“Very French; Very Good”
Review of Brasserie L'Oustau - CLOSED

Brasserie L'Oustau
Cuisines: French, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1/4 mile East of Exit 4, Route 7
Description: Refined French brasserie dining, American style. Prix Fixe, Plats du Jour, Children's, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free menus.
Reviewed October 11, 2012

A bit of a surprise to find Michel, the owner, greeting us at the door on a slow weekday evening in October. A nicely appointed white table cloth restaurant, far more than a Brasserie, with excellent service, great oysters, and nicely done mussels as well. Highly recommended but not inexpensive.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I felt pampered and comfortable enjoying a delicious, generous meal here! The French speaking owner visited us several times to make sure we were happy. Our bartender/server, Michelle, was very professional and very friendly without being obtrusive. In fact, there were only 3 of us dining at the bar, so it was wonderful to have a lovely conversation with Michelle, and we discovered she, my husband, and myself had many experiences in common!
The wine list by the bottle was well-rounded in terms of price and variety. We chose a Barolo which was fairly priced and quite tasty.
The prix fixe was a bargain at $35: I had an amazingly yummy, rich, cold cucumber soup; precisely prepared calves' liver; and a truly delicious almond cake for dessert.
My husband had roast duck and creme brulee and he was also quite pleased with his meal. The portions were very generous: we wrapped part of almost every course to enjoy at home the next day! When we are in Manchester again, this will be first on our list for dining!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have had a ski home on Stratton Mountain for many years, and always paid a visit to Laney's, the casual restaurant that was housed in the location where the Brasserie now resides. When we were told that a French brasserie had taken its' place, we were curious and excited to see what it would be. Over Labor Day weekend we tried it for dinner. The atmosphere is lovely with dark woods, overhead hanging lamps, and a more sophisticated vibe. The food was every bit as good as any we've had in France or in Manhattan restaurants. I had the Bronzino and my husband had the Monkfish in a light red tomato broth. Both were very fresh, presented with just picked vegetables. There is a very nice selection of wines, at every price point. For dessert, we chose the fruit sorbets of several very natural flavors. A definite winner, recommended to all.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Drove to Manchester for a late lunch/ early dinner. Not much is opened on a Monday, no less a holiday. We decided to give the restaurant a try, since they were opened and we never ate there before. Great service and atmosphere. I think it would in the restaurants benefit if they gave English descriptions of the food. We had to ask the waitress a few questions. It's Vermont, not Canada. Was a bit pricey for lunch, but what we had was tasty and unique. We will go back. Not a place for people with small children.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had lunch when we were leaving Manchester. The atmosphere was very nice. We had onion soup which was very traditional and delicious. One person had mussels, eggs benedict, and steak. This was a delightful experience. We had a couple exotic cocktails. I can't wait to go back to have dinner. Prices were reasonable. I wish more restaurants were like this. The owner came over a couple times to check on us as well.