“One night”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Mendon
New Hampshire
“One night”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The price was right but this hotel is tired. Needs upgrading. Ants crawling around air conditioner and barely operational. Curtains falling off rod. Place smelled. Dark, dingy. Front desk caged in. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Back faces the apartment of owners, junk cars, etc. the front faces the road but you are far enough...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nhvthiker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Flushing
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was very dissapointed and felt very comfortable in this lodge. Very small, very outdated, ac didnt work in room, called front desk asked for a fan and he brought a small personal fan, one lock didnt lock, phone didnt work in room, wallpaper peeling, walls and floor so thin you can hear every little step and sound. Said not smoking but the hallway smelled like weed!!!!! Nothing next to hotel. The pool is so small. Not happy at all with stay. Will NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN

• Stayed July 2013

Travelers are raving about these Mendon hotels

Long Island NY
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My family has been staying at the Econo lodge in Mendon, Vermont as part of our summer holiday plans. We love the place, since it is simple, low-key and incredibly convenient to all of the area attractions. We golf, we hike, we antique and we swim in the gorgeous pool that is immaculate. The owner, personally cleans the pool everyday, and there is not a leaf or bug in the pool - ever. The kids love it and I get nice exercise or can read a book while they play. They maintain the most affordable in the area -- and that gives me more budget to spend on outlet shopping! This area remains one fo the most beautiful in the country for summer time vacations. There are great area restaurants - Sugar and Spice is one of our family favorites, with gift shops right there. We discovered this location, with our ski vacations - and often come up during the ski season to get the great deals to stay here in the winter. This place has charm and has a lending library and a very homey feel to it. But the real deal is the tremendous value, clean rooms and quiet, low key atmosphere. We have brought friends here and they had the same experience. Great value and get away in a beautiful setting!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, ask the owners about your specific needs, they can give you a mini- fridge...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Took a trip to the southern part of the state with a friend. We needed a place to spend the night without breaking the bank. Econo Lodge answered our need. Clean rooms and friendly staff made us feel welcome. Light breakfast in the morning was enough to get us going. We did some sightseeing in the area and returned for a second night. Second night just like the first. No surprises and we would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Allen R
Easthampton MA
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My ranking is based on the price of the room, which was the lowest in the Killington area. No horror stories here. Our room was very large with two queen beds. Mattress and bedding were OK. There was a fridge and yes, the horror, a non-flat screen TV. Very little in the way of decor and the paint was worn and the floor was a bit uneven. But, the room and the property were spotless for our visit. The lobby and breakfast room are pleasant. Breakfast is very basic but enough to get you going. The staff was quite friendly and helpful. For economy lodging this was pleasant, quiet and comfortable. I'd stay here again for a night or two.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 15, 2013

There's not a whole lot to like about the Killington Econolodge. Sure, it's got character… but it's not the kind of character that inspires awe or wonder. Let's be frank, this place is cheap, conveniently located and clean. Other than that, it's a dump.

I stayed in a second floor double for two days and they were somewhat trying. The econolodge lacks what, in my humble opinion, are the most important things a hotel can offer.

First of all, the ability to change the goddamn temperature. I've never stayed at a hotel before that didn't have a thermostat in the rooms, especially a hotel that's a branded franchise of a national chain. Nevertheless, if you don't like the climate in your room, too bad. Opening a window in the dead of winter and trying to achieve the delicate balance of the too-hot, hotel-wide heating and the frigid outside air is really your only option.

The second problem I had was the wireless internet access. And that -- it sucked. And by that I mean that it was spotty at best, and downright nonexistent at worst. The latter was the case for most of my stay. When I stay at a hotel, I'm basically there to sleep, and when I have down time to kill. The way I generally do that is by taking care of some mundane tasks like email checking and internet browsing. If I can't do that for some reason, I get considerably irritated.

The bottom line is that, even for a cheap overnight stay during a busy time of year in a ski resort town, this place doesn't make the cut. Stay somewhere -- anywhere -- else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Medford, New Jersey
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I travelled to Killington and stayed at the Killington Econo Lodge on March 1 and 2 with a friend for a weekend of skiing. I chose this motel as we had stayed here before and it had been an acceptable stay and the price was attractive. The check in process was fine and pleasant enough. When we went to the room, I walked into the bathroom and the toilet was filled with an unflushed bowel movement and toilet paper. It was absolutely the grossest thing I have EVER experienced in a hotel/motel stay. There was a (BIG) dead fly laying in the bathtub next to the drain. To top it off, there was a previously used towel hanging on a hook behind the door. It was obvious the bathroom had not been cleaned, and it made me wonder if they had even bothered to change the sheets, much less the bedcovers. The room was very hot and the temperature was pretty tricky to control. I made a call to the front desk and they said to turn the control knob down all the way. We did that but it didn't stop the hot air from blowing. We ended up keeping the window cracked all night in order to get the temperature to a bearable level. The beds were very hard and did not provide a very comfortable sleep.

Breakfast is very basic and includes bagels, cakes, donuts, bread, OJ and coffee. It would have been nice to have some fruit or something healthy in addition to all the starch offerings. Also, there was no cream cheese for the bagels, only butter and jelly. The first day they had oatmeal, which made it acceptable. The second day they had run out of oatmeal by 7:30 and said that there was no more in the back. Needless to say, the breakfast could use some simple improvements by having cream cheese for the bagels, a supply of oatmeal, and possibly some fruit. Overall the property is not in bad condition. It just seems to be run on a bare bones budget and with little attention to cleanliness. They could stand to make some simple updating on certain items. The desk has metal bars that separate the staff from the guests, which is a pretty odd and unfriendly looking. The upstairs has a Internet computer, but it is a desktop and not sure it even gets used. They do have a jacuzzi, but it is very small - four adults would be very tight.

For positives, they do have a fireplace in the lobby, although it was barely burning in the afternoon after skiing. The room was nice sized and appeared clean other than the bathroom situation. There is a ping pong table and a pool table in the basement, which is good for kids. I would have rated this property a "3" if I had not experienced the disgusting bathroom. It could even be a "4" if they added some simple and not too expensive upgrades to the breakfast and some updating of the interior.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second level on the middle wing at the end. Noise was not a problem at all.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendon
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Comfort Inn Trolley Square
Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area
Red Clover Inn & Restaurant
Killington-Pico Motor Inn

Been to Budget Host Killington Lodge? Share your experiences!