“Outstanding!”

Ranked #2 of 59 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Ye Olde Tavern is open daily... Cocktails start at 4:30pm and Dinner is from 5:00pm with last seating at 9:00pm. Reservations are always suggested. Our Tavern is handicapped accessible and attire is casual neat. Ye Olde Tavern has private rooms for meetings and special events, such as Brunch, Lunch, Dinner and Cocktails. We can serve up to 90 people in the entire circa 1790 Colonial Inn.The State of Vermont has recognized our circa 1790 Colonial Inn as a 'Green Restaurants'. Wine Spectator & Wine Enthusiast Magazine have recognized our Wine List as one of the best in the country. Minna & Michael Brandt- Proprietors Cassandra Bender- General Manager Cliff Cooper- Executive Chef Reservations are suggested.
Southbury, Connecticut
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Ye Olde Tavern with a large group of 14 guests. The service for our group was outstanding. We sampled most of the appetizers and enjoyed all of them. The group ordered a variety of entrees from their wide menu selection and everyone Loved their meal. Typically with such a wide selection one would expect that one or two items would be average or below average, but everyone raved about their meals. I would recommend this restaraunt to couples looking for a romantic dinner, small groups, families, and large groups. Essentially, Ye Olde Tavern is a great place for everyone.

Visited August 2013
Michael B, Owner at YE OLDE TAVERN, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
What a great way to start a Sunday morning. "Outstanding" , we could not ask for a better description of your evening. We are very lucky to have Server's that take great pride in making every guest feel welcome and attended to. The entire kitchen staff are fantastic at preparing great food and making sure no one leaves hungry, regardless if it is a group of 2, 14 or 90. Thank you for posting such a great review and choosing to dine with us. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future. Michael

CT
“Great food, a historic setting (and the locals eat here!)”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The history of the building is reflected in it's decor; it doesn't have a store-bought fake period feel-- it has actual antiques as well as beautiful wood floors and ceiling beams. We arrived early for dinner and had a great relaxed conversation with our server, who explained the menu choices and specials in detail. Over the next 15-30 minutes other guests started arriving, most saying hello to the staff by name. The food was well prepared and served with out feeling rushed. A great value for good food served in a historic location.

Visited June 2013
Michael B, Owner at YE OLDE TAVERN, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your visit and sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

It is great to read that you noticed that Our tavern is the genuine article and not this Disney version of a historic tavern. We took great thought and time into what we hang on the walls, the music, table settings, lighting and menu tall to evoke that bygone era, but with all the modern conveniences. Our staff takes pride in making every guest feel welcome and the "Locals & Regulars" have become part of Our expanding family.

We look forward to welcome you back, the next time you are in town. Best regards from Vermont. Michael

P.S. We invite you to 'LIKE' us on Facebook and keep up on what is going on at Ye OIde Tavern.
Bayville, New Jersey
“Delicious food in a great setting”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I were so happy we chose this restaurant for our anniversary dinner. The meals, waitress and atmosphere was great. It's a good place for a romantic dinner or special occasion. Reservations are needed on the weekends.

• Visited July 2013
Michael B, Owner at YE OLDE TAVERN, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
If we did not mention it that night, 'Happy Anniversary". Thanks for the kind words and choosing our historic tavern to celebrate your special occasion. We look forward to your next visit. Michael
Manchester, Vermont
“Great Vermont experience”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

All the charm you would expect from a Vermont restaurant. Food was excellent, well priced and staff was great!

Visited July 2013
Michael B, Owner at YE OLDE TAVERN, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Mitch,
Thanks so much for writing a review about Our tavern. It is great to know that your evening was a "Great Experience". Being from Manchester, hopefully you will make Ye Olde Tavern a regular stop on your dining calendar. Once again thanks for everything. Michael
North Bennington, Vermont
“Ants in the food”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Ants. There were ants in my coffee. Not one or two ants, but at least nine or ten. After an underwhelming, ordinary at best meal of broiled scallops that clearly came from the big bag in the freezer, there were dead ants in the bottom of my coffee cup. That's right--the bottom. After finishing a cup of coffee and baileys, I discovered, to my stomach turning horror, that there were was a small handful of dead insects pooled in the last of my after-dinner drink. Upon notifying the waitress, (in as discreet as way as possible considering the fact I was close to barfing up said scallops in a crowded dining room) she told us that they had been fighting the ants all summer, as if this was a common place experience. And then, NO KIDDING, she let us know that they would be comping the Baileys. Not the coffee. Not the meal, which included a lack-luster balsamic vinaigrette, that I cannot help but imagine the ants also loved, but the Bailey's. That was on them. The ants were free. My husband and I make a good living, and I wasn't overly concerned with the price of dinner, but having worked at a few restaurants in my younger days, I was pretty shocked. If there are ants in the coffee/liqueurs, I can imagine where else there are bugs. To not comp the entire meal and kiss some serious behind was pretty astounding. I will be avoiding this place, obviously, as well as warning future customers. If you like your dining the way it would have been during a hot, colonial summer in New England before modern refrigeration and extermination, this is the place for you. Otherwise, dine somewhere else, where they at least pretend to be surprised when you tip them a look into a coffee cup filled with dead insects.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank kate l
Michael B, Owner at YE OLDE TAVERN, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Kate,
Let me start by saying, "I would not be happy if I found small ants in my coffee either" I am very sorry it happened and understand how you felt. All of us at Ye Olde Tavern take customer feedback very seriously, this is the only way we can improve and keep the hight quality our guests have come to expect. Once this was brought to our attention, we disposed of the Bailey' bottle that they were in. Since your complaint, I have investigated and have not found ants in any other liquor or food items. It is summer and has been a wet one, so ants are definately around all of Vermont. We have been making sure that everything is sealed tightly and washed down extra carefully to prevent these little ants from visiting. Unfortunately they got into the Bailey's bottle. We should have bought the coffee in addition to the Bailey's, we dropped the ball on that. On your other observations, our scallops are dry-packed and are not frozen out of a bag and guests rave about our in-house made baslamic vinaigrette. We take every guest comment quite seriously and try to correct each problem. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and hopefully you will give us another try. Please contact me, if you choose to dine again, so myself or Shelley can make your night extra special. Michael