“Perfect romantic getaway”

Ranked #4 of 12 Manchester B&B and Inns
new york city
“Perfect romantic getaway”
Reviewed January 5, 2010

I literally googled "romantic places in Vermont" for a quick getaway with my boyfriend during the holiday and Manchester popped up. All I knew about Manchester was that it was a little less than a 3 hour drive from us so we decided to go. North Shire lodge was PERFECT and I'm so glad that we didn't over spend at any of the fancy bed and breakfasts that were only a few miles down the road. The owners were so friendly and made you feel at home. The rooms were spotless and smelled fresh. The view was spectacular and there was a little table right next to the sliding doors where we opended a bottle of wine and enjoyed the view. It was so cozy and felt like a bed and breakfast without the over priced charges. The lodge has every single board game you can think of and a ton of great movies that you can sign out and bring to your room. The pub that recently opened was adorbale and had the best french dip sandwich you'll ever have! The beers were delicous and the fireplace was cozy in the pub/lounge. The village of Manchester was less than 5 miles down the road. A++++ for this lodge!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed January 3, 2010

I have stayed in plenty of places and this little lodge is the clear favorite for me and my daughter, so we've been back for the second ski season over the holidays. It is small, personal and charmingly decorated - the rooms with Norman Rockwell pictures. There are hundreds of movies for adults and kids to loan out for free, as well as plenty of games you can take to your rooms for evening fun. You can now also enjoy a simple dinner at their pub. Moreover, dont forget to ask about the discounted tickets for the Bromeley ski area!

They have a wonderful breakfast with English muffins, bagels, cereals, coffee, teas, orange juice etc. The only thing missing for me would have been a non-sugar cereal option like cheerios or grape nuts.

Kerry and Tim, the owners, are always there for friendly advice. Also, when my car batteries were dead one morning, Tim was there in a flash to get the car jump-started so we could hit the slopes on time!

So I can recommend this place for anybody looking for a homely, warm stay away from home.

M. Dawson

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Richmond
Reviewed December 30, 2009

My wife and I go up to Manchester every year to ski, shop, and relax. This year we tried the North Shire Lodge. I must say that it is the best place we have stayed while in Manchester! We were lucky enough to be there when the pub and bar opened. Let me tell you after a long day of skiing it was great to walk a few feet, sit relax with the fire they had going, eat and have a few beers. I had the French dip, which is called “The best French dip you will ever have!” and it was! My wife had the pub burger which she also enjoyed. I had a few beers and my wife had a cocktail since they have a fully stocked bar, and since you don't have to drive back to your room it's perfect! We WILL be back next year because this place is just amazing! The rooms are great, clean with great views!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I was here for a couple of nights for a wedding, and as a solo traveler this was a good deal. It was a quick drive into town, and had a nice, serene location with a view of the countryside and mountains.

The room itself is nothing special, and don't expect any modern amenities. But it was clean if nothing else, and quite comfortable. Which is to be expected for a "B&B" versus a big chain hotel.

The staff were super friendly, and check-in was quick and easy. You can park right in front of your little lodge, which is handy.

Overall a very nice stay - and a good value for the area during peak season.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank cj_minneapolis
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I've stayed at the North Shire twice, and am looking forward to an upcoming visit in October. My first visit was in August 2008 with a friend. I enjoyed it so much that I brought my husband back in August 2009 for a weekend of rest during a very stressful time in our lives. Unfortunately, the weather that weekend was awful with record breaking rains, but the North Shire was so homey, that we didn't mind. We chatted with the innkeepers, opened a bottle of wine and got to sit down and read, and even watched some DVD's in the evening. All in all it was a great weekend (except for my speeding ticket - beware of those 25 mph towns). I'm looking forward to my return visit in a few weeks with a friend. I can taste those cinnamon rolls now, and feel so relaxed just thinking about the beautiful views of the mountains from our room, and the cool, fresh, New England air.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
maine
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We'd definitely go back. What a great little place. "Motel" doesn't do it justice; it's almost like a B&B. Great views. Nice clean rooms. Wonderful, friendly, and attentive owners/managers. We really enjoyed our stay. (Especially the homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast.)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Nazareth, PA
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Everything about the North Shire was wonderful. We were warmly greeted. The room was large and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The view was spectacular. The rates were very good for the area. They're adding a pub. If I ever had to return to the area, I'd definitely stay there.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family