“Ordinary; slightly high priced”
Review of Marsh Tavern

Marsh Tavern
Ranked #24 of 60 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The historic Marsh Tavern was the first building erected on the site of what is today the expansive Equinox resort. One of the first lodging houses in Vermont, its history predates the Revolutionary War. Today it is home to a celebrated restaurant and meeting place. Renowned for its hearty New England fare, patrons can enjoy a delicious lunch and the finest regional dinner cuisine. And for good fun, spend a while in the Tavern Lounge for cocktails, a tasty menu and outdoor seating for wine and spirits. Open daily.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We visited the Marsh Tavern for a late lunch (3:30) as they seem to be the only restaurant serving at that hour, given they are part of the Equinox Hotel. There is a limited pub menu at that time with cheeseburger for $14, large meatball for $10, chicken wings for $15, and a few other items. I had the burger and my companion had the meatball. My burger was cooked correctly, and although I wasn't advised that it came with fries, Bob the bartender happily brought me a small side salad alternatively. The meatball and sauce was good. Lunch for two with two beers totaled $36 pre-tip.

There are newer reviews for Marsh Tavern

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We love Vermont and have eaten well throughout the state, but our recent Sunday evening visit to the Marsh Tavern was a big mistake. I wish we had read some other reviews before making a reservation. My husband ordered the Lobster Bake, a $34 piece of highway robbery. One lobster claw does not make for a lobster meal, especially when lobster is retailing for $4.99 per pound. If there had been a decent amount of other seafood, that might have saved the dish, but there were only 3 shrimp and a few clams to round out the dish. Add to that the heavy hand with the salt, and the dish was a disaster. The corn chowders were not much better - a better description would have been potato chowder. And does nobody know how to season a bowl of soup or chowder? As much as we tried to add some flavour with the addition of salt and pepper, it was like eating a bowl of bland mush. My daughter ordered the duck, which was edible, but the potato pancake that it sat on had clearly been cooked earlier in the day and simply thrown in the microwave prior to service. The family consensus was that would would have eaten better at Red Lobster for a fraction of the price. We are foodies who don't mind paying a high price for great food, but to pay what we paid for slop which the kitchen clearly doesn't care about, is inexcuseable. We can only imagine that with the well-to-do who pass through the Equinox Hotel and are not willing to make a fuss, the Marsh Tavern doesn't have to care about what they serve. The fact that our waitress, the assistant chef who came out to see us but didn't even bother to ask what was wrong with what dishes, and the young manager of the restaurante didn't seem to grasp that there was a problem or try to fix it properly, made for a very unpleasant evening. After having a first class meal at Keepers Restaurant in Reading, Vermont the night before, I was in tears over the shambles of a high-priced dinner at a place where nobody even gave a crap. Shame... Be forewarned and eat at The Marsh Tavern at your peril.

1  Thank InkOttawa
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Marsh Tavern is not a gourmet restaurant, to be sure, but the ambience is lovely--with lots of folks there to make the atmosphere fun. The food is what you might expect from a New England tavern--albeit in a high-priced resort. The price of food and drink in the tavern was also, however, not what it would be in the Equinox's main dining room. I had a perfectly prepared shepherd's pie with a nice wine to match. We spoke to someone in one of the town's shops who told us that she often goes there for lunch. Makes sense to me!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The food was of great quality and the service was professional. The major problem was that management attempted to combine gourmet dining with a casual tavern atmosphere. Didn't work for us.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I tried both the Tavern and The Chop House, both experiences were stunningly awful in all terms - service, food quality and ridiculously high price tags. The Chop House lacked any flavor sophistication for a "steak house" and the meat quality was abysmal. The meal was so horrible even the waiter agreed. Once he deigned to return to the table, he did at least comp the meal. The Tavern side continued the trend with awful service in combination with a just a silly excuse for a "Lobster Bake" lacking in anything remotely close to actual lobster. When questioned, the waiter returned with a plate of partially nuked, rather sad looking claws and asked "may I just dump them in". However, we laughed so hard, so for $34 dollars the giggles were almost worth it. Other than the gluten bread (outsourced) and the alcohol (also outsourced), I would run to any other restaurant in Manchester.

1  Thank Cpsriver