“Outstanding food and service”
Review of Brasserie L'Oustau - CLOSED

Brasserie L'Oustau
Cuisines: French, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1/4 mile East of Exit 4, Route 7
Description: Refined French brasserie dining, American style. Prix Fixe, Plats du Jour, Children's, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free menus.
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have been coming to Vermont for many years, to the Manchester area, but somehow have missed this excellent French restaurant. The food and service was excellent. Our first visit but definitely not the last. The best restaurant in the area.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

The owner Michelle was very welcoming and came to our table during the meal to pour some wine. The wine list was nice and not overpriced. Apps and entrees were pricey and complex in taste and ingredients. I had a beet salad with pistachio nuts, arugula and some sort of cream. It was delicate and delicious. Others in the party had muscles that had a lovely juice and escargot in a pastry. I did not have the escargot but dipped the dinner bread in the delicious juices. I had short ribs for dinner. The dish was pretty simple compared to the French description. We ordered Frittes (fries) for the table. They were good but they were just fries although they were described as "the correct way to make fries). The Creme Brulee was luscious, the other desserts good. Our waiter was attentive and was able to describe, in detail, everything on the menu.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We can't say enough about this exquisite restaurant. The service is impeccable and the food is on par with the most acclaimed restaurants. Surely one of our best dining experiences throughout our culinary adventures in Vermont and Boston.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was our first visit to this restaurant and we can't say enough about their customer service. We had our Havanese with us and the owner went out of his way to accommodate us so we could have her with us eating on the terrace. He moved several umbrellas so we would be covered in case of rain. Our food was delicious and we will definitely be going back.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

A vegetarian menu presented at an upscale French restaurant? It's an unexpected, welcome accommodation for people who don't eat meat but love good food.

Beginning with cocktails, they offer some signature items that our server recommended and they turned out to be pretty divine. I had a martini made with fresh pear juice which was not too sweet and refreshing while my wife had a Kir Royale that was well executed. They have an extensive wine menu: whites and reds, sparklers, and many options by the glass. My wife chose glasses of Chablis for us -- given that Chablis is a treat to find on a menu and a double treat when it can be had by the glass.

On this evening, the server pointed out that they had a potato-ale soup that was vegetarian -- delightfully garnished with a chive oil and otherwise perfectly seasoned. (My pleasure in spite of the fact it was 90 degrees outside!) My wife had the roasted beet and fromage salad. The beets were cooked to perfection and the soft fromage blanc maison, pistachios, argula and chestnut honey highlighted their earthiness without overwhelming.

For entrees, I had the tofu fricassee and my wife the tian provencale, The fricassee won the best bite of the night award -- incredibly. Two Vermont sourced tofu steaks, seasoned and cooked in such a way that they transcended tofu. It was amazing. The bed of lentil salad and the carrot emulsion were all worthy supporting cast members. The tian was lovely and only edged out by the tofu. When she shared it with me I found the eggplant caviar was rich and delicious enough to stand on it's own -- but it was the roasted tomato sauce that grabbed my attention compelling me to sop the last bits up with the most excellent baguette that is provided.

We chose a hazelnut-choclate torte for dessert which was a dense, intensely hazel-nutty cake topped with a to-die-for chocolate ganache. The surprises kept right on until the end: they offer iced lattes! It felt a little odd drinking this milk-shake looking thing but given the heat I was thankful I could get my caffeine dose and be cooled at the same time.

Our experience with the service was excellent. Our waitress had command of the menu (drinks and food) and awareness and sensitivity to our food predilection. Something simple like knowing the soup du jour was vegetarian is not something we take for granted with waitstaff. She knew her food and clientele. I think that says a lot about the people who run the restaurant and their expectations of their staff. The back staff were always there to fill a glass, remove a plate, deliver hot food - and they were all pleasant and helpful.

With tip we were in the $180 range but it was worth every penny. The food and service were superb. We'll need to find reasons to make the trip over from the Eastern side of Vermont more frequently now I'm afraid.