“Nothing reluctant about this Panther.....”

The Reluctant Panther Inn & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Reluctant Panther Inn & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 61 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Seminary Road
Description: The Restaurant features the Panther's renowned gourmet farm-to-table cuisine and offers a sophisticated dining experience that is among the highest rated in New England. The Patio Raw Bar is open seasonally offering Al Fresco dining for dinner in a less formal atmosphere. With views over the gardens and Mount Equinox, the Patio is a picturesque venue for a casual dinner. The Panther Pub is open for special events, private group dining and receptions and offers an intimate private dining or meeting experience.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife & I have been going to Southern Vermont for several years, and had always wanted to (but inexplicably hadn't) try the Reluctant Panther Restaurant and Inn. This past weekend we celebrated my wife's birthday there, and the Panther did not disappoint.

As far as restaurants in Southern Vermont go, this is an upscale affair (which means that anywhere else it would still be considered a "smart casual" dining experience). For starters, the dining room is very well appointed, the crowd slightly subdued and the waitstaff very professional. There is a very cool, small, wood paneled bar adjacent to the man dining room as well as a very quaint outdoor seating area off to the side.

Both my brother (a well traveled businessman) and my wife (born and raised in Paris) are wine aficionados, and both were very impressed with the extensive wine list provided at the Panther. Our appetizers ranged from mixed greens, seafoods and various meaty dishes all of which were very well prepped and served promptly. The size of the meals at the Panther are just right.

Three of the folks at our table ordered the Trout entree's and all were very satisfied. I opted for the Chicken Breast served on a bed of risotto, with asparagus. My meal was excellent, and the chicken was very tender and juicy.

This brings us to the desserts..... There is one in particular what I'd like to mention. The coffee and doughnuts. This is not of the Dunkin' Donuts variety (no offense to D&D), but rather one of the best desserts I have ever tasted. The dessert was so good, that I'd have to consider it as a possible candidate for an imaginary "last meal".

This is a really good restaurant. Great food, VT atmosphere, with just enough of a formal setting to provide a great dining experience.

1  Thank DQuigs

Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband is a foodie and he still drools talking about the meal we had. Everything was wonderful. The atmosphere was very nice for a romantic anniversary dinner. If you are in the area and love great fine dining, don't miss this gem.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Upscale but relaxing. The service, food and wine were amazing. Frank, short ribs and wine! A great combination! Definitely try it and also try the raw bar. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Just fantastic from start to finish. We came in stressed because Delta cancelled our flight for our honeymoon, throwing our wedding plans into disarray. We left feeling happy and relaxed, because everything about this restaurant is fantastic. First, it's beautiful and inviting. We sat by the fire and enjoyed a great cocktail (on the house!) while we finished our tortured phone call with Delta. Then we sat down for dinner and everything was perfect. The host was as gracious as could be, I wanted to hug him. The food was creative and perfectly done. Great wine. Lovely servers. It was one of our best meals in memory. This is saying a lot, as we live in the best restaurant neighborhood in the world (NYC's West Village). Well done.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

To begin with, the atmosphere is tremendous. Elegant, yet comfortable. For a sophisticated night out in Manchester, it's the best I've encountered.

The staff is friendly and attentive, and also get top marks.

Apetizers were excellent, and the salads were wonderful. The entrees were great as well, prepared exactly to requests. The wine list was modest, but had a good representation of all classes. The wine I had was very good.

A couple minor caveats. First, outside of the wine list, the bar menu was very limited, so if you are particular about your cocktails, you may be a bit disappointed (I confess, since I like my drinks straight, I'm a bit of a brand snob). Second, while the menu covered all the key areas (beef, chicken, fish, vegetarian), there were only one or two choices of each. Also, the choices are fairly traditional, which is fine with me, but if you are in search of eclectic options, you will probably not find what you are looking for. If you are particular, you may want to check the offings ahead of time.

Overall, as good a dinning experience as you will find in the area.