“A Great Place to Ring in the New Year”

The Inns at Equinox
Ranked #6 of 12 Manchester B&B and Inns
Westport, Connecticut
“A Great Place to Ring in the New Year”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our family and other family friends have been going to the Equinox for the New Year's Eve celebration for the past 5 years. It is a great place to enjoy family time and celebrate the holidays. There are events scheduled for the kids - a magic show, movies at night, bingo, hot chocolate and cookies at tea time every day, and a party with a DJ just for them on New Year's Eve. For the adults, there is a formal New Year's Eve party, the Spa, exercise classes, an outdoor hot tub, a big bonfire with champagne on New Year's Eve and a warm sitting area with a roaring fire. But what impresses me the most about the Equinox during this week is the generous attitude and extra effort they make to ensure this is a pleasant experience for everyone in the family.

The Hotel is old, but I believe it has incredible character and that the rooms and public areas have been kept up very well. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. And the staff is always available to help address any needs if you have them. The pool, spa and exercise areas are never crowded and they are kept impeccably. In addition, the hotel is situated on such a pretty New England street right in front of Equinox Mountain. If you are outdoorsy, like us, this is a great plus. The kids can sled right behind the hotel (with sleds provided for free by the hotel) on an awesome hill and my husband and I can strap on our snowshoes and hike any number of trails up and around the mountain. The hotel also provides free shuttles to 2 of the ski resorts in the area.

At night, after a satisfying dinner, either in the pub or in Manchester, we all reconvene in the library for drinks and a rowdy game of cards. To our family and friends it is a beautiful winter weekend and a great way to ring in the New Year and spend it all together.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel offers a great location and spacious accommodations. The hot tub is great, the tavern food is ok and the room was fairly clean (though dated). The public spaces in the hotel are grand and comfortable. Sadly the beds are too soft and smell of carpet cleaner, and the Formica sink area holds plastic cups wrapped in plastic. Manchester has a lot to offer besides the mountains and was worth the visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

The equinox reminds me of an aging musician (I was thinking rock star, but somehow using that term in conjunction with the equinox seemed incongruous). If you go to their concert late in their career, you either love the nostalgia, or wince at how far their talents have eroded. Having stayed at the equinox numerous times over many years, I feel a little of each of these emotions. Some of the old features live on, but many do not. Admittedly some of my dismay was a factor of timing, the place was overrun with I'll-behaved families (picture staying at Chuckie Cheese overnight), but some was a factor of the mass market touches that Starwood has imposed, such as plastic disposable cups in the guest rooms a la motel 6. Space does not allow me to list all the short comings, this was just emblematic of the chain hotel touches compliments of the current owners.

The food was uneven. Dinner at the Marsh Tavern was still quite good, although breakfast was virtually inedible. If you like Manchester there are now other places you can (and should) stay. If you are not tied to Manchester, great alternatives abound elsewhere in New England. Bottom line, for only a little more money, one could stay at the Mayflower, and have an infinitely better stay. On the other hand if you want to be surround

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stew T
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Recently I stayed with my “tween” daughter and her friend at the Equinox Resort and Spa for a quick girls getaway. This was my second stay at this property and I noticed some disparities from my prior visit. This visit, instead of the main inn, I stayed in the Townhomes building. There, the rooms were much larger and well equipped. This was a welcome change in comparison to the “quaint” sized room in the main building. Our room had two entries and we had our own patio with a lawn abutting a beautiful view of the mountains.

In contrast to our room, the level of service and graciousness of staff were quite varied. During our first trip to the pool, the girls were instructed to use the family locker room which had no shower and no toiletries. In addition, while I was freshening up in the elegant and luxurious women’s locker room, the girls conveyed they felt uncomfortable, as the spa staff watched their every move while they explored the items for sale in the spa lobby. I got the same sense when I had to notify the staff member of an unpleasant odor coming from the hot tub. While they had to drain and refill the hot tub because of a “chemical problem”, the staff member appeared annoyed that I brought it to her attention. We later had a small snack and hot chocolate at the marsh tavern and while the wait staff were cordial, the hot chocolate was very cold (spirited and non spirited!).

Finally, while the activities flyer notified us when we arrived at the pool for our “do over” of our hot tub experience that children were not permitted during the morning aerobic class; we were able to make the most of our finally day by convincing the water aerobics instructor to allow us to join in her class. The three of us had a great work out and met some nice women during the class. While I selected this property for a “tween” spa like getaway, I would not recommend this type of visit in the future, as children under 16 years of age can not participate in ANY spa services.

Room Tip: Townhouse Building on the the first floor gives you direct access to outside and the mountain views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank leighcarmen
Saratoga springs
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Thanks to a Living Social steal of a deal, my husband and I headed over to Manchester, Vt which is about 45 minutes from another great town - Saratoga Springs in NY. The brilliant fall foliage of the Green Mts offered the perfect backdrop for this pristine, historical New England inn set in Manchester, Vt. The accommodations, food, service, and all the finishing touches were first rate. Everything sparkled. We stayed in the main inn which was originally built in 1769, though today is quite grand and sprawling, modernized with furniture, fresh paint, and lots of windows to let in sunshine. We were greeted with cozy fires in each fireplace located in the public rooms all day and night. After a delicious dinner, we walked into the Falcons Bar for drinks and chocolates! There is a nice selection of both moderately priced. A favorite feature was the large fire pit on the rear patio that invited conversation by visitors sitting around it. All around us were the beautiful Green Mtns. Changing colors before our eyes. The new spa - unfortunately, in a separate new building? Was worth the short walk. A nice fitness center, large indoor pool, and other amenities were pleasing, as well! Also, on the premises is The unique school of falconry ( rare indeed!). Shopping abounds with nearby outlets and an Orvis Store and trout pond! A perfect over- nighter!

Room Tip: Stay in the main house if you can.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I previously wrote a review titled "Robbery" and after spending a night at the Equinox I feel the need to clarify a few things.

1. The Townhouses: I read from many reviews that the rooms were tiny and haven't been renovated. I disagree with both. I'm a NYer, so perhaps my idea of tiny clashes with the rest of America, but my room in the Inn was definitely not tiny. I'm still not sure why we were told a cot wouldn't fit; there was plenty of room. I guess they wanted to cash in on the fact that there were 3 of us.
The room itself was very nicely renovated and clean. It sort of reminded me of a W Hotel. And the Molton Brown products in the bathroom were a nice touch.

2. Price: I still think this hotel is waaaaay overpriced. I just don't get it.

3. The staff: Everyone was extremely friendly and accommodating.

So... I guess if you have to stay at the Equinox it wouldn't be a terrible thing, but I won't be rushing back anytime soon unless they lower their prices.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NYJanet
Cushing, Maine
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We were in the area for my husbands attendance at the orvis fly fishing school. The ambience,service with a smile,relaxing atmosphere and the plethora of things to do in the area made for a magical 23 days.Looking forward to returning.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple