“Quaint Vermont Charm, Friendly Hospitality”
Review of The Barnstead Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manchester
The Barnstead Inn
Ranked #5 of 12 Manchester B&B and Inns
Philadelphia
“Quaint Vermont Charm, Friendly Hospitality”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I started visiting the Barnstead Inn with my parents and brother when I was a kid. We would drive up on a Friday night, get up in the morning and drive to Bromley or Stratton Mountains just 10 minutes away for a day of skiing. Now that I'm married, my husband and I continue the tradition every year, and he loves it just as much as me. We have brought our friends up and they love it too and return with us every year. The Barnstead has the old Vermont charm that I remember from my childhood, back when the old Jelly Mill was still around and Manchester was a little less built up (don't get me wrong, I love all the shopping and dining that's available now, and the Barnstead is less than a minute drive to the center of town). The rooms are very quiet and warm, with quaint, adorable decorations and comfortable beds. The bathrooms are clean and the water is always hot. The mini-fridge in the room is the perfect size to hold our cold apres-ski beers. Neil and Cynthia are always warm and welcoming, and remember us year after year. We feel like we are visiting a home away from home when we stay at the Barnstead, and we can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TMMG09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband, two children, and I have stayed at the Barnstead Inn twice now and have had wonderful experiences both times -- staying at the Barnstead will be a family tradition for many winters to come. The rooms are beautiful and cozy, and Neil and Cindy are terrific hosts. I cannot say enough good about this place -- how terrific the hospitality (Neil and Cindy put a Christmas tree in our room so we could have a lovely Christmas morning away from home), how lovely the rooms, how charming the grounds, and how convenient (10 minute walk) into the heart of Manchester. The perfect place for a lovely winter getaway --

Room Tip: The Green River room has a spa tub and plenty of room for a family with small kids.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy R
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I have stayed several times at the Barnstead Inn during the ski season (2011 and 2012). Not only is the inn charming, comfortable and conveniently located, Neal (the owner) is a wonderful host. He always makes us feel like family, remembering us after we stayed just once. We now consider it 'our' place and look forward to our trips to visit - it's our little oasis away from NYC. The rooms are clean, well maintained and feel like home. We're already looking forward to returning in 2013!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katie S
Ridgewood, New York, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I'm looking forward to going back soon, will definitely be back for fall foliage 2013.
The room was modern, spacious and reasonably priced. Owners a great help with getting around the area. Great shopping nearby, but far enough away to not interfere with our stay.

northeastern pa
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I booked a three night stay here in early October 2012. Right from the start, we were made to feel welcome by the owner, who upgraded us to a suite at no extra cost. The suite was immaculate and charming beyond words, with its own cozy stove in the parlor area. It is quiet and relaxing, and our area was in the back of the building secluded from the rest. This was our first trip to Vermont, and the Barnstead Inn was exactly what I had pictured Vermont to be..warm, friendly, and charming! Thank you for a wonderful and memorable stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in the suite in the back of the building..very quiet.
Neil H, Owner at The Barnstead Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
It was our pleasure. See you again in the future!
Thanks again for staying with us!
Cindy & Neil
east coast
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Spent the weekend at the Barnstead Inn. It was disappointing -- we paid $192.50 with tax per night for two nights. We had to pay up front -- one night in advance and one night upon arrival. Now I know why...for that amount, I expect some luxury...this wasn't the case at all...very plain room, no amenities, simple bathroom, old sitting chairs, poor wifi, etc. For $125 a night it'd be okay, but after paying $400 for a weekend, I feel like I've been had.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank asdlf;kjdsaf
Neil H, Owner at The Barnstead Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
I was just informed of your review by a guest that frequents the Inn quite often and felt the need to respond. I am assuming that you had a king bedded guest room that you must have chosen. I must also assume that since you reserved a stay at the Inn that you must have seen our website. Please note that nowhere on our website does it state that The Barnstead Inn is a "Luxury Hotel". It is just what the site states an 1830's restored farm with cozy rooms tucked into a carriage house. As for the amenities, whatever the Barnstead Inn has to offer is also listed and a photos is provided on the website. The outdoor pool is closed in October and the weather was not that great. If the Wifi was not to your satisfaction perhaps you should have mentioned it. With the weather that we have been enjoying lately there is a strong possibility that it could have been in need of a reset. There is also a possibility that the problem was with your equipment as I had heard of no other difficulties. The thing to do was let me know that you had an issue then possibly I could have fixed it for you. But, I also realize that that could just seem like the right thing to do to me. The Barnstead Inn is a great place in a great Town. And it is our home. So, we do like to know if there is an issue. Thanks again for coming. Maybe sometime we could actually meet.
Neil
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I have travelled all over the world and I can honestly say this was one of my favorite places to stay. The rooms are clean, nicely decorated with warm charm. Our room had a fireplace that we loved, but after being given a lovely tour by the innkeeper Neil, I wouldn't hesitate staying in any one of the rooms. They all have unique charms to them that make this place quite special. The Innkeepers Neil & Cythia were exceptional. From helping with room selection, to accomodating a late arrival to making suggestions for dinner (via email before we even arrived!), you couldn't ask for more gracious hosts. The Inn is conveniently close to Manchester Center but nicely tucked away in it's own little nook away from the busier streets. It was like staying in a little cottage. This was a perfect, relaxing getaway from the city. Lovely people, great restaurants (Ye Old Tavern, fantastic!), amazing scenery and a fantastic place to stay. We can't wait to return to The Barnstead.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but if you're unsure or have questions just call the Inn and talk to Ne...