“A comfortable place to stay”

North Shire Lodge & Mountain View Pub
Ranked #4 of 12 Manchester B&B and Inns
Wantagh, New York
“A comfortable place to stay”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The North Shire Lodge made our trip to Vermont very enjoyable. Kerry and Tim are gracious host. There rooms are clean and very affordable. Tim not only makes a great breakfast but a nice martini also. Even though we didn't have the chance to eat dinner there I heard from other guest Kerry is an amazing cook and look forward to sampling her cooking on our next visit..
Thanks again for your hospitality
Clare and Guy
Wantagh NY

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have been coming to the North Shire Lodge for the fourth winter holiday and there is a reason for it. The lodge is truly a little gem. It is a home away from home - without the chores and all the joys! The rooms are spacious, tastefully decorated, with your "private" view of the Vermont hills, equipped with all the amenedites, including a fridge. You can borrow movies and board games from office, ideal for family fun during a stormy night. In the morning you can enjoy a home-made, warm Vermont breakfast and a cozy dinner at night. For skiers, there are discount coupons for the Bromley ski area.

Tim and Kerry, the ones who make all this possible, are very gracious hosts! I can only recommend a stay with them!

Room Tip: As all rooms are in a condo-style row, there is very little noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I had a lovely visit to the North Shire Lodge in September. When we drove up it looked like it might be old, but I had done my research on TripAdviser and knew it would be great. I was right- the rooms were updated so well, that you would never think the property was old at all. The little cottages all have lovely views and so private! In the restaurant they have the most amazing drink menus for a small place. The food was fabulous and the service wonderful. Thanks- we will be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sydneykitty
Litchfield, Connecticut
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I read all of the reviews before I booked and was not disappointed. This is a lovely get away lodge with a great location and very clean, well appointed rooms. The beds and the linen were perfect and the rooms are very spacious. We also tried the pub one night and the martinis and nachos were great. I highly recommend the lodge. Fantastic get away weekend spot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thornwood, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We consulted TripAdvisor to help us decide where to stay on a planned visit to Manchester and my husband and I agreed that the North Shire lodge looked just like we we had in mind. We were not disappointed. The lodge looks just rustic enough from the outside but the rooms are delightfully up-to-date. Breakfast both days was delicious. It is located just a short drive from the center of town and views of the mountains are great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Malvern, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Room was very clean. Nice touch with fridge & HD TV. Nice views from back of the room; although would have preferred a small deck rather than stones & grass to sit outside.Had one dinner at the Pub & 2 breakfasts. All the food was plentiful & very good.Other than a bit of a noisy fridge, sleep quality was fine with comfortable beds & good temperature control.
Location was convenient to Manchester, Bennington & the covered bridges.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wellington, Ohio
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I’m anxiously anticipating my 7th visit to the Northshire Lodge this weekend. I plan to visit Manchester yearly as long as I can get someone to go with me, and have no intention or reason to stay anywhere but the Northshire.

The Lodge itself is lovely. The grounds are very well-cared for, and every year it seems they do something to add to its charm. One year it was a garden. Recently they added a tiny succulents garden I'm determined to duplicate at home!

Every room I’ve stayed in is cheerily decorated, spotless (thanks, Tina!), comfortable and airy. The artwork is right up my alley, and each room has a different but equally attractive theme. Each room has a sliding glass door that reveals a stunning view of the mountain, plus views of the sheep farm at the base of the hill that’s so lovely I’ve wondered if they pay the farmer to be picturesque!

The price is very reasonable, especially for what you get. What do you get? Cheerful and attentive staff and owners, lovely rooms, charm, amazing (think all-CAPS) food, peace and quiet, good proximity to downtown Manchester, DVDs and board games to borrow – the list goes on and on. Am I gushing yet? Gushing, but honest!

Really, you could go there just for the breakfasts. The owner, Kerry, creates delightful and unique dishes, and she happily caters to different dietary needs. I’ve been to other breakfast places (Up For Breakfast is very good) but Kerry outdoes them all.

One last thing to note: On our last visit, my brother and I had unexpected, bad (scary) experience caused by a badly behaved guest. Tim, the owner, resolved the issue immediately and took exceptionally good care of us. He immediately moved us to another room - even literally helping us move our stuff. He salvaged our trip! A day later, my brother became very ill with the flu, and again, Tim and Kerry took great care of us. A lot of not-fun things happened in those few days and yet the attention and concern we experienced at the Northshire still left us with great memories of a lovely trip - and that "we can't wait to come back" feeling! Now THAT’S good service!

Go there. You won’t be sorry.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family