screen televisions/mattresses. The beds were amazingly comfortable. The full breakfast included with the price of the room was the perfect start to our day.

By far, the best part was the attentive service. Manjari was amazing and we really enjoyed talking with her and hearing her plans for the rest of the renovation work. We had several kids in our party and we wanted to take advantage of the fresh snow with some sledding--we only brought 2 sleds, though so Manjari ran out to the local Walmart and purchased a slew of new sleds for us to use. Top notch customer service! There was a gentleman on staff who has been with the inn off and on for the last 2 decades--he seemed to do a little of everything. If he wasn't making fresh cookies to put out in the afternoon (coffee and cookies every afternoon was a welcome treat!) he was hanging more Christmas decorations or heading somewhere with a tool box to fix something.

I came across a few negative reviews of the inn on-line but I think the hotel's troubled past under different ownership has put some people on the defensive and looking for something to complain about. The new management is really going all out to make the Cortina Inn a place to return to again and again. My family and I plan to rekindle our annual tradition of spending a weekend there each December.

Room Tip: There are some adjoining rooms that are convenient for families traveling together. If you are trav...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank fonz101
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Spent two nights recently with my wife (had gone for skiing at Killington - I am a frequent visitor to this area/other ski resorts in US). The owners (particularly Jigar) were very attentive to our needs. There was a minor problem with our heating unit which he immediately took care of. They have recently opened this place (under their management) and are putting in their best effort.

The lobby is decorated very tastefully with nice paintings and a beautiful fireplace area. The room was spacious, bathroom was modest sized but clean, bed comfortable. Breakfast was good and was included in the price. The pool area was very nice, though the hot tub jets could have been better. They are still working on their Health club/spa area, and operating with minimal staff.

On our visit (weekdays), it didn't look that busy and overall ambience was relatively quiet (wish it was a little livelier). The location is about 15 mins from K1 lodge. The property is fairly big, looks good and is very visible on the main road (US route 4), though we did have some problems finding it using phone-navigation.

Overall, few minor snags but I don't consider myself a finicky traveler. In my opinion, one cannot ask for better value for money in this area. I would surely go back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JayS1973
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We were four persons who had lived in cortina inn and resort hotel. The bed is very clean and the room even whole hotel looks very new. It also has a good swimming pool and a hot tub. Actually, we booked three rooms b4, but two of my friends couldn't go for some reasons, and i made a mistake for canceling the room, the system charge me another extra fee for the room. The front desker is a girl who not only beautiful but also very nice, she told to the hotel.com that the cortina inn and resort hotel won't charge us for this extra fee. So appreciate. Hope i can get the refund in 7 days. Here, i wanna recommend the everyone who want to go to vermont for a trip to go to this good hotel. Its really good!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank ada s
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Comfortable beds. Very clean we had a nice big bathroom and a dressing room/ walk in closet. Perfect place to come back to after skiing and really close to the bars :)

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Laurany25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendon
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
#3 of 13 in Killington
Killington Mountain Lodge
Killington Mountain Lodge
#4 of 13 in Killington

Been to Cortina Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!