“quiet little secret”

North Shire Lodge & Mountain View Pub
Ranked #1 of 12 Manchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 16, 2009

I stayed here for two nights to snowboard at Stratton mountain. The rooms were clean and the area was quiet. The owners were very nice and helpful. We had bad weather the one day and the owner cancelled ours lift tickets for us and we got refunded. Reasonable distance from the slope....about 20 min. Glad I found this place.....

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
NorthShireVermont, owner at North Shire Lodge & Mountain View Pub, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2009

Thanks for staying with us! You were a great group to have here and hope to see you back next winter. Sorry it rained when it should have snowed but at least we were able to save you from skiing in the rain!

Reviewed March 13, 2009

I can't say enough about the great place! The rooms are very clean, and spacious, and the view is great too. You can tell that Tim and Kerry of the North Shire really care about the motel as well as the guests in a sincire way. They go out of there way to make sure everything is perfect for you, and are more than happy to answer any questions you got around the area. Also, there is alot of information provided in the lobby about the area, including menus from local resturants, which is great if you dont know where to go to eat. They also have a breakfast area and lounge at your disposal of which we did not use, but looked very nice to me also. We did use the free movie rentals, and that was a nice touch if you wanted to see a movie at night in your room. And they had a good amount of movies to choose from as well. My wife and I went to the North Shire for a couple days to go skiing at Sratton Ski Resort, and the location could not be more perfect. It is just outside of Manchester, but I think thats a good thing. It can get a little busy up there by the outlets, so it's distance keeps it much more peaceful. Besides, it's only a very short drive to get to town, mayby 5-10 minutes and about 20-25 minutes to Stratton Ski Resort. Also Bromley Ski Area is even closer than Stratton, maybe around 15 minutes away. (Didn't go there, but passed it on the way to Stratton) Also, they have GREAT skiing pakages to Stratton and Bromley Ski Areas that are a fantastic deal! So if considering to stay a couple days for a ski trip, you cant beat the deals thay got, so checkout the website (northhiremotel.com), it's much, much cheaper then getting lift tickets and lodging seperately. Bottom line, the place is a true jem in this area of the country for skiing southern vermont, outlet shopping, and I would be willing to bet the foliage in the fall in fantastic on Historic Route 7a as well. I would not hesitate to stay there again, I'd recommend it to anyone! :)

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JayBonTravelers
Reviewed February 18, 2009

My boyfriend and i spent a long weekend at the North Shire and were a little concerned as it was so affordable. We had a fantastic time, the rooms were large and clean and well-maintained, the service was warm and breakfast was delicious. The place was very quiet and it almost felt like our own private hotel. I would recommend this motel to anyone who was traveling to the Manchester area.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda K
Reviewed February 11, 2009

I still love this place.

In the three years we have been skiing in the area, we haven't stayed anywhere else. We both figured we liked it and were more than satisfied, why go anywhere else? The rooms are still spotless and I do believe the value is fantastic. Kerry and Tim continue to be gracious and accomodating hosts. This is the place other motels should aspire to.

What to expect: Large rooms with cathedral ceilings, a thermostat, air conditioning, cable tv, mini fridge and coffee maker. The beds are very comfortable. Since you control the heat, the extra comforter we brought wasn't necessary. The view is fantastic.

Since the motel is situated on a hill just off the main road, it was quiet (in the winter anyway, gotta keep the door shut!) and pleasant.

The "big house" offers a continental breakfast and coffee, with a separate seating area and fireplace. You can relax in front of the fire and play one of the many board games they have. They also have a large video library--dvds and videos you can take back to your room. There is also a microwave--which is great because eating out in Manchester is a little expensive (to this New Yorker).

Did I mention the delicious cinnamon rolls?

As I've said, we've been coming here and stayed nowhere else for three years. I couldn't ask for anything more.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emsmandms
Reviewed October 29, 2008

Talk about good fortune, My wife and I stopped in the North Shire, to see about room availibilty, and scored with a beautiful stay. The passion that the owners have for their place, comes through the moment you meet them and get in your room. The best place to stay at in the Manchester area.....

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2008

This was a very nice location for exploring southern VT. The place feels more like an inn than a motel. Breakfast was continental, but the owner makes delicious cinnamon buns with maple cream! Not to be missed. The rooms are clean, although the decor could do with an update... appreciated the fridge in the room. They had videos and DVD's to borrow, as well as board games. Too cold for the pool so I can't comment on that, but it was a lovely tranquil location to base our travels. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarissaNH
Reviewed October 17, 2008

I booked this motel on the basis of the positive reviews (and economical price compared with the overpriced "spa" type places in Manchester) for our return journey to New Jersey from Canada. We stayed two nights and were not disappointed.

Location is, yes, a bit outside Manchester center (10 min drive or so) but not a problem when you have a car. Would you walk to the shops if you stayed at the Equinox Resort? I seriously doubt it.

The location is a bit closer to civilization than the photos on the website might lead you to believe, both in terms of proximity to the road and proximity to other properties. But neither is a problem.

There is a wonderful rustic lounge in the motel, I can imagine it's very cosy on a cold winter day with the fire on. Unfortunately it's for adults only so with our young one in tow we didn't make use of it.

Breakfast was great (hot cinnamon buns were available on Friday morning, so it wasn't just weekends, cf below). Lots of choices of cereal, bagels, banana bread. Coffee is available all day, not just at brekkie time.

Wi-fi connection was 100% reliable and there was a shared computer in the common room. A very impressive DVD and VHS movie collection with surprisingly up to date titles.

I thought the views from the lower numbered rooms were a bit nicer than the higher numbered ones (2 is nearest the road, 15 furthest away, but with 2 you get to see a nicer cross section of the hills in the distance).

Sound from neighbour's room (we were on the end) was only audible when their kid was running up and down. As we have a kid of our own making her own noise, we understood and didn't find this to be a problem or disturbing. I think the sound proofing is pretty good compared with all the places I have stayed in my life.

Rooms themselves were of good quality - nice beds and bathroom.

Mrs. Innkeeper was very nice and extremely helpful.

Someone below wrote that there is not much to do in the area. Two things we enjoyed were (1) the Equinox Skyline Drive (entrance v close to the motel) and (2) the bookshop in town - I'm a history buff and found some very interesting titles and the kids area was great for our daughter.

In short, I heartily concur with all the positive reviews, and would love to come back to try a stay during the summer when the pool is open.

Stayed: October 2008