“Wonderful Winter Getaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marshfield
Hollister Hill Farm B&B
Ranked #1 of 3 Marshfield B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Wonderful Winter Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Hollister in February as a Valentine’s Day retreat – it was wonderful! We had the place to ourselves (which is why we didn’t mind that there are no locks on the doors – a bit of a shock for paranoid New Yorkers), and Montpellier (which has several great restaurants for dinner) is just 10 minutes away.

We woke ourselves up at 6AM for the morning chores (milking cows and cleaning pig-pens)-totally worth it for the gorgeous view of the sunrise over the snow-covered pastures. Breakfast with the farmers was very enjoyable – delicious food and great conversation. Bob and Lee are great hosts and love to share stories and advice about their 30+ year careers as farmers.

During the daytime we borrowed the house snowshoes and went exploring in the woods or walked Ruby and Bella (two very adorable Golden Retrievers). At night after dinner, we shared a bottle of wine in front of a fireplace with the radio playing and a good book. Highly recommended for couples.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2009

Pros
- Lee and Bob are extremely warmhearted - they stayed up late to welcome us, showed us the whole farm, gave us tips on surrounding places to see, etc.
- Beautiful old farm house - everything pretty antique except for the sauna
- Active farm with pigs, buffalos, cows, maple syrup, etc. - interesting to see them all, surrounding nice for walks
- Big breakfast together with Lee, Bob and other guests
- Only 4 rooms, thereof 2 with fireplace, 1 with private sauna, plus house was not full when we were there in late Sept.
- Spacious lounge with fireplace and dining table (fridge, etc. all there) - nice place to have dinner if not eating out. very cosy, hardly used

Cons
- honestly, I cannot think of any... if you are there for a week, you might run out of nearby attractions... - we were there for two days and had plenty to see (Ben & Jerry's, Deep Hollow Cyder Mill, Montpellier)
- for backpackers: you do need a car of course

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Pawtucket, RI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

My daughter was going away on her honeymoon - and I was going to take care of her 10-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter. To help me, I was taking along a 15-year-old babysitter. I had reading to do for courses I was taking. I could not have found a greater place. Lee and Farmer Bob were pleasant, gracious hosts. They took time to talk to the kids and show them around. The inn is a working farm with chickens, pigs, beefalo, and ducks. Given that I had the babysitter with me to help supervise, the kids fed the pigs, found eggs, all sorts of play in the hayloft...and I got to read and write in peace. Best of all, it was maple sugar time still. The kids got the experience of gathering sap. My grandson went into the sugar shack and watched more of the experience. That night, since it was the last of the sap gathering, we were invited to share in the celebration and the kids ate hot dogs cooked in maple sap. They had an absolute blast! The night before we left one of the golden retrievers had puppies. Another new experience for my city-grown grandchildren. Beautiful country vistas and views. A short drive into Montpelier gave us "city-folk" a little taste of home for some Dunkin' Donuts, Ben & Jerry's, and shopping. The inn itself was clean and well-kept. We had a fireplace in both the sitting room and the bedroom to cut the April chill. We were in the family suite. My grandson slept on a pull-out couch, the girls in a separate, adjoining room, and I took the big double bed. All reported sleeping comfortably. We had a little dining area with microwave and fridge to keep sodas, juices and lunch meat, heat up some mac and cheese and soup for lunch and dinner. The breakfasts, with products from the farm, were superb! City friends - don't get scared, but it is on a dirt road. Well-worth the travel!

• Liked — The breakfasts!
  • Disliked — Difficult to get cell service - but Internet access was fine!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Apopka, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2008

The entire personality of this B&B easily makes it one of the best accommodations I've ever visited. This is a family ran, working farm, and part of Vermont's farm stay network. They raise a number of farm animals, vegetables, and open their beautiful home to guests. Lee & Bob are two of the most hospitable, friendly, warm hosts we've ever had.

The room was incredibly CLEAN, spacious, and tastefully decorated. Everything was very comfortable. We stayed in a suite, so we had our own bathroom and fireplace in our room as well. I think other rooms also have fireplaces, but I can only suspect.

Daily breakfast is amazing and made entirely of local products. Actually, everything they served came from their farm. Only a few individual objects have to be brought in from other local farms. One morning, Lee, the hostess, collected the potatoes for our breakfast that same morning directly from her garden.

Breakfast is very intimate, the table is right in the kitchen where we can sit and talk while Lee does her magic. After she's done, her and Bob will join their guest at the table. It's very much a warm, family feeling.

Bob, the host, is more than happy to show off the couple's farm and animals. Guests are also welcome to visit the animals on their own. Likewise, Lee is very proud of her vegetable and herb garden and will be more than happy to show off her side of the farm.

This B&B is great for a variety of travelers. I stayed with my husband in search of R&R, which we easily accomplished here. But is also great for kids who can run around in the open spaces outside and pet the animals in the barn.

• Liked — Rooms were very clean, spacious, and comforable.
  • Disliked — I loved everything.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marshfield
Capitol Plaza
Betsy's Bed and Breakfast
Betsy's Bed and Breakfast
#3 of 4 in Montpelier
Maplecroft Bed And Breakfast

Been to Hollister Hill Farm B&B? Share your experiences!