“Best Dinner in Many Months - Great Service, Food, Management” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of YE OLDE TAVERN

YE OLDE TAVERN
Ranked #2 of 59 Restaurants in Manchester
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Ye Olde Tavern is open daily... Cocktails start at 4:30pm and Dinner is from 5:00pm with last seating at 9:00pm. Reservations are always suggested. Our Tavern is handicapped accessible and attire is casual neat. Ye Olde Tavern has private rooms for meetings and special events, such as Brunch, Lunch, Dinner and Cocktails. We can serve up to 90 people in the entire circa 1790 Colonial Inn.The State of Vermont has recognized our circa 1790 Colonial Inn as a 'Green Restaurants'. Wine Spectator & Wine Enthusiast Magazine have recognized our Wine List as one of the best in the country. Minna & Michael Brandt- Proprietors Cassandra Bender- General Manager Cliff Cooper- Executive Chef Reservations are suggested.
Albany, NY
“Best Dinner in Many Months - Great Service, Food, Management”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at the Inn at Ormsby Hill and had already made a reservation before checking in. When we told Yoshi (Ormsby Hill owner) we had made a reservation at the Ye Old Tavern (YOT) upon checking in, he said "excellent choice", you'll really like it there. We made a reservation for 6:30 and first had a drink at the bar which was great - bar is very small and sits only about 5-6. We were then seated at booth in the bar area which was perfect.

The service, food and ambiance were amazing. We ordered stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer which was cool and not cooked with the initial serving. We informed them of this 'issue' and the manager/owner and server could not appologize enough. The 2nd order, which was piping hot, came out of the kitchen within minutes of our voicing the complaint/concern (this is the way all restaurants should handle issue - with class and genuine concern for the patron).

We ordered the steak and salmon and the flavor of both dishes was superb. All of the sides were fresh, tasty and well balanced with the meal. We eat out about 70-80% of the time and this was one of the best meals we have had in a very long time. I would go back to the YOT in a heartbeat when back in the area.

• Visited December 2012
Michael B, Owner at YE OLDE TAVERN, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
I remember your visiting our historic tavern. . My staff and I take great pride in making sure that every guests evening a special one. If your appetizer or any course of your meal is not to your liking, it is our job to correct it. Thank you so much for listening to Yoshi's suggestion and dining with us! It is great to read that you enjoyed yourself, and greatly appreciate the review. See you next time. Michael

Brooklyn, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

The food is outstanding -- savory traditional meals (roast turkey, chicken pot pie, pasta for the little ones, etc.) prepared to absolute perfection. The dining room is cozy and has a colonial feel -- a great place for a quiet, delicious, special meal.

Visited December 2012
Michael B, Owner at YE OLDE TAVERN, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Amy,
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your Ye Olde Tavern experience. We strive to offer a traditional New England meal and atmosphere and it looks like we met those goals. Thanks you very much for dining with us and writing this great review. I look forward to welcoming you many more times. Michael
Arlington, Vermont
“Fantastic meal in a charming setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Had a wonderful experience dining at this charming, antique restaurant. The food was wonderful...loved the veal Neptune, and the cassoulet and fish platter were big hits with my friends. The service was professional, but not overbearing. Try the Vermont Martini...a mix of unique vodka with a touch of maple syrup. Can't wait to return!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Michael B, Owner at YE OLDE TAVERN, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
I am thrilled and humbled by your enthusiastic review. During this busy time of year, I am very appreciative that you took the time, not only to enjoy our hospitality but also to write such an extensive review. May you have a wonderful New Year and thank you for dining with us! Michael
New Jersey
“Great New England Colonial Grub.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

In my opinion, if you're going to go somewhere like Vermont, you have to make an effort to try and find somewhere that serves up great colonial food and this is one such place.
The building has been a restaurant for pretty much all of its existence. The floors are wide planked and warped. The decor is old world colonial and the food is outstandingly good.
For starters enjoy the free plate of cranberry fritters with maple butter. How good is that for colonial? Awesome!
For our first course we had the Lobster Bisque and the Pumpkin Bisque. Mmmm! Perfect way to start dinner on a chilly autumn day. Great taste and nicely presented. For the main course I had the Pot Roast with Mashed Potatoes and my fiancee had the Chicken Pot Pie with Brussel Sprouts and Mashed Butternut Squash. What could be wong with that? Comfort food at its best!
Dessert consisted of a Chocolate Bombe Flambe, and my favorite, Warm Cranberry Apple Crumb with Vanilla Ice Cream.
As with all places like this in Vermont, it is suggested that you make your reservations days or weeks ahead of time otherwise you will be out of luck. We loved this place and the town with its shopping outlets. It is definitely a must stop on the way home.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Mitso58
Michael B, Owner at YE OLDE TAVERN, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
You have just made my morning, thanks!!! What a great detailed review, including pictures. This review is the kind a travel writer would print. I see you must have been here before Thanksgiving, since one of the pictures is of our pumpkin bisque. I cannot thank you enough for dining with us and for the review. I look forward to having you dine with us again. Happy New Year! Michael
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

We dined here with our three sons on Saturday, December 16. The building is 222 years old! I loved all the stenciling, the fireplace and the dim lighting. The floorboards are wavy and creaky. I could feel the history around me! We had the filet and lobster, fisherman's platter, chicken pot pie and 2 orders of scallops for our entrees, crab stuffed mushrooms and the Brie and apples for appetizers. We enjoyed them all. I would love to have the squash recipe! Our waiter was very attentive as well.

Michael B, Owner at YE OLDE TAVERN, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
It was a pleasure having you and your family as our guests. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our 222 year old building, the food and service. Thank you for taking a moment to let everyone know about your evening at Ye Olde Tavern and of course dining with us. I look forward to welcoming you back again. Happy Holidays! Michael