“Hidden Gem”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Fort Lee, New Jersey
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Hidden off the beaten path in Manchester, Vermont, Panda Garden is a great find. After a full day of outlet shopping, everyone in our party voted for Chinese food. We ate at the Panda Garden many times and were never disappointed. Food is always fresh and tasty. Attentive and friendly service.

• Visited April 2013

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

The restaurant is clean and the food is good. We went with the family, a large group and the service was great. We ordered several plates so we taste could enjoy different meals. The tangerine beef was superb and is a MUST, the fried rice lacked some flavour but it was ok. The chinese pasta wass also good. Sushi was perfect. They also have like a chinese "taco" made with rice and it comes with plum sauce and you add it the meat with cabbage it is awesome. We also drink a chinese beer, it was good. The prices are affordable, so this makes a perfect place to come if you visit Manchester.

• Visited February 2013
New York City, New York
“Has Potential, Needs Work”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I have been vacationing in Manchester, Vermont for years but have not tried Panda Garden until our most recent trip. It's conveniently located between Manchester Village and Manchester Center. We thought it would be a nice diversion from the typical American fare that Vermont is known for, so we decided to try it for lunch.
It was uneven at best. My husband's wonton soup was decent but my salad (from the Japanese side of the menu) was a mound of waterlogged iceberg lettuce, that literally needed to be put through a salad spinner. It came with a ginger dressing that was heaped on top--I scraped most of it to the side of the plate. The salad was so wet that the dressing was completely diluted.
For the main course my husband ordered a California roll while I opted for "Shrimp Amazing." There were several "amazing" dishes on the luncheon menu but since there was no description it was hard to know just what made the dishes so amazing. The waitress explained that the "amazing" dishes came with a variety of vegetables, including bamboo shoots, mushrooms, broccoli, red peppers,etc. These dishes were all served in a medium spicy brown sauce. Since the food was less than mediocre to the point I didn't hold out much hope that the main course would be any better, but I was pleasantly surprised when the dish, while not exactly amazing, was actually pretty good. The shrimp were plump and firm, the sauce had a good kick, and the vegetables were plentiful and fresh. A bit salty, perhaps, but good overall.
For dessert my husband was in the mood for chocolate ice cream but that wasn't on their menu. Vermonters must not like chocolate ice cream because that was the second time in two days a restaurant didn't serve it. His choices were vanilla and green tea, so he decided to be a little more adventurous and go green. The portion was huge but full of ice crystals, making it unpalatable to eat and look at.
If you're in the mood for Chinese food, Panda Garden is about your only option in Manchester. If you stick with the "amazing" dishes you'll be all right. Other than that I'd try to satisfy an urge for Chinese another time another place.

• Visited January 2013
Hyde Park, Vermont, United States
“odd...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Having eaten at this place for lunch a few times in the past two years (little choice for Chinese in this little ville) I had given up on it. The tall good looking but condescending man in charge was absent today, replaced by a shorter, less good looking fellow who was not quite as diffident. The waitress who tended to me, and all others today, was perfectly pleasant and efficient. I ordered a special which was a fish with black beans. It was good, but had way too much salt/soy sauce for my liking. However, it was otherwise seasoned with heat and spark, and was quite delicious when added to the bowl of white rice. Still, I was panting for liquid, and asked for a drink. The wait person nicely explained that at this time the restaurant had no liquor license, so I made do with tea and ice water. Overall, it probably is not a 3, but more of a 2... but there were good points, and I keep thinking this place will indeed be better. I'll try again.

• Visited November 2012
Spring Valley, New York
“As Expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

The restaurant is nice looking - large and clean. The service was courteous. Maybe we just ordered badly but my boyfriend and I weren't impressed with the food. It wasn't bad - just not excellent. I felt like it was the same as food one could order from your average Chinese takeout with better presentation. The prices are pretty good - I might get takeout from here in the future but there are better places in the area for a nice sit down dinner.

• Visited October 2012